Windows 10 Just started testing 10056

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I have not had much time with this build, but it is nice to see some of the normal icons coming back, like the Trash bin. They have changed the look of the Weather App but it doesn't look as polished as the Windows 8 one.

They have moved the power button and some folks don't like the new position just above the All Apps option. They may need to work on that and get it somewhere out of the way. I do like it better than the upper Right of the Start Screen, however.

Network Adapter configuration changes are still inhibited.

You all have probably seen the screen shots, but if there is something specific you would like to see, let me know.

During the install, in the setting up account phase, I got a memory read error. Something like:

The instruction at 0x000... referenced memory at 0x00000000000000B8. The Memory could not be read
This is the same type of message I am getting in the older builds whenever I go from a Microsoft Account back to a Local Account. This is a system with DDR4 memory.

Nvidia control panel is still inhibited by open processes when changing settings, but I do not see the Application Frame Host listed as it was in the earlier builds, so maybe some improvement.

On my three monitors, some of the Taskbar icons show only two of the three screens. The Task View icon does look a little nicer, even though I don't use that option.

I just got a Blue Screen when I tried to set the system to span using Surround on the monitors. From what I can tell it seems to be related to nvlddmkm.sys and Invalid memory being referenced.

There is an Nvidia GTX 980 driver update which keeps failing to install, but it is running the 349.90 driver.

That same driver did finally install on my other system (10049), but it is showing nvlddmkm.sys errors even when just clicking on the Start Button. Screen goes dark or the system freezes but no Blue Screens. But I do get a error in Event Viewer, such as:

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3

NVRM: Graphics TEX Exception on (GPC 1, TPC 1): TEX LAYOUT

Attachments

• 041115-14671-01.dmp
    256 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
OK, you can adjust the size of the Start Screen vertically but not horizontally, or so it seems.

You can see from the placement of the power button why some folks may feel it is too exposed.

Attachments

• PowerButton.jpg
    PowerButton.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 293
They are also adding more options for the Notifications area so you don't have to go through PC Settings.

Notifications Window.png

Build 10056 is now gone from my system. It was not able to work with my system configuration regarding video monitors and Graphics cards. Build 10049 was better in this respect, but back to 8.1.....

Does any one have an video example of the snap screen, working on this build?

Build 10056 is now gone from my system. It was not able to work with my system configuration regarding video monitors and Graphics cards. Build 10049 was better in this respect, but back to 8.1.....

I've been back on 8.1 for some time now. I'll wait till a more stable version is out or the GR is released.

I didn't bother updating after 1041. I didn't want to go through the upgrade mess again I don't know why MS won't make an ISO available for download for these builds. Overall Windows 10 is pretty rough to say the least. Windows 7 and Windows 8 public betas were much more finished looking. If they are planning on releasing Windows 10 before school starts they better get going on fixing the bugs and making a finished product.
Joe

I am back on 10056. After removing the drive and reinstalling a few days later, when I booted the system went to the "Setting UP Devices" part of an install. Not sure why since I thought the install had been already completed, but it did not go through the user setup as normal.

Anyway, it seemed to be working better but I had not played any games. I noticed I was seeing a Failed Nvidia install, so after checking the Nvidia site I downloaded and installed 350.13 which is later than the Windows 10 standard. The result has been I could play one of my games for an hour without problems.

Ussnorway, if you give me specifics about what type of snap behavior you are interested in, please describe so I can check. I notice there are options for how the snap behaves, so I will use the default settings unless you want something different.

Wow! good info. Build 10056, already, huh?? I certainly agree with you guys about the "unfinished" feel to the Win10 interface. I finished my presentation on Win10 for my Computer Club yesterday, and I was unable to get Cortana to respond in any way whatsoever. She worked 1 time at home, and after that, nothing. Occasionally, after multiple reboots I could get her to take voice commands, but as I posted today on the Mike Hawthorne thread, Cortana doesn't seem to like to work at the same time the SPARTAN browser is launched! This kind of sucked, as I really wanted to show off Cortana in my Live Demo part of my presentation. It wasn't to be!

Did you have any luck with Cortana on 10056 I'm wondering??

Good information on the sensitivity to the video and networking drivers. I didn't seem to have any of those problems with 10049 or 10041 on my system.

Cheers! <<<BBJ>>>

I have not been able to get Cortana to respond to my voice. I can, however, click the microphone and get a "Listening" message and it hears my question. It won't answer very much but it will open Spartan and do a search.

I have not heard a response, but one does show up in the window.

If you check the Event Viewer, you may see searchui.exe has closed for some reason. If that has happened, Cortana is probably done until you log off and back on or restart.

Wow! good info. Build 10056, already, huh?? I certainly agree with you guys about the "unfinished" feel to the Win10 interface. I finished my presentation on Win10 for my Computer Club yesterday, and I was unable to get Cortana to respond in any way whatsoever. She worked 1 time at home, and after that, nothing. Occasionally, after multiple reboots I could get her to take voice commands, but as I posted today on the Mike Hawthorne thread, Cortana doesn't seem to like to work at the same time the SPARTAN browser is launched! This kind of sucked, as I really wanted to show off Cortana in my Live Demo part of my presentation. It wasn't to be!

Good information on the sensitivity to the video and networking drivers. I didn't seem to have any of those problems with 10049 or 10041 on my system.

Cheers! <<<BBJ>>>
I have not been able to get Cortana to respond to my voice. I can, however, click the microphone and get a "Listening" message and it hears my question. It won't answer very much but it will open Spartan and do a search.

I have not heard a response, but one does show up in the window.

If you check the Event Viewer, you may see searchui.exe has closed for some reason. If that has happened, Cortana is probably done until you log off and back on or restart.
>>>Thanks!! Interesting, and good to know. I let both Mike and Sonny know to check this thread to see what you had to say from 10056 build. And I will look in the Event Viewer for searchui.exe. That's good to know for troubleshooting purposes.

Marc

Back