Windows 7 Hate to say it but Windows 7 sucks in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
One never stops learning in IT. I'm self-taught + MS seminars, courses, conferences, various, webcasts & webinars, tons of reading, Tech Newsletters, various tech sites & forums & mainly & most importanting, Beta Testing OSs & definitely, all the hands-on experience w/ clients & their computer needs & problems, over the years. Tried to take a college course few years ago but, was running around the room helping the prof w/ the other students... they decided I was too advanced for the course.

Cheers,
Drew

Well, how about, 30+ years of running my own computer business, and building hundreds of computers for other people? While at the same time, working for four of the worlds largest Technology giants.

I was working on the big mainframes and electronic accounting machines, before the PC was ever invented.
When computer circuits were still a mass of transistors, resistors and diodes. There were NO IC's in those days. I even worked on computers with vacuum tubes in them.
(Boy, that brings back lots of memories!)

There is nothing I say here or on any of the other dozen or more forums I work, that's not based on lots of personal experience.

I had one college professor tell me one time, that with my experiences, I have the equivalent of five College Degrees. I just don't have the Sheep-Skins. (Diplomas)
I was hired by three major corporations, based on my resume alone.

There's guys on here and other forums with more formal training than I and with different work experience, but we all have one thing in common..... we really dig electronics.

I wish I could do with Windows 7, what I did with the Commodore 64, back in the early 80's.
I didn't like the C-64 OS, so I re-wrote it, to make it faster and more efficient.
I do as much as I can with Windows, but their code is still a big Secret and they like to keep it that way.

Cheers!
:cool:

Out of curiosity,where did you learn your computer skills? Andrea Borman.
A whole bunch of listening and paying attention and not presuming I know as much or more or even anything, when others with more experience and a far superior skill set speak. Consequently learning.

Again, back on Topic....
feed_trolls.gif

Every OS I've run since DOS 2.0 has had it's own good points and bad points.
But that's almost as ancient now as Noah and the Ark.

So now we have Windows 7, in various versions, (9 that I'm currently aware of) and just like in ancient times we have the complainers,
with NO idea in the world how to solve any of the problems, nor the desire to learn.
And really, most of the so called 'Problems' are really not problems at all but just a matter of personal preferences.

I've not found anything in Windows Vista, 7 or even 8 that's Broken, but just things that people are unfamiliar with and changes that people see no need for. Like Solitaire,,,,,, why change something that Works?

Many of my customers hate giving up their old familiar Windows XP. So when I have to set up a new PC for them, running Windows 7, I try to make it work and look as much like XP as possible. I even import the old Windows Solitaire for them, if they want it, and I'm surprised at just how many DO want it.
I'm sure I'll be doing the same thing when the next OS comes out.
Only time will tell.

O.T.

PS: What's wrong with Apple?
Scroll down...

worm.jpg

WORMS!

Absolutely, Randy!! Since in IT (like many things) one is always learning, 1 never knows it all. We, certainly, do gain immeasurably, from others, osmosis, open-mined, respect & humility, sharing & exchange. Pompous arrogance never has a place. It's a 2-way street that we gain from each other. Personally, I've always been keen the marriage & result of technology & esoterics... (ie, from music to art to IT ROI for enterprise) and I like helping others; ergo, advising, consulting, building machines for people & helping them address their IT concerns is fun & rewarding. Additionally, one will never be parred w/ another... the beauty is, colleagues complement & supplement each other... w/ various levels & areas of assets... it's usually there somewhere from someone... from there the needy get helped, everyone learns and forums flourish, lol :p

Cheers,
Drew

Hi

The truth is like it or not the Operating Systems have gotten better, anyone want to go back to Windows 3.1?
I had to reinstall that OS every couple of weeks, I even installed it on the same hard drive twice, once as Alternate Windows.

That way when the regular one would quite working I could log into the alternate one from the C:\prompt and get into my computer.

Windows XP was a big improvement over Windows 98 and Windows 7 is better then XP, plus you need it to run lots of ram etc.

It has it's flaws, the search function is a joke, (I don't know how you explain that) and the UAC will drive you crazy.
I expect both of those to be fixed in Windows 8. I have my fingers crossed.

I won't update my OS from 7 to 8 but in 2 years when it's time to get another new computer I will go to 8 and not look back.

I will be running the Windows 8 beta as dual boot though, just like I did with Windows 7!!!

Mike

Windows 8 will be popular because it runs so much faster than Windows 7
How much faster can it get. My Win7 boots in 12 seconds and calling programs is instant from the Crucial M4 SSD. If it gets any faster, it will spin my head and I won't even have time to sip my tea, LOL.

Besides it is difficult to predict perfomance from the developer edition. That is only a partial system. I remember the Win7 Beta which was also faster than the final product.

Hi

Windows XP was a big improvement over Windows 98 and Windows 7 is better then XP, plus you need it to run lots of ram etc.

