Windows 8 Just for fun!

Trouble, Win Key + X will also open this menu.
Yes thank you Ted, I was aware of that as both whs and Drew had covered and recovered the keyboard shortcuts, but it is certainly worth repeating.
My point is that while everyone (well not really everyone) is condemning the new interface as being too touch centric and impossible to navigate, I wanted to add that I think that no matter which human interface device you choose to use, keyboard, mouse, or touch screen, Microsoft has provisioned for you to be able to navigate the interface rather well. Just different methods to accomplish the same thing depending on what or where you have your hands at the moment.
Regards
Randy

I took a look @ Vista Start Menu – Convenient alternative to Start menu & then Uninstalled it. Frankly came across as nothing more than a superfluous, unnecessary distraction. Flying about & getting things done quite nicely 'as is' & w/out it... but, hey, just me. I was ok for months w/ the DP this way & ok to carry on thusly.

Hmmm, sure haven't spent much time w/ Windows7 the last 4 days... veeerrry in-ter-esting :)

Cheers,
Drew

There was something earlier in this thread about boot times. Mine for Win8 is 72383ms. I know, from times I've checked, the Win7 running on the same machine is, @ least, twice as long

Also, was some mention as getting these times. It's easy w/out adding anything.
Begin typing event to Search, open Event Logs, > Applications & Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics-Performance, expand, open Operational, Clk on EventID 100 See screen shot:
Screenshot.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

TNow we just need that fix to bypass the metro screen all together, like we could in win-8/DP.

We were discussing the possibility of starting from boot in Desktop rather than Metro and I was wondering of the possibility of automating the Win Key + D at boot.
Not exactly what anyone is looking for but this worked for me for the time being
Go to
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\StartUp
Right click blank area and choose New->ShortCut
Copy and Paste this
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257}
in the box that says "Type the location of the item:
Click next
Give it a name. I called mine "Show Desktop"
Reboot
Pauses just briefly at the metro screen and then switches to desktop automatically.
Combined with auto login I'm at the desktop pretty promptly.
Until something better comes along.

Maybe, there might be a point missed by some Folks reading all this.

Often, as someone is w/ Windows 8 for a while & maybe using it a bit by design, the following can be true & even, @ whatever point in time, appreciated.

There may be or can be things on Start one would actually like to go to directly & immediately & not go to Desktop 1st.
there is, @ Start, quick & easy access to everything else... one may not want & certainly not need to @ Desktop 1st only to then, from there, still bring up the item they had wanted... can always get to Desktop, fast, from anywhere.

Time, thought & effort get spend on what is not, over adding what is not needed; there's plenty to focus upon as presented + it works just fine.

Some ppl will feel they have enough on their hands w/ a new OS, as they 1st see it. Ok, for some, maybe confuses lay ppl. Hope not. Many new to computing will find it a breeze, fun.

& then, there's performance & goodies. :joyous:

Drew

Very Nice. Put a shortcut into the Start Up folder. Takes a few seconds, but until something directly to desktop is available this will do. I did uninstall ViStart as I am attempting to get accustomed to the Desktop/Metro UI. I will keep it for future reference.

Oh, ok :sneakiness: lol

Dunno why I try to bring levity into things :dispirited: ;)

It does save a click, that's true.

Trouble?..... that's what my dad called me when I was still a crawler! rofl

I did the shortcut in the start folder and it's working GREAT!!!!
When I hear people bragging or arguing about boot times it makes me laugh.
I do a lot of Maintenance, etc., during boot-up, so the time, to me, is immaterial.

I just throw the big switch to fire up my computer system and go into the kitchen for
something to eat or drink. I never just sit there and watch it, so if it takes 30 Sec's or
1.5 minutes makes little or no difference to me.
That few seconds with the Metro UI on the screen before my desktop shows up again, is
totally redundant. MOX NIX!
Thanks a million for the fix. I own you a cold one!

The Doctor :cool:
OH, by the way, here's my new Windows 8 Desktop:
030512Desktop.jpg

That background changes every five minutes. I love interesting desktops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Addendum:

I just found something last night that really freaked me out.
I'm on my Classic Desktop screen and for some totally weird reason, I ran my mouse cursor to the very bottom left corner of the screen. I got this little box, about the size of a postage stamp that said "Start" in it. I clicked the left mouse button and I was instantly on the Metro UI screen. Then I clicked on the Desktop icon and was instantly transported back to my Desktop. So, it's just one click out and one click back. Neat, Eh?

