Windows 7 Incompatible Windows 7 Programs

nukenate

A sticky would be nice.
This is an Attempt to organize a list of programs that do not work with Windows 7.
Please send me a Private Message naming the Program you are having problems with and what you would categorize it as.
(?) Means that this program might work, with some reported errors and some reported working.

Security Software:
Extended Task Manager (Extensoft.com)
Symantec Endpoint Protection
Microsoft OneCare(?)
Norton 360 Beta
Webroot Anti virus
Zonealarm suite

Backup Software:
Acronis True Image 2009 (WILL NOT INSTALL)
Microsoft OneCare (?)

Productivity:

Graphic:

Pictures:

ACDsee Photo Manager 2009

Audio:

Video:
Magix Movie Edit 14
Pinnacle TVCenter Pro 4.92
Real Player

CD/DVD Management:
Daemon Tools
Lightscribe
Nero DRIVE IMAGE
Roxio 2009 (?)

NOTE
Windows 7 is able to burn ISO (images) onto disks without another program.
I successful made a Ubuntu Live CD using Windows 7.

Gaming:
BioShock
Empires Dawn of the Modern World
Rise of Nations

Internet:
AOL Instant Messenger

Remote Access:
RealVN

Last edited:
I would like to add that the Creative Soundblaster X-FI Platinum sound driver does not work. I tried it with the Vista 64bit Driver

Steam

Steam seems to be working just fine. I'm running the 64-bit version of 7 and the only issue I run into is the OpenGL problem where once you open up a game (i.e. CS 1.6), there are flickering lines. This is not so much an application issue but a driver issue (mine is an ATI Radeon HD3870). The work-around is to change it to OpenGL and "Windowed Mode." This will allow you to run any game in OpenGL without having a seisure :).

Mike

Steam works fine. I am surprised Photoshop isn't working though. Gonna try to install it myself later :/

Raypep: I got the Creative SB X-FI XtremeGamer driver working by right clicking the install file and run in Vista compatibility mode.

Steam works perfectly here on 32 bit with ATI HD 3650 card.
Photo.. well... ALL of Adobe CS3 works (Master Suite version here. Dunno what Photoshop you have, but CS3 works just fine.

Empires Dawn of the Modern World (atleast in 64bit W7 & Vista 64bit)

Get a nasty error when trying to start it.

Rise of Nations (didn't work in Vista 64bit either) - Not sound, only sound when intro goes.

EDIT!

Also, I would recommend Paint.NET for those who needs a Photoshop replacement. Tho not for the most
experienced users, as I belive it can't quite replace photoshop that way.

Just a note, this is a good attempt at help, but there are too many factors to start a true list at this point.
People have different versions of 7 (different builds or 32 bit vs 64) and therefore results are mixed. Also, people don't know how to properly check compatibility.

For example, on both 32 and 64 bit, I've gotten MagicISO, Steam, and Photoshop CS2 and CS3 to work flawlessly.

ALL of Adobe CS3 works (Master Suite version here. Dunno what Photoshop you have, but CS3 works just fine.
I don't, I use GIMP or Paint.net
This is just what I was told.

Before you guys submit something try to be certain that the problem isn't you.

I was banging my brains out trying to figure why Windows 7 would'nt download for days, turns out I just didn't type ".iso" after I renamed the file. Stupid? Yes. My fault? Yes.

Be sure before you post.

Rise of Nations (didn't work in Vista 64bit either) - Not sound, only sound when intro goes.
Sound's like that MIGHT be the program to me.
However, I cant' verify that.

Just a note, this is a good attempt at help, but there are too many factors to start a true list at this point.
People have different versions of 7 (different builds or 32 bit vs 64) and therefore results are mixed. Also, people don't know how to properly check compatibility.

For example, on both 32 and 64 bit, I've gotten MagicISO, Steam, and Photoshop CS2 and CS3 to work flawlessly.

Yes, but I would still like to help.

Last edited:
First post here, but I just got done fighting with the lightscribe issue and have uploaded the modified files up to megaupload. Basically the installer says VersionNT 600 is good, but 601 isn't listed. I just replaced the 600 with 601 and away the installer went.

Lightscribe works properly on my system now.

Before I post a link to the megaupload file, I'm going to ask, is it okay to do so? It's freely downloadable software but I want to make sure first.

Back to an earlier post... Roxio 2009 does work on my Windows 7 32-bit system
Note that it did take 26 minutes to actually complete the install, but the install worked.

Tricky part is the the initial "wrapper" front-end does not work.

Go to your <start> .. <All Programs> .. <Roxio Creator 2009> .. <Applications>
You just have to run the apps directly instead of choosing from the main Roxio Control Panel.

I successfully burned an ISO image to DVD, with no issues and it tested fine.

Back to an earlier post... Roxio 2009 does work on my Windows 7 32-bit system
Note that it did take 26 minutes to actually complete the install, but the install worked.
....I successfully burned an ISO image to DVD, with no issues and it tested fine.

I just burned and Image to a DVD on Windows 7, using WINDOWS 7!

Looks like we don't need a program for that any more!

Photoshop CS4 from the standalone trial installer seems to not work, however, installing it with the CS4 Master Collection seems to work just fine.

Any game that runs in 256 colors (Starcraft, Eternal Fighter Zero, Worms: Armageddon) have severe palette issues. Aside from that, Worms pretty much dies if you try to minimize it in Windows 7. The current workaround that I know of right now to fix the palette is to kill explorer.exe before running the game, which is kinda crude given you remove your taskbar in the process, and often have to run the game through task manager.

My PowerISO works, but that's probably because it was installed already before I upgraded from Vista to 7. However, I have heard that attempting to install ISO mounting software such as this in windows 7 had disastrous results for people.

AVG is working, but once again, it was installed pre-windows7 upgrade. Sometimes it's the installations that are not working for some software, but already-installed they work fine.

Note that some installers will refuse to run simply because they see "Windows 7" and think you're not running a compatible version of windows. Be sure to try your software with compatibility modes for their most optimal OS (such as XP for a few older things, or Vista for newer). If you're installing a driver that has no Win7 version (which will be pretty much anything right now), get the Vista one of the proper bits (32/64) and compat it to Vista. This doesn't work for some stuff, though, such as Logitech webcams. :( -- If your onboard sound isn't working, you can always try the vista version of your mobo chipset drivers.

Back