It has it's flaws, the search function is a joke, (I don't know how you explain that) and the UAC will drive you crazy.
I expect both of those to be fixed in Windows 8. I have my fingers crossed.

Mike

Windows XP actually boots faster than Windows 7 and is slightly faster than Windows 7. But there is not much difference between the two of them. Windows XP is Windows 7,just an earlier version of it. But I like both versions of Windows.

As for UAC-User Account Control on Windows 7. I never use it.It is permanently disabled. I think when I got rid of the Internet Explorer web browser,the UAC went too. So it is not on any of my Windows 7 computers. But I do not miss that. UAC is very annoying. Andrea Borman.

"Windows XP actually boots faster than Windows 7 and is slightly faster than Windows 7. But there is not much difference between the two of them. Windows XP is Windows 7,just an earlier version of it. But I like bother versions of Windows.

As for UAC-User Account Control on Windows 7. I never use it.It is permanently disabled. I think when I got rid of the Internet Explorer web browser,the UAC went too. So it is not on any of my Windows 7 computers. But I do not miss that. UAC is very annoying". Andrea Borman.

• HOLY BLOODY SH*T!!!! I've sure seen & heard some bizarre stuff over the years... it hits you so strangely, you try to get it to the point you have some clue what to say in return, where to start, what could, should or would even possibly fit. Besides, shake my head & roll my eyes & EXCLAIM :eek: There is so much in the above text, blatant or underlying, between the lines that's weird, screwy, makes no sense, is false or impossible AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaRRRRRRRRRRRR!! Geeez, it's frustrating!!

Somebody get me a chair & stiff drink, PLEASE!!!!

OMG!!!

Take a breath Drew! Breath, dang it!

No matter how hard you or I try, ya gotta remember.........

fix-1.jpg

With some people, you can get right up in their face and shout "Shut UP!!!!!" and they still won't get it.
That may be the reason why there are so many murders in this world. Ya think? Eh?

I won't mention any names, of course, but SOME people should just get off of a technical forum, since they obviously have NO technical ability and take up a hobby, like maybe Knitting, or bird watching.

I've had to ban people from my own forum, who just obviously didn't have the nack for it and were constantly causing problems.

Drew, have a cold one, on me!

cheers3.gif

Thanks, mate... feeling much better, now :cool: As comes from Harley-Davidson, "If, I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".

Cheers,
Drew

I might! I bought my first Harley when I was a wee boy of 16.
Actually I was never a wee boy. At 16 I was 6'1" tall, 185 pounds and I rode with the Aces Motor Cycle Club.

Bikes were my first true love. Electronics and computers came along much later.

I have 16 computers in my house as of last count, (yesterday,) and thankfully not one of them runs Windows 7.
Yes, I do own every one of them. I built two, bought one and the rest have been given to me by my customers.
And yes again, , , they all run.

I have win-8 on two, Vista on one and XP on the rest.
Does that give you any idea, of how much I love Win-7? (NOT)

I may have to work with it, but I don't have to run it.

:furious:

Take a breath Drew! Breath, dang it!

No matter how hard you or I try, ya gotta remember.........

fix-1.jpg

With some people, you can get right up in their face and shout "Shut UP!!!!!" and they still won't get it.
That may be the reason why there are so many murders in this world. Ya think? Eh?

I won't mention any names, of course, but SOME people should just get off of a technical forum, since they obviously have NO technical ability and take up a hobby, like maybe Knitting, or bird watching.

I've had to ban people from my own forum, who just obviously didn't have the nack for it and were constantly causing problems.

Drew, have a cold one, on me!

cheers3.gif

So you have got your own forum?
That's interesting. What forum is it?
Do I know it?
Is it a Windows forum like this one?
Or just a general discussion forum that has nothing to do with computers?

I remember you mentioned that you have got your own forum on the thread about Classic Shell. So where is your forum? I could not find any forum under your user name on the web. I am just asking. I am not going to join it. Andrea Borman.

W,

" I bought my first Harley when I was a wee boy of 16.
Actually I was never a wee boy. At 16 I was 6'1" tall, 185 pounds and I rode with the Aces Motor Cycle Club.

Bikes were my first true love. Electronics and computers came along much later."

How cool that we share a passion for bikes & riding. Certainly, I was putting across the Eastern Townships on my 1st wee bike in my teens whilst living in Montreal; before there was much done towards audio engineering & well before any thought of IT (whatever that was)... now, here we are.
I am very involved, annually, w/ several charity motorcycle events... rides, shows, runs, rallys, as staff or Executive. Keeps me busy & helps activities & Community.

Cheers,
Drew

I agree that Windows 7 really sucks. I found out that 5.1 sound cards don't work properly in Windows 7 other than testing them out. I tried 3 different 5.1 sound cards. So I found a easy fix to that. I got a couple of 3.5mm stereo speaker/headset splitters to plug all 3 jacks of my 5.1 speakers into. Not a true 5.1, but hey it worked. Shortly after that I tried to use my recording software, but becuase my sound cards didn't have the functions like they did in Windows XP, I really had a fit over it.

