Windows 10 How to Restart Computer When Mouse Pointer Freezes?

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
The other day, My cursor froze and I couldn't restart. I had to perform a hard shutdown, instead. How can I perform a restart when the cursor freezes? I imagine there are certain keys that must be pressed. Thanks for your assistance, guys.

if it's only the mouse which has frozen and not the entire system that's siezed then you can try the old ctrl/alt/del (holding down ctrl and alt together and pressing del a few times whilst holding them. Should bring up some options if it hasn't enirely died on you.

Thanks, Pat. Now I know what to do if it happens again. I may have one problem, though. My left arm is paralyzed and I won't be able to span all those keys with just my right hand. Of course, if push comes to shove I can try to get another person to help.

Hi

You can also try unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in.
I've found that will often cause the frozen mouse or a keyboard to start working again.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. That's the first thing I did. Re-plugging in the mouse had no effect, although I've done that in the past with success. Now that I think of it, the touchpad wouldn't work either. So, I suppose the whole system was locked up, which required a hard shutdown and restart.

In most more recent computers, including Laptops, holding down the On/off switch for a few seconds will bring a soft shutdown (no upset of the system)

In most more recent computers, including Laptops, holding down the On/off switch for a few seconds will bring a soft shutdown (no upset of the system)

If anyone tried to read this earlier, I got cut off in the middle on my Kindle Fire while at the doctors office. LOL

I knew that this works on my computer, but I didn't know if it was true for computers in general.

I remember when having to force shut down your computer was accompanied by crossed fingers and the possibility that it might not reboot.

Mike

Last edited:
Pressing the power button shuts my computer off instantly (soft shutdown,, I only push it once. Holding down will force hard shutdown, Same with closing the lid (soft shutdown). That's the way I set it up.

Last edited:
Back