So, there IS a START button, but it's hidden at the VERY bottom left corner of the screen.
Doc :cool:

I ran my mouse cursor to the very bottom left corner of the screen. I got this little box, about the size of a postage stamp that said "Start" in it.
Yep, all part of exploring and learning by stumbling into or onto different features. Those hot spot areas of the screen bottom left, top left and top right which provide different fly outs or functionality are pretty cool and seemed to be available at least for the most part in both the MetroUI as well as the Desktop interface.
Like the one you discovered when right clicked with also give you the "Power Users" context menu. Same as the WinLogoKey + X
Makes life interesting.
Regards
Randy

At every turn, I think of my seventy, eighty or ninety year old customer going to the store one day for a new computer and getting it home and plugging it in and saying to Edith, "Ma, what the hell is this?"
Hopefully, at that point they will pull out my business card, dust it off and wonder to themselves, "I wonder if this guy is still alive?"
A day or two later, I'll go out to their house, sit down at that new computer with Windows 8 on it and try to make it do what they want it to do. We're talking some banking, check their stock quotes, read email, maybe play a little solitaire (OH crap, MS changed that) and try to get them to accept this new thing that looks nothing like Windows XP which after several years they finally came to accept.

It's not ME, accepting Win-8. Oh heck, I do, but it's those old folks that I take care of and have for the past 24 years, from DOS to the present day. But hopefully, the day that I have to set up the very First Windows 8 PC in my patch, I'll have all the tools to do it right so my customer doesn't throw me and the PC out the door.

Thanks guys, for all your help. It's much appreciated.
The Doctor :cool:

Hi Ted,

All joking aside, the "Go To Desktop" thingy is nice way to have it work & will appeal to many ppl. Tell 2 friends, they tell 2 friends, they tell 2 friends...

Cheers,
Drew

Been busy fixing my email. After recovering several times over the last couple of years, there were just way too many junky folders so had to get rid of everything and start over. Then used my full HD Image to open the saved emails and dragged back into newly created folders. Now everything is spic and span again.

What were we talking about. Oh yea, Start Button. Yea Dr there was always that Start thingy in the lower left that took ya to the Metro UI, then the Desktop thingy that brung ya back. I uninstalled the ViStart thing because I couldn't pin stuff to it. I'll wait until the next one someone comes up with that will allow that feature.

The auto Desktop in the Start Menu is neat. It does take a few seconds. I use a laptop, and it's usually sittin on my lap so I am watching the startup but I'll keep that.

I will continue to use mostly Desktop apps because I do not really care for the available Metro apps or how they look or act. It's nice to know how to shut them down (Grab them at the top and drag them off the bottom of the screen).

I guess that's enough for now. Now back to that email thingy!!!

Drew, did you check out the Lounge yet?

I'm getting along better with Metro but wish it would boot straight to desktop. I unpinned a ton of rarely needed stuff from Metro and that helps. MS should have included a little video in the installation showing about using the Metro and what the other hidden things do. I also wish they would move the the Icon in lower left just a bit to right so it isn't so easy to hit going back to Metro it's to easy to windup with IE launching! Maybe Drew or Ted could do a little how to Video since they seem to be figuring it out so well.
Joe

Ted, I was serious the other day... what Lounge, where?

I, took a look @ 1 of those add-on Start Menu things... that was tossed darn quickly... silly, unnecessary, distracting nuisance!! As far as Pinning goes... use Quick Launch to have anything you want handy & Pin stuff to the Taskbar.

You can, also, go to Start simply by hitting the Win Key, @ any time, from anywhere.

Remember, if, you have live Apps but, not open or using 1, they (plural) can (all) be viewed, manipulated & closed via the 'App Bar along the upper left edge. There, too, they can be Snapped... this is really cool; can put 1 or 2 on a panel, left & or right & have them on screen @ the same time as Desktop...try it. Sometimes may want/prefer this rather than the Drag to the Bottom thing.

Joe, you can 'jump' through Start, straight to Desktop. I think this is originally form Ted but, here's how:

Doing this will make it so, upon Boot, goes directly to Desktop, although, Start will or may
show, momentarily, 1st, the need to click Desktop tile or hit WinKey + D is gone.

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\StartUp

Right click blank area and choose New->Shortcut

Copy and Paste this

%windir%\explorer.exe
shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257}

in the box that says "Type the location of the item:

Click next

Give it a name. ie "Show Desktop" or “Go to Desktop” or _____

Reboot.

Cheers,
Drew

I tried it and there is about 10-15 sec delay so it isn't really worth it. Clicking in the Metro is faster.
Joe

Back