Windows 10 How to use the MS EDGE browzer

nichos

Extraordinary Member
How to use the MS EDGE browzer

Had to ditch IE 11 of win10 as the "Script Error" drove me crazy, & cannot get rid of it.

Trying to use EDGE browser, not user friendly.

I imported my favourites from IE but the folders I had in there will not open in Edge.

How to make Edge open in my GMail inbox & many other things so useful in IE.

Any Help??

Well, can we take a steĂĄp back to IE.-

Have you tried turning off the script error functions:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools, Internet Options.
Now click the Advanced tab, and scroll down tobrowsing

There are three adjacent options there.
Check the boxes next to "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)" and "Disable script debugging (Other)".
Now clear the checkbox next to "Display a notification about every script error".
Click OK, then reboot. T

thanx but I tried all these, found as you said, undid &redid them with no luck.

This happens only on my w10 hd. the w8.1 hd is OK.

Hi

Every time I try to use a Microsoft browser, I end up back at Chrome.
Chrome is just so much easier to use.

I posted about how much effort it is to just make a favorite link in Edge.
In Chrome you just drag the address to the favorites bar.

In Edge it takes 3 of 4 steps.

In Windows 8 IE wouldn't open a number of pages, no matter what compatibility mode I tried, everything else would open these pages, (this was true over a long period of time on both my old and my new computers) one of the pages that wouldn't open was my Comcast home page.

I just gave up on it.

Mike

Tried Edge about 6 months back and opted for IE explorer as it accepted favourites.
Just revisited edge. Edge opens and closes within a couple of seconds.
Any ideas on how to keep edge open on screen??

Hi

I recently installed Opera just out of curiosity and it seems to be fast and work fine.
It has a shortcuts bar that you can drag to just like Chrome and I'm not seeing any issues using it.

I'm using it right now.

Mike

Hi diverG,
Edge is coming along; but if you think it has problems now, you should have seen it in 2014.:rolleyes: It still has some issues, and I'm not a fan of how they work their favorites organization and import. However, with that, it is a VERY FAST browser, outperforming all other browsers such as IE11, Chrome, Firefox, Safari for Windows, Opera, etc. There are still a number of sites such as online banking, and governmental sites that do not support it, but they are coming around. A few of my bill-paying sites have already fixed their issues, and I'm beginning to pay bills with EDGE! :hee:

Also, on some sites such as Cox for example, IE11 and other browsers do not allow you to print properly directly from the Receipt Confirmation popup windows. I would have to go through grabbing a screenshot of the pre-preview window with a tool like Windows Snipping Tool, saving it, cropping it, etc. and then printing it out as a .JPG or something. Huge pain every month!:angered: This has always been annoying for a couple of years now, but when I first tried Edge during last year, early 2015, that problem vanished!:D As more sites come online with Edge compatibility you may yet come to embrace it.:andwhat: They are slowly winning me over. Maybe they'll fix the favorites issues with the summer release being talked about on the Insider Hub. Otherwise, we might have to wait until Windows12 for that. (they'll be no Windows11, if they follow suit with the Windows9 debacle! :polite: ).

And in the Microsoft Community forum, Gabe Abul and other MS folks have mentioned repeatedly the end-of-life statements on IE itself in any future versions of Windows.:drab:

My 2 cents. :lightbulb:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :brew::cool2:

Hi diverG,
Edge is coming along; but if you think it has problems now, you should have seen it in 2014.:rolleyes: It still has some issues, and I'm not a fan of how they work their favorites organization and import. However, with that, it is a VERY FAST browser, outperforming all other browsers such as IE11, Chrome, Firefox, Safari for Windows, Opera, etc. There are still a number of sites such as online banking, and governmental sites that do not support it, but they are coming around. A few of my bill-paying sites have already fixed their issues, and I'm beginning to pay bills with EDGE! :hee:

Also, on some sites such as Cox for example, IE11 and other browsers do not allow you to print properly directly from the Receipt Confirmation popup windows. I would have to go through grabbing a screenshot of the pre-preview window with a tool like Windows Snipping Tool, saving it, cropping it, etc. and then printing it out as a .JPG or something. Huge pain every month!:angered: This has always been annoying for a couple of years now, but when I first tried Edge during last year, early 2015, that problem vanished!:D As more sites come online with Edge compatibility you may yet come to embrace it.:andwhat: They are slowly winning me over. Maybe they'll fix the favorites issues with the summer release being talked about on the Insider Hub. Otherwise, we might have to wait until Windows12 for that. (they'll be no Windows11, if they follow suit with the Windows9 debacle! :polite: ).

And in the Microsoft Community forum, Gabe Abul and other MS folks have mentioned repeatedly the end-of-life statements on IE itself in any future versions of Windows.:drab:

My 2 cents. :lightbulb:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :brew::cool2:

Problem is that while I can briefly open Edge it closes automatically within a second or two. Simply cannot get to '. . .' to access settings.

Edge might be an essential part of W10 but if it will not stay open then it serves no purpose. From memory Edge functioned correctly up to the big update around November time. The good news with the November update was it fixed some network problems for me.

Hi diverG,
try running these scans which will check for corruption and if possible repair it:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Reboot and see if there's any change. If there's no change then try the solutions offered here:
How to Reset Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Problem is that while I can briefly open Edge it closes automatically within a second or two. Simply cannot get to '. . .' to access settings.
>>>This means there's usually something else wrong with your 'puter!! Take a look at kemical's post (if you haven't already), and attempt the repairs mentioned. If the problem isn't resolved. I suggest you attempt the following; AFTER FIRST BACKING UP ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA!!

(1.) Attempt to Rollback your system to a time when Edge was working properly using SYSTEM RESTORE. Retest your Edge.
(2.) Test your Hardware; download the free SEATOOLS hard drive diagnostic and run BOTH tests; if SEATOOLS returns any errors, your hard drive has failed and must be replaced!:waah: Next, download the free MEMTEST memory (RAM) diagnostic, and run for a minimum of 8 passes, this can take up to 24 hrs. if you have 8GB or more of RAM in your computer. If MEMTEST returns any errors, you have a failed RAM memory stick, and it must be replaced:waah:! Repeat this process for each remaining RAM stick, by removing them one at a time from your computer or laptop; repeat test and continue to replace any failed RAM sticks found. Replace ALL original RAM sticks to their original position, and retest with MEMTEST minimum of 8 passes as before. Test until MEMTEST reports no errors. Continue to #3 below..

(3.) Perform a Windows in-place upgrade repair using your W10 media; retest.
(4.) Perform a Windows Reset to OOB (Out-Of-Box) condition; retest.
(5.) Perform a Windows Reinstallation from factory Recovery Media (DVD disc or USB stick) or from factory Recovery Partition on your hard drive. This will reset your Windows back to OOB.* Restest.
*NOTE: In Items #3-#5, you must select CUSTOM on the reset/reinstallation and erase or format the hard drive data partition at the very least. We also recommend you erase or format the ENTIRE HARD DRIVE if erasing or formatting the data partition fails to solve your problem. This is a much higher risk procedure, as it can wipe out your Built-in Windows Reinstallation Partition as well. Therefore, this last drive wipe option is NOT recommended unless you have Factory Recovery Media on hand (DVD discs or USB stick)! <<<

Note that the above procedures are much more likely to produce results if all software solutions have been attempted and failed. **NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET CAN FIX BROKEN HARDWARE!!**:noway:
It's also very important to realize that if your computer did not come with W10 factory installed, and you performed a legit W10 upgrade from Win7/8x or a Clean Install from WinXP-VISTA (for computers no older than 2005), there is a very good chance that your hardware problems are causing your Edge problems, which in W10 as mentioned in previous posts are part of the W10 kernel OS. This is yet another reason that people with W10 are experiencing so many difficulties with the Edge browser. And last but not least, very few people have run the Microsoft W10 COMPATBILITY TEST prior to either W10 upgrade or clean install on older computers. Failed hardware will often show up from the running of this test. Did you remember to run the COMPATABILITY TEST prior to installing/upgrading your W10 on the computer you are having the Edge browser problem???:confused:<<< <<<BBJ>>>

Edge might be an essential part of W10 but if it will not stay open then it serves no purpose. From memory Edge functioned correctly up to the big update around November time. The good news with the November update was it fixed some network problems for me.
>>>I installed the November update on 5 different machines with W10 I have here, and had no Edge freeze or crash problems as you mentioned!! This leads me to believe you have a Windows kernel corruption; repairable through software methods posted by kemical, or if there are hardware issues, through my posted procedure above if the hardware has failed. Remember that failed hardware can often mimic software symptoms in their morphology.<<< <<<BBJ>>>

Back