Windows 7 Installation Freezes on 'Starting Windows' :(

Proudski

The first problem I encountered was the installation froze on 62%, which I have since found a fix for. Now it gets past that but after telling me 'setup will continue after restarting your computer', it freezes on the 'Starting Windows' screen, and its rather annoying as I have attempted to install it about 4 times. :(

thanks,

Rob

It let's you remove features of your installation, though it's made for Vista but has some functionality with windows 7.
I was jut asking because it can cause those kinds of setup problems, has for me in the past.

Could you post some system specifications here for us? :)

Yeah sure

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 1862 Mhz
2 logical processors
2 physical processors
HyperThreading: Unsupported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Unsupported
SSE42: Unsupported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Windows Version:
Windows Vista (32 bit)
NTFS: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
DirectX Driver Name: igdumd32.dll
Driver Version Not Detected
DirectX Driver Version: 7.14.10.1147
Driver Date Not Detected
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
VendorID: 0x8086
DeviceID: 0x29a2
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1024 x 768
Desktop Resolution: 1024 x 768
Primary Display Size: 14.21" x 10.67" (17.76" diag)
36.1cm x 27.1cm (45.1cm diag)
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 191 MB
Supported MSAA Modes Not Detected

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers / Headphones (SigmaTel

Memory:
RAM: 3061 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 453020 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 245165 Mb
Steam Hard Disk Usage: 17572 Mb
OS Install Date: Apr 12 2007
Installed Packages: ,Windows Firewall

hope that helps

If your installation is freezing at 62% then it appears you're doing an "upgrade" install instead of a "clean install" or custom install. Quite a few people are having issues when doing an upgrade install. I would suggest doing a clean install, plus Windows 7 works much better when it's installed that way.

If you only have the "Upgrade Version" discs don't worry, the full OS is still on them. I have done three clean installs with upgrade discs with no problems and no issues with activation. One hint that helps is DON'T put in the product key or a password, when asked by Windows 7 during install. Let it finish installing and do any automatic updates until all updates are finished.

Then go to to Start Orb, Computer, Right-click then properties, you'll see the Windows Activation area in the lower right-hand section. Click on "Activate Windows Now" section and enter Key and activate, you should be good to go.

fleeze on "Starting Windows" screen

I just bought Windows7.. After I format my C:\ drive and start install with the CD, I can't login anymore due to the screen fleeze on "Starting Windows" screen.

This really make myself regret should continue use the RC version until next march.

Anyone, PLEASE HELP... :(

Back