Windows 7 Help no internet access wireless

jahmin

Ok I've been puzzled by this for days? When trying to connect via wireless on my dell laptop running windows 7 professional (64 bit) the connection jumps all over the place. Sometimes it will connect to the network but with no internet access sometimes I will get internet access but only for a minute or so before it disconnects again, and other times it wont connect to the network at all giving me the unidentifed network. When running network diagnostics It says windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy settings, DHCP is not enabled for "wireless network connection", and the default gateway is not available. I've tried unistalling and reinstalling the driver, turning off all my anti-virus protection and manually entering ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway all with no success. I must note when connecting through ethernet internet works fine. I also have a acer running XP which connects just fine through wifi. It seems like my network configuration is completly out of whack. Please help I dont know what else to do!!

Ok I've been puzzled by this for days? When trying to connect via wireless on my dell laptop running windows 7 professional (64 bit) the connection jumps all over the place. Sometimes it will connect to the network but with no internet access sometimes I will get internet access but only for a minute or so before it disconnects again, and other times it wont connect to the network at all giving me the unidentifed network. When running network diagnostics It says windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy settings, DHCP is not enabled for "wireless network connection", and the default gateway is not available. I've tried unistalling and reinstalling the driver, turning off all my anti-virus protection and manually entering ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway all with no success. I must note when connecting through ethernet internet works fine. I also have a acer running XP which connects just fine through wifi. It seems like my network configuration is completly out of whack. Please help I dont know what else to do!!

If this is something that just started happening try deleting that connection and create a new one, also make sure you have the latest driver for the wireless card.
You can also load inssider and see what the PC is seeing as far as a signal from the router.

Good Luck

I have still not been able to remedy this problem and it is driving me crazy.Yes I have made sure to have the most up to date driver. I have even tried force installing a vista driver, but still got the same results. I am not sure what you meant by loading the inssider? If you could elaborate that would be great. Does anyone esle think they might have a solution for me?

I have still not been able to remedy this problem and it is driving me crazy.Yes I have made sure to have the most up to date driver. I have even tried force installing a vista driver, but still got the same results. I am not sure what you meant by loading the inssider? If you could elaborate that would be great. Does anyone esle think they might have a solution for me?

"insidder" is a program that uses your wireless device to view all available signals that the PC can see. With this you will be able to see the strength of the signal that your PC is seeing ffrom your router. This may help you determine if your signal is fluctuating enough to cause the drop outs.

This might, and will, sound totally stupid....

You haven't got a Christmas tree with lights anywhere near your set-up have you??

Just a thought. A stupid one at that!

Haven't ever tried it but here's a link to the product that helpifIcan was referring to if you want to give it a go inSSIDer Wi-Fi Scanner | MetaGeek
Also try switching channels on the router something at the other end of the scale from where it is now. Like if you are on 3 go to 9 or 11 and if you're on 11 go to 3, experiment a little and see if it produces any better results.
And @Elmer
that is not a stupid thought at all. Wireless is very suceptible to external interference from any number of external sources you can hose a marginal signal by moving from one end of your couch to the other or by simply closing a door to the room. And it wouldn't suprise me at all if Blinking Christmas Tree Lights Made in China = poor quality/poor shielding = EMF. So please, keep those kinds of ideas coming.

Thanks for the inssider link, but all this information seems obsolete! If you read my forum my other laptop running xp runs fine with great wifi connection, So it is not a problem with the router right? Tried switching router channels with no luck as well. unidentified network, no internet access is all I get now. There is no connection what so ever. This is my favorite damn computer but I cant use the wifi!! Oh also I should point out that the wifi worked just fine at the coffee shop the other day.

If you read my forum my other laptop running xp runs fine with great wifi connection, So it is not a problem with the router right?
I actually did read you initial post and the fact that you have an XP computer that is working fine is a good thing but not at all germane to the issue at hand. More then ten years seperate the two OSs and while not entirely apples and oranges they are certainly different beasts when it comes to diagnosing problems. Again the issue is most likely with the router
Oh also I should point out that the wifi worked just fine at the coffee shop the other day.
Again would seem to support the idea that the router is at issue.
Try the website for the wireless router manufacturer and see if there is a firmware update that might address specific issues related to Windows 7.
Try running the router without encryption (open) temporarily and see if that helps.
Then experiment with various encryption standards WEP (64bit) WEP (128bit) WPA and or WPA2. Also try alternating between AES and TKIP. Any of this can impact and influence your ability to communicate with the wireless router as well as performance overhead.

So I checked with linksys to see if there was a firmware update for my router and it turns out there is. So I downloaded the correct model and version firmware and then proceeded to the update firmware section on my router. Then I clicked browse and brought up the bin. file I downloaded for the update. Then the most frustrating thing in the world happened! When I hit the update button nothing happens! Nothing loads, nothing installs, it's as if I never hit the button. Thanks Trouble I think you are on to something there but for some reason it wont update. I think I might have to just get rid of this old linksys router.

First off, as a matter of warning, never ever attempt a router firmware update from a computer that is not physically (cat5 cable or better) connected to the device.
Second, consider that you might have a problem (corrupted) with that .bin download, so if you haven't already grab another copy.
Third if the .bin, came as part of a compressed package, make sure to extract all the contents to a folder and make sure that you're not attempting to use it from within the archive file (still compressed).
Good luck
Randy

I have the computer hooked up via ethernet. I do think something is wrong with the firmware download from the linksys website or there is something more i need to do. I have downloaded it several times all with same result. It doesn't seem to be compressed and when I try to view the files through ultra iso is says invalid or unknown image file format. Is there another program i need for this type of file format or do I just need to find a different firmware download and where? It is a Linksys model befw1154 ver. 3

What type of file is it you are downloading, i.e. what's the file extension?

How are you trying to run it?

Can you supply a link (or the file)?

Not sure what the issue might be. Typically the firmware update utility from within the router's interface is looking for a .bin file, you show it a .bin file and it's off to the races. Not being completely familiar with that particular router, you may have a look around the admin web interface to make sure that there is not some conditional lock (checkbox) that you need to enable/disable before a firmware update can complete. Have a look at this step by step from Cisco/Linksys, but I'm pretty sure your procedure is correct. Guide Me
You may also want to try the Cisco/Linksys life chat support just to see if they can help you further.

Hey Trouble!!

Nip to the Link Removed - Invalid URL jahmin gave, hit downloads, v2. There's a set up wizard mentioned, don't know if that would be needed for the .bin file.

I don't think it will make a lot of difference though as the .bin file is dated 2004!!

Elmer

There is no lock for the firmware update and the live chat feature is not available for this old router.

I noticed the setup wizard and downloaded it as well. It ask for the sever, password, and file. Not sure what to put in for server and password?

Elmer im not sure how a bin file from 2004 could help me connect through windows 7 either but it must be better than the firmware im currently using from 2002 lol. Any recommendations for a good inexpensive router. This thing is ancient!!

Thanks Elmer, for pointing that out. So I went to the link, took a look at what was available, and according to what I saw the dates on the firmware was 2004, long before Windows 7 was even a gleam in Bill Gates' eye. So I don't suspect that that particular firmware has anything that would address Windows 7 specifically. So my earlier advice concerning experimentation with the various encryption settings (starting with running it open, because if it doesn't work with no encryption then encryption is not the issue) as well as trying different channels (one that's not as popular with the neighbors), play about with TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol) versus AES (Advanced Encryption System) and probably reset that radio to factory defaults by using the reset button on the back might be a means to chasing the issue down.

Back