Windows 10 How to use the MS EDGE browzer

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help and Support' started by nichos, Sep 25, 2015.

1. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

How to use the MS EDGE browzer

Had to ditch IE 11 of win10 as the "Script Error" drove me crazy, & cannot get rid of it.

Trying to use EDGE browser, not user friendly.

I imported my favourites from IE but the folders I had in there will not open in Edge.

How to make Edge open in my GMail inbox & many other things so useful in IE.

Any Help??

2. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Well, can we take a ste├ąp back to IE.-

Have you tried turning off the script error functions:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools, Internet Options.
    Now click the Advanced tab, and scroll down tobrowsing

There are three adjacent options there.
    Check the boxes next to "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)" and "Disable script debugging (Other)".
    Now clear the checkbox next to "Display a notification about every script error".
    Click OK, then reboot. T

3. nichos

nichos Honorable Member

thanx but I tried all these, found as you said, undid &redid them with no luck.

This happens only on my w10 hd. the w8.1 hd is OK.

4. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Oh!!

OK. Maybe you don't want to go down that path, but try Google Chrome.

Chrome

5. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

Every time I try to use a Microsoft browser, I end up back at Chrome.
    Chrome is just so much easier to use.

I posted about how much effort it is to just make a favorite link in Edge.
    In Chrome you just drag the address to the favorites bar.

In Edge it takes 3 of 4 steps.

In Windows 8 IE wouldn't open a number of pages, no matter what compatibility mode I tried, everything else would open these pages, (this was true over a long period of time on both my old and my new computers) one of the pages that wouldn't open was my Comcast home page.

I just gave up on it.

Mike

6. diverG

diverG Honorable Member

Tried Edge about 6 months back and opted for IE explorer as it accepted favourites.
    Just revisited edge. Edge opens and closes within a couple of seconds.
    Any ideas on how to keep edge open on screen??

7. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

I recently installed Opera just out of curiosity and it seems to be fast and work fine.
    It has a shortcuts bar that you can drag to just like Chrome and I'm not seeing any issues using it.

I'm using it right now.

Mike

8. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

Hi diverG,
    Edge is coming along; but if you think it has problems now, you should have seen it in 2014.:rolleyes: It still has some issues, and I'm not a fan of how they work their favorites organization and import. However, with that, it is a VERY FAST browser, outperforming all other browsers such as IE11, Chrome, Firefox, Safari for Windows, Opera, etc. There are still a number of sites such as online banking, and governmental sites that do not support it, but they are coming around. A few of my bill-paying sites have already fixed their issues, and I'm beginning to pay bills with EDGE! :hee:

Also, on some sites such as Cox for example, IE11 and other browsers do not allow you to print properly directly from the Receipt Confirmation popup windows. I would have to go through grabbing a screenshot of the pre-preview window with a tool like Windows Snipping Tool, saving it, cropping it, etc. and then printing it out as a .JPG or something. Huge pain every month!:angered: This has always been annoying for a couple of years now, but when I first tried Edge during last year, early 2015, that problem vanished!:D As more sites come online with Edge compatibility you may yet come to embrace it.:andwhat: They are slowly winning me over. Maybe they'll fix the favorites issues with the summer release being talked about on the Insider Hub. Otherwise, we might have to wait until Windows12 for that. (they'll be no Windows11, if they follow suit with the Windows9 debacle! :polite: ).

And in the Microsoft Community forum, Gabe Abul and other MS folks have mentioned repeatedly the end-of-life statements on IE itself in any future versions of Windows.:drab:

My 2 cents. :lightbulb:
    <<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :brew::cool2:

9. diverG

diverG Honorable Member

10. diverG

diverG Honorable Member

Problem is that while I can briefly open Edge it closes automatically within a second or two. Simply cannot get to '. . .' to access settings.

Edge might be an essential part of W10 but if it will not stay open then it serves no purpose. From memory Edge functioned correctly up to the big update around November time. The good news with the November update was it fixed some network problems for me.

11. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi diverG,
    try running these scans which will check for corruption and if possible repair it:
    File scans
    Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
    sfc /scannow
    press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Reboot and see if there's any change. If there's no change then try the solutions offered here:
    How to Reset Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

BIGBEARJEDI likes this.
  12. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

>>>I installed the November update on 5 different machines with W10 I have here, and had no Edge freeze or crash problems as you mentioned!! This leads me to believe you have a Windows kernel corruption; repairable through software methods posted by kemical, or if there are hardware issues, through my posted procedure above if the hardware has failed. Remember that failed hardware can often mimic software symptoms in their morphology.<<< <<<BBJ>>>

kemical likes this.