Windows 10 Just realised that there is a search icon not just a search bar...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I just found that I can have a search icon on my taskbar instead of the large search window that is there by default.

This opens up a lot more space and Cortana still responds when I ask her something.

Just right click on the taskbar, select Search and the select Icon.

I like this a lot better then having the box there all the time.

Mike

Last edited:
Yes, agreed.
That can be adjusted (I believe) to either / or / disabled by right clicking the taskbar and looking at the "Search" flyout menu.

Yes that's right, I haven't tried disabling it since I do need a search box someplace and it's not on the start menu anymore.
Perhaps it could be added back there as it was in the previous build, but the icon works fine for me.

I also noticed that Windows 10 is now giving me the option to install my device drivers but not forcing me to do so.

I haven't tried disabling it since I do need a search box someplace and it's not on the start menu anymore.
Try it.
I believe you'll see that a search box will appear when you click on the Windows Logo Icon / Start Button (whatever we're going to call it ultimately).

Your right, a search box did appear.
And Cortana still works the same.

Have you messed around with Cortana?

I've gotten her to play my music when I ask but I've failed so far at setting up multiple playlists so that I can say "Hey Cortana play my Classical Music", or "Hey Cortana play my Pop Music" etc.

I set up a folder with 10 hours of music in it, and she will play those in random order so that works great.

I use it a lot since I can just turn the music on and off without interrupting what I'm doing.

It's too new for there to be any real information on the net about how to do things with her.

The funniest joke that she told me was...

Two snowmen were standing in a field, one says to the other..
"Funny I smell carrots too".

Mike

Back