Windows 8 Is there a good windows cleaning utility?

similarly, i support nmsuk 'n ussnorway on their proposals. well over a decade ago, couple of my friends had asked how i maintained such a healthy computer. they soon purchased themselves brand-new dell laptop computers(win-xp) and asked me to "prep" them by installing av and other security utilities. veritably, their new computers all came with norton … to which i utilized norton's uninstall program to completely eradicate all traces of norton from their new machines … i definitely breathed easier after reboot and confirmation. i also reminded them to update the reference files often … which they still forgot to do. :(

edit:
so as not to hijack this thread … i had tried registry-cleaner one time and, since then, have never allowed one near my computer.

Last edited:
Windows doesn't need anything to perform the cleanup process if you're using it as MS suggested. But if you use so many third party software then you are actually collecting garbage inside your system drive. Various software program which you download from untrusted sources might be causing the changes inside your registry. So it is neccessary to play safe with the third party software.

I have System Mechanic from Iolo,or have had,since my factory reset i use Ccleaner and Defragler,witch is the only two programs i would recommend,cleaning utillities is dangerous,and what ever you do do not clean your registry.

I would sooner run my car over my computer rather than using System Mechanic, at least that way you can see the damage immediately.
With System Mechanic it could take quite a while until it ruins your system. Third party "cleaners" not only don't clean anything, they usually create irreversible damage.

CCleaner is a great tool, I don't know why you don't like it. It's pretty sad that all Microsoft can come up with is Disk Cleanup, but still. CCleaner is a good option, you should use it. It can clean registry as well.

Agreed Ccleaner is a handy tool, quick and easy to use. As has already been said though Windows does not need a registry cleaner.

Windows Disk Clean can also be configured to clean more thoroughly by accessing the Disk Clean settings.
This little guide explains what you need to do:
Windows 10 Advanced Disk Cleanup - TweakHound

Hey Windowsforum memebers!

I am looking for a Microsoft Windows cleaning utility.
Not something like Ccleaner, but sort of a window with all the cleaning tools which are from Microsoft Windows itself.

Hi there,

There are many cleanup software which can remove unwanted files or folders, temporary internet files & others resulting in higher system performance.
Some of the most popular are :

1. CCleaner
2. SysBoost

Agreed Ccleaner is a handy tool, quick and easy to use. As has already been said though Windows does not need a registry cleaner.

Windows Disk Clean can also be configured to clean more thoroughly by accessing the Disk Clean settings.
This little guide explains what you need to do:
Windows 10 Advanced Disk Cleanup - TweakHound

That's a good one, Ross. I wasn't aware of it.
I compared it with running Disk clean as Admin, and also had a scroll through the Ccleaner options. Your link cleans up quite a few other bits of left over rubbish.

Later. I have investigated this. You can avoid the double "run" option like this:
Run the first command, cleanmgr.exe /sageset:50 and set your options and click OK to save.
Open a notepad and type cleanmgr.exe /sagerun:50 and save it as .bat or .cmd file to a convenient place (Desktop? or even in the start menu)

Done

Last edited:
If you must "clean your system" why not use the suggested Windows Disk Clean, you don't have to go anywhere and risk downloading some scumware from sites like piriform which is a cesspool of useless software. "cleanmgr /sageset:50" as suggested in Windows 10 in a run box or "cleanmgr.msc" in any other Windows version is "safe as milk" so why risk making changes that can make Windows unbootable to remove things that don't really make any difference to how your system runs anyway? If Cclenaer was necessary, Microsoft would have bought them and integrated it into Windows already.

If you must "clean your system" why not use the suggested Windows Disk Clean, you don't have to go anywhere and risk downloading some scumware from sites like piriform which is a cesspool of useless software. "cleanmgr /sageset:50" as suggested in Windows 10 in a run box or "cleanmgr.msc" in any other Windows version is "safe as milk" so why risk making changes that can make Windows unbootable to remove things that don't really make any difference to how your system runs anyway? If Cclenaer was necessary, Microsoft would have bought them and integrated it into Windows already.

I'd have to disagree with your point about "necessary" software. There's lots of great and safe software that would be "necessary" for privacy, security, productivity etc but Windows just doesn't out right buy them. Windows does have good utilities but they are hardly the standard for "all you need."

I agree with Axel's post. I have , thoroughly tested, third party products on my computers, which have passed the test of time. The most prominent, used all over the IT world, is Ccleaner. Worth pointing out here, also, that Ccleaner has an extensive list of options regarding what exactly you wish to "clean". And yes, it does have a registry cleaner option. I have tried it and found it does no harm. But I agree with the comments in this thread - it serves no useful purpose to "clean" the registry. the items removed by cleaningare, in essence, so small that it does not noticeably slow down computer performance. Furthermore, since Window's 10 and its compulsory updates, from time to time, a whole new registry comes along buried in the cumulative ones. - Makes cleaning a superfluous waste of time.

FWIW. Both Ccleaner and the disk clean trick, outlined above, both leave a ton of temp files behind.

Last edited:
I agree with Axel's post. I have , thoroughly tested, third party products on my computers, which have passed the test of time. The most prominent, used all over the IT world, is Ccleaner. Worth pointing out here, also, that Ccleaner has an extensive list of options regarding what exactly you wish to "clean". And yes, it does have a registry cleaner option. I have tried it and found it does no harm. But I agree with the comments in this thread - it serves no useful purpose to "clean" the registry. the items removed by cleaningare, in essence, so small that it does not noticeably slow down computer performance. Furthermore, since Window's 10 and its compulsory updates, from time to time, a whole new registry comes along buried in the cumulative ones. - Makes cleaning a superfluous waste of time.

FWIW. Both Ccleaner and the disk clean trick, outlined above, both leave a ton of temp files behind.
Yes maybe "they leave a ton of temp files behind" but so what? Can you please tell me why when the average user uses approximately 15% of the average hard drive space they have it is necessary to clean temp files that are only recreated in seconds anyway? Suggests you should use this awful product every minute you are on pc to keep it "clean"????

I am not suggesting, or interested in, how often users wish to clean their computers of junk. Nor why they purchase and use excessively large HDs. It has no relevance to this thread.
But, relevant to this thread.
You are a little behind in your knowledge of Ccleaner, or merely have had a bad experience with it?
It is, referring to your earlier remark, and has not been for some time, owned by Pirriform.
It was bought by Avast, and now operates under its own name - Ccleaner.com

Capture.PNG

In fact your offered to install Avast (Checkbox written in the corner and so easily missed by the uninitiated) when installing Ccleaner, something I only just noticed lol...

Ok I didn't know that but was aware of the sneak attempts to install Avast by Ccleaner recently....my point hasn't changed though whether you want to comment on the size of hard drives or not, the average user doesn't choose the size of his or her hard drive Hp, Dell or Lenovo do and the facts don't change in that the average user owns a 1 Tb hard drive and uses less than 100 Gb of it so why "clean it" is still my question. Yes it is quite possible for a useless dinosaur product like Avast to own a good product and sell it but I still do not see the need and am awaiting your explanation of why someone needs to clean a hard drive better than Windows own utilities do, when the drive is less than 10% used? I mean a few years ago I hosed two systems with it so your guess is correct and it made me wonder what I had to gain by using it when I could see what I could lose in front of me at the time. And you can say it improved and I still wonder why use it when I can't see what possible good it can do.

Back
Top Bottom