Windows 7 How to turn off WITH ONE CLICK audio sound?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
Assume I am playing a video or an mp3.

Yes, I know how to turn off audio inside audio speaker controls.

But I don't want to fiddle around with menus and dialogs. Instead I want to handle it as easy as possible with ONE (DOUBLE)CLICK.

I can imagine that there is a utility whose shortcut can be put on desktop or command line command which allows this with a command like

audiocontrol -off

which can be put into a *.bat file on my desktop

Can someone help me?

Peter

Agree with Titanic. Use the mute key on your keyboard.
This is one feature I like about my 5-year old mouse too... it has volume control.

IMAG2362.jpg

I agree with the doomed ocean liner (:)) - check your keyboard, many have a mute button. And if yours doesn't, I might suggest you buy a new "multimedia" keyboard because the keyboard mute (and pause, volume up and down, next and previous) button will always be easily accessible, and function at the hardware level through the hardware device driver. A desktop icon will need to be loaded during Windows start, may be covered with other open windows, or simply not work because the program behind it is having issues.

You might also try this procedure:

This should help,
Right click the task bar and then click task manager and then click the processes tab then fine 'EXPLORER.EXE' then end process then you task bar should disappear after that click on the applications tab and then 'new task...' and type 'EXPLORER.EXE' it should appear :cool:
good luck :)

I do it with 2 single-mouse clicks! :fdance:

BIGBEARJEDI

You might also try this procedure:

This should help,
Right click the task bar and then click task manager and then click the processes tab then fine 'EXPLORER.EXE' then end process then you task bar should disappear after that click on the applications tab and then 'new task...' and type 'EXPLORER.EXE' it should appear :cool:
good luck :)

I do it with 2 single-mouse clicks! :fdance:

BIGBEARJEDI
Huh? Did you mean to post that reply here? This thread is about muting sound, not restarting explorer.

No new hardware method: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons set Volume to 'Show notifications and icon' and click Ok.

From that point onwards, a single click on the icon brings up the volume control, a second click on the lower speaker icon will mute it or reverse if mute is already on.

Yeah, that will certainly work, but that is 3 times more (you forgot a third click to minimize to tray again) than the requested "ONE CLICK" (OP's all UPPER CASE, not mine) solution.

Would that be any more than minimising a program to get to the Desktop to double-click a shortcut?

Oh, yeah, the OP's ONE CLICK is a (double)click, if you check. And would you really need to minimise that little volume control?

I was just noting what the OP said he wanted - whether one click (or one double-click) - either way, my suggestion is to use a keyboard with a mute button.

Huh? Did you mean to post that reply here? This thread is about muting sound, not restarting explorer.

@Digerati: Yes, I did. This was the 1st level fix on many searches I did on how to fix the problem, so that the Sound Icon shows up into the System Tray. There are YouTube videos that show how to do this as well, but I chose not to post them, since they went into Registry Editing if the 1st level didn't work and I didn't want to confuse the user, not to mention the high risk.

This little procedure was mentioned on like 3 or 4 different Tech forum sites as a "quick fix". If this doesn't work, and the checkbox on the notification area or the checkbox on the driver properties also doesn't work; he probably needs to take it a computer expert to get it fixed.

BBJ

Ah right, BBJ, you're fixing the 'autohide' function temporarily that way.

'My' method should place the volume control permanently on view, with all mouse clicks in the same area.

I'm not sure that Peter needs a 'fix', only less mouse action ;)

Thanks BBJ - now I understand your intent. Thanks for clarifying. But I agree with satrow - this is not something broken in need of a fix, but rather a "feature request".

badrobot, you gave exactly what I remembered to exist somewhere in all jungle I've been through while looking for programs. E.g.

http://www.snapfiles.com/downloadfind.php?action=s&ref=2&st=hotkeys

Snapfiles is a pretty safe place to download. They test everything, and they warn if there are attachments in the installation - don't know how absolute that is, though. Seems to be an increasing phenomenon, these attachments.

Anyway, I hope a good solution is found. :)

Back