Windows 7 Laptop upgrade from Vista or install on external drive?

DudeOnFire

I've got a few questions but I don't know if this is the right place to post them. I hope someone will be able to answer me.

My laptop is where I do all of my work and play (not many games but things like surf the internet). I've never upgraded to a newer version of Windows, my dad always formatted then installed the new Windows OS (on a desktop, before I got a laptop) for me because he's scared I'm going to screw up something. So I'm wondering, if I upgrade, will my programs and everything remain intact? And since I'm on a laptop, when I upgrade, will I lose all my drivers? Because those are essential to use my laptop properly...
Also, is Windows 7 more compatible with programs that work on Vista than Vista's with programs that worked on XP?

Or should I just buy an external hard drive and install it on there? What would be the cons of that? When I have it plugged in and boot up my laptop, will it ask me which OS I want to use, as if I had a dual-boot? And what will happen when I unplug my hard drive from my laptop, will it just boot up with Vista normally (like it is now)?

If anyone knows the right place to post this, please point me into the right direction.

Thank you.

Don't worry Dude, your in the right place..:)

You could always try running the 7 advisor to see if your machine is 7 capable.. Also checking the laptop makers website and seeing what driver support would be another good move (if your having problems finding the support page post your laptops spec and I'll have a look for you)

As for upgrading.. the general feeling is that a clean install is the only way to go as many have reported bugs after going thru the upgrade process.
Generally if a progam worked under vista then it 'should' work under 7 and I'd say that 7 has better compatibility than vista ever did although with some apps it's just going to be a 'suck it and see' scenario...

Download details: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Wow, that was pretty quick and useful! The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor really helped me!
But I will still check out my laptop manufacturer's website to see if everything is compatible.

For the upgrade, I think I'm going to wait a little more until most of the bugs get fixed because I really hate doing clean installs...

Thanks!

Your very welcome.. If you ever need further help then please post back..:)

Sorry for bumping an old thread but a question just came up in my head. It might be an answer that is obvious to you guys but this isn't very obvious to me.
To update, I just put the disc in after my laptop booted and is at the desktop? It should just popup and ask me if I want to update right? I just want to make sure before I go out and buy it.

If you want to upgrade then yes that's basically it. To be honest though Dude we've had many posts from users experiencing problems after upgrading and this is almost always cured with a clean install.

Back