So to make a long story short, I rolled my computer's OS back to Windows XP from 7, and let me tell you, I am glad to be back on XP. I only used 7 for "TWO DAYS", yes only two. If you would like to know how to roll back to a previous windows from 7, and still have the "Windows.old" folder on your hard drive, the instructions can be found at:

How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder

In step 4, you have to type in several commands, and you might get a message to the effect sytem cannot find specified file...that is ok, just go onto the next command in step 4. All will be ok...it worked for me, and I am back on what I think is the greatest OS for now....Windows XP.

I'm really struggling, to stay on topic and not start posting pictures of my 1951 BMW 500cc, R51/3, in Europe.

By the way, my forum is a "Gentleman's" forum, where we discuss the latest political topics. No girls allowed!

I also work two 'automotive forums' where we discuss our cars. I've done all my own automotive maintenance,
for the past 50+ years, so I have one-up on those young'uns who don't know a crescent wrench from a torque wrench.

Speaking (ON TOPIC) again, finally, of Win-7, it was a real bummer to me, when I first saw it and realized
that Microshaft, in their infinite wisdom, had disabled Windows Mail, that worked SO WELL in Vista.
It took me a while, but I finally found out that the only file that disables it is MSOE.dll.
Just delete that file and replace it with the one from Vista and Windows Mail is back up and running.
There's a few more steps to that, but that's the core of it anyway.

It's such a simple thing, to get an email program that's almost identical to our old-reliable O.E.6,
which is also what most all of my customers are used to using and would like to continue using.

You can't just import the Windows Address Book though. It first has to be exported from XP in the
.csv format, then it can be Imported into "Contacts" (the new Windows Address Book) in Win-7.

Once you know the rules, it's an easy game to play.
But OH for the novice, it would be a nightmare, to even attempt it.

So I would ask Bill Gates, "why does MS feel the need to change things that have worked for many years,
that the paying customers have known and loved?"

They (MS) even found the 'need' (?) to screw around with our old friend "Solitaire". I've been playing that game for two decades now and I spend at least an hour a day playing it. It keeps my 'Hand-Eye' co-ordination as acute as possible. Many of my old customers play it too and love it. Then came win-7 and a reworked SOL that didn't look or play the same. Grrrrrrrr!
Well, I found out, that if I take Sol.exe and cards.dll out of XP and transplant them into the root directory of Win-7, and then make a shortcut to the desktop, I can play the old familiar Sol on Win-7. "I love it, when a plan comes together!".
That also works for Win-8. Eh?

When I'm setting up a new Windows PC for one of my customers, with Win-7 on it, I'm constantly apologizing
for the things I can't control or change.
After much effort, I do wind up with a PC that looks and acts so much like Windows XP that my customer feels
right at home with it. At that point it's more a labor of love, than just a JOB for me.
They don't buy a new PC to get Win-7..... they buy a new PC because their old one gave up the ghost.
Most ask me if I can't just install Windows XP on their new PC. Usually, that's a NO-NO.

With every OS since DOS 2.0, I've found something to like about it. Even the hated Windows ME, had it's good points.
I had my own set of tweaks and mod's for that OS that made it as easy to work with as '98/SE. I still use the ME DOS
on all my DOS boot, Utilities disks. It can format a larger HD than '98/SE and had an advanced FDISK.
I used it to partition and format my new 1TB SATA III hard drive. NO Problemo!

XP was a huge BEAST at first, like something right out of "Tales from the Crypt". till I found out how to beat it down to size.
A little different take on an old saying would be, "Familiarity breeds acceptance".

So really there's nothing about Windows 7, that I have to do, that I'm not accustomed to doing with previous OS's. Tweak, tune, 'Chop, Cut and Rebuild'. Sorry, that's a TV program.
There's nothing made by man, that can't be improved on. Way too many people are satisfied with imperfection and mediocrity.
(Do we know anyone like that?)

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
O.T.

MrOldFaht.jpg

LOL. I keep telling myself not to browse this thread anymore!!!!
Its a bit like trying to explain things to my wife - I just end up retiring in total frustration.
From now on. A late new year resolution. I will not follow threads that exceed 2 pages!!!!!!

"Rapidly nearing senility" ??? You too?
No wife here! At least I solved that problem. rofl

Since we're supposed to stay on topic, let me say something about Windows 7.

"Yeah, Windows 7 sucks!".
Mr Moderator, how's that for staying on-topic?*-)

KeepOnTruckin.gif

"Mr Gorbachev, tear down that wall!" Ronald Reagan

Hi

I can only speak for my computer (which is a high performance gaming rig, as high as 400 fps) but XP neither boots or runs faster then Windows 7 on it, and it's far more stable. I never see freezes and blue screens which I did with XP on a regular basis.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom