Windows 7 How would you rate Windows 7

l love my windows 7. but l'v signed up to to this forum just to say i love the new plans u have for windows 10. just like windows 7 like al lthe thing you are bring back from windows 7 to windows 10 like start button, alt tab, start button menu and functions that go with it. a main desk top screen. ect. Thanks windows for making me want to update my windows after planning never to ever again after seeing 8,9.
Thank you, but this website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation.

OK... I'm still a Win7 nut. I actually ran an official oem of Win8.1, didn't like it.... tried the alpha AND beta version of Win10... still don't like it.

Microsoft has offered me like many, a free version of Windows10.

Makes you wonder................. Even when they screwed up Windows-Vista.... they still made you & I pay for Windows-7.

Now it's been rumoured that once Wiindows-10 is in place... NO more Windows from Microsoft. Just updates until the end of time.

I like Windows on this tower. But I have a second tower that loves to run a Linux Operating-System called "PCLinuxOS. Unlike Windows... it runs a stable OS that is updated weekly... So cool ice cubes are jealous » PCLinuxOS

I would agree that win7, though not perfect, is M$ best system to date. I've tried Win 10 and will be converting all of my machines to LInux. Of course, 7 will be good til 2020, so I'm not rushing.

I am using Windows Server 2008 which is based on Windows Vista but is a lighter version of it.
As you can see it has the same look as Vista but runs better than Vista because it is not so bloated.

I plan to use Windows 7 and 8 for as long as I can.I have no plans whatsoever to upgrade to Windows 10.
As from what I saw of it I did not like.
Many of the features that were in previews versions of Windows are gone from Windows 10 which is a good reason not to use it.

Server 2008b.jpg
Win Serv.jpg

Since I found out you can disable ads system wide in Windows with the Hosts file I'm very happy with Windows 10. Also you can use a local account to log in unlike Win8. I didn't like the idea of logging into my Microsoft account every time I used it. Those were my only 2 complaints that I considered to be deal breakers.

I like the Ribbon Menus and the new notification system a lot. I still don't like the Start Menu but Classic Shell makes it all good. Not to bring up old arguments from the past but I still use the Classic Start Menu religiously. Every other start menu M$ has ever come up with sucked.

Sent from my SM-N910V DE w/MoRom

a lot of people are keeping windows 7 and not doing the windows 10 upgrade and i don't blame them as they are comfortable with what they are using.
i still use vista / windows 7 / and i did do the windows 10 upgrade and it is ok. my main dislike is all of the privacy intrusion that comes in windows 10. i am aware that i can opt out of some of that by the privacy settings but have noticed that after updates download and install that some of the settings go back to default. my windows 10 computers are sitting on the shelf unplugged and not in use however if needed i will be able to put them back into service. for now i will stick to windows 7 and linux ubuntu 14.04 as with this setup i have the best of both worlds.

Since I found out you can disable ads system wide in Windows with the Hosts file I'm very happy with Windows 10. Also you can use a local account to log in unlike Win8. I didn't like the idea of logging into my Microsoft account every time I used it.
What Adds?
There are no Adds on Windows 8 or Windows 7 and you can use a local account on Windows 8.
To do this you simply skip where it says connect to your network.Windows will then set up a local account.
Then once your account is set up you can connect to your network afterwards, that's what I did.

With the hosts file you can disable advertisements in all the browsers and free apps. Ok so we could use a local account to login to Win8. If they had given us the upgrade for free like they did Win10 I might have done it. I beta tested it but couldn't get into it enough to learn all about it. It just sat there unused. So far I do like W10.

Last edited:
With the hosts file you can disable advertisements in all the browsers and free apps. Ok so we could use a local account to login to Win8. If they had given us the upgrade for free like they did Win10 I might have done it. I beta tested it but couldn't get into it enough to learn all about it. It just sat there unused. So far I do like W10.
Oh now I understand what you were saying.
Yes I have had the same problem when I go onto some websites I get these pop ups with adverts.
Then when I try to close the pop up the adverts reappear.
I think it's some kind of adware of a virus.

I have since installed Microsoft Security Essentials for this reason.
As I had to completely wipe out my Windows 7 install and my hard drive because I could not get rid of the browser pop ups.
So I have finally had to give in and install MSE which is an antivirus software but very much like Windows Defender only better protection.
Windows 8 already has MSE so you don't need to install it and I have not had any pop ups on Windows 8. Probably becuse of it's built in AV that comes with the OS.

I tried the Windows10 update..Don't like the fact that I can't have a standalone version, without going out and buying it.

Except for the start menu in Wiin10, Win8 in almost the same. I went went back to Window8.1, ran the GWX_control_panel.exe to get rid of the "Get Windows10 icon" from the system tray, then lastly installed StartMenuReviverSetup-ver30016.exe for a start menu. Me thinks Mickey took their idea for the Win10 start menu...

I stayed with Windows-2000-pro for as long as I could too. Then WinXP (2000 with eye-candy), then ran the beta Win7, then bought Windows7pro two months after it came out. But life goes on, right?

@Sammy: well, this licensing on Windows really hasn't changed since Win95 (20 years), so I'm not sure what you are saying here. On any version of Windows since Win95 you certainly can run a standalone version, which to me means "UNACTIVATED" with Microsoft Activation servers. You can still do things with it, and it wasn't until XP you'll recall that they really clamped down on pirated copies of Windows that would be used online. So, yes, you can run Win10 for 1 year free, either the legit version if you are upgrading from Win7/8/8.1/8.1.1, or a free Tech Preview version. I run both. So if you're intention is to run a Win10 forever in a standalone mode, that would be the definition of pirated software, if you never Activate with a legit License key, either new or authorized upgrade as per above. Of course, that's not really a big issue for many folks especially in Asia where pirating runs rampant, and being a Home user, it's also not a big deal unless you introduce your Meme into a Corporate business with 250 computers or more AND begin charging for that configuration. SPA fine for that is $500,000 and 5 years in jail. If I misunderstood what you're saying, please write back and clarify.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I wouldn't have problems going back to Windows 7 today, if it was practical.
But then I'd just get nagged by Microsoft to upgrade all the time.

Mike

I upgraded all of my computers to Windows 10 after imaging either 7 or 8.1. Ran a few days, imaged 10 to preserve activation (don't trust 'digital entitlement' after 4-7 years) & reinstalled my OS via the image taken and removed all of Windows 10's update files with this neat .bat file (instructions must be closely followed). The only part I never could figure out was how to blacklist the sites on the list, or didn't want to for 8 computers with over 20 combined installs of 7, 8.1 & Linux Mint 17.

Stop Windows Telemetry/Tracking/Upgrading to Win10 « alaya:techne

Note, this page is refreshed every 2-3 months & applies to both 7 & 8.1, so bookmark & check back. These removed updates will be reoffered, so be sure to hid them if you don't want Windows 10. The main thing afterwards is to download security updates only, the ones that states 'Security Update', not 'Update for Windows 7'. Many of the latter are trying to sneak back in funky updates for Windows 10.

BTW, I still say that Windows 7 was the pinnacle of Microsoft, their greatest OS ever, as many as Windows 7 devices & OS's were selling, of which Microsoft was/still are getting royalties for each, it's kind of hard to imagine why they'd want to release an OS that was very rushed in Windows 8. Could had waited at least two more years. And contrary to popular belief, Windows 10 is not a 'forever OS', it's EOL is on October 24, 2015. Microsoft will likely have a Cloud based OS prior to then, but they'll be as usual, playing catchup, Google has had theirs since at least 2010, so assuming a 2020 release (as always, their first venture of a OS is & will be a bust) will be a 10 year jump on Microsoft.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

Worse yet, Microsoft in essence stole $40 from many of these customers, less than 16 months later to learn that they couldn't run 8.1 because of the lack of CompareExchange128 instruction set in the CPU (CMPXCHG16b). So many had to downgrade back to the OS they were running, or if no backups prior to upgrade (bad idea), install media (for OEM licenses) or recovery disk sets created, then a Linux version. Though it's easy to create an AIO Windows 7 install DVD, that'll work with the COA on the computer. Though many OEM's will activate with the COA with retail media, others (like HP) won't.

What happens should a future upgrade or major update requires a later CPU instruction set? Customers screwed again. Technology doesn't stand still for any OS.

For as long as Digital River was hosting Windows 7 downloads, am surprised that everyone, with or without a Windows 7 license, didn't have these ISO's stored somewhere. I always keep my ISO's, have everyone from W2K forward, including a couple of Server OS's.

Cat

Back