Windows 8 Help! Can't use Snipping Tool to take a snap image at wherever I want!

AmgedIsmail

Hello,
I just can't use the Snipping Tool to take a picture at wherever I want in the screen....
For example when I open up Internet Explorer and then I will open up Snipping Tool to take a snap shot from something in the website...
- While I am running Internet Explorer, I press the Start Button from Keyboard to open up that main menu and then I type Snipping Tool to open up the tool, then after it opens up, it switches me to the desktop or to search screen where I searched for Snipping Tool.
Now how can I switch between anywhere of the screen while I am running the Snipping Tool?

Thanks.

Here's how:

> Search, begin typing SNIP - tool will appear, click on it. Select NEW, highlight (draw) around whatever section of a page you want & it will (now) be in the Snipping Tool window, then SAVE or go to FILE & do whatever w/ it. I tried it & works just fine.

Cheers,
Drew

As Drew describes - works for me. But in your post:
"I type Snipping Tool to open up the tool, then after it opens up, it switches me to the desktop or to search screen where I searched for Snipping Tool.
Now how can I switch between anywhere of the screen while I am running the Snipping Tool?"
When it switches to the desktop, are you not back with your last selected window in IE?
The snipping tool pops up, as it is designed to. At that time, If you click new, you can carry on normal operations and switch to anywhere on the desktop.

I just use the Prt Sc button and Paint. Works for me. With Paint I can crop, highlight, add text and a few other things.

Yep, I, too often/mostly use PrtScn to Paint. But, where that is good for full screen shots, Snipping Tool is great for a section (of text or something specific.

Oh & Ted,
Put a CPU gauge, like the All CPU Meter (gadget) not, the silly thing that is in the default Gadgets offering on the Desktop in a dual-boot set up w/ 7 & 8. Go back & forth between the 2 OSs, do the same sort of tasks & activities on each. You will see the resource usage is significantly & substantially lower in 8 than, 7.

Cheers,
Drew

I did install the All CPU Meter. I got rid of all the piggybacked apps accept the extra toolbar, so I had to uninstall that. There were 4 separate piggybacked apps on this S/W. That was a little discouraging. When I go back to Win 7 I will install to compare.

Is it possible that the OP is talking about either using the snipping tool to capture an image of the MetroUI screen or perhaps an app that he launched from the MetroUI?
I suspect that if either is the case then perhaps the print screen keyboard key and paint as has already been suggested is the most likely viable option.
As an aside, does it bother anyone that apps launched from the metro interface never seem to actually close (unless ended in task manager). They seem to behave like old TSRs and just set in the background resident in memory, consuming no CPU but megabytes of memory, now if you are testing the Consumer Preview on some older, less robust hardware with say, only a Gig of memory (32bit), launching a few metro apps would seem to seriously impact your memory resources.
Just wondering.
Regards
Randy

Another option from the Metro UI might be to use the wrench to show the page on the desktop. You could then use the snipping tool to capture it.

Randy, put the mouse in the upper left corner to move to another screen? If you move it out a band will open along the left edge with those apps shown, and they can be closed.

Also, going to the bottom left brings up some icons including Search (directly) w/out having to going to or via Start 1st. If on Start the same icon for this/these is in the very bottom right corner. Cheers, Drew

Yes this Lower Left right click option is a very handy feature that is somewhat hidden but useful alternative. It gives many of the old system management tools options.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way Windows key+Prt Sc saves the current screen as a png in the default pictures folder. Then when you click the picture you are asked what app to open it in. Paint is one of the options. Cool!

Randy, put the mouse in the upper left corner to move to another screen? If you move it out a band will open along the left edge with those apps shown, and they can be closed.
Again, thanks to Saltgrass for that information, I have subsequently learned that that feature is called "switcher" and very handy indeed. I have also subsequently learned that grabbing a metro app at the top (way at the top, like practically off the screen) and dragging it to the bottom of the screen until it turns into what almost looks like a thumbnail and letting it go at the bottom of the screen will also close metro apps. Just like I would have hoped the touch feature to work, even without a touch screen. Can't believe it is taking me so long to find some of this stuff and it seems the old alt + tab continues to work satisfactorily as well for moving between apps even if you can't see them.
Getting to like 8 more and more.

It is becoming easier to move around. I've been in it all day when I've been on. Done my banking. Working in my financial app (Quicken) and email (WLM).

I have Win 7 on C Drive, Win 8 CP on W Drive and Data folders all on the D Drive. I also have downloaded installation exe files in the Download folder on the D Drive. Today I have been working from Win 8 CP totally. My Quicken app installation file was on the D Drive. I pointed to it and installed Quicken to the Win 8 CP (worked very well) and pointed to the data file on the D Drive. Now whether I'm on the Win 7 or Win 8 CP partition, my data file is always up to date because it's on the D Drive and I point to it from each OS. So Cool!

I just set my WLM on Win 8 CP (File, Options, Mail, Advanced, Maintenance, Store Folder) and pointed to the same folder as my Win 7 WLM again on the Data Drive. Guess what, all my folders on Win 8 CP are synced with Win 7 because they are the same folders. When I make a change or save a mail in Win 8 CP it is also saved in Win 7. So Cool!

So far this is getting more fun as I go along.

I added Office 2010 so, using Outlook. WLM is available from taking it w/ in WLE. Was able to carry across Favorites, too, using the same methodology we have been discussing. Speaking of Messenger, Tedā€¦ have you yet noticed when conversing w/ someone that conversation window does not have to be out on the screen... what is being said will 'pop' out from the right edge near the top :joyous:

Back