Windows 7 Limited Access Wireless? Cannot Connect to internet on only one machine!

ManicMarcus

So yesterday my internet was working fine, but today when I returned and got it out of standby, I could not connect to the internet. It says "limited access" when I try to connect to the wireless, and when I try to connect with an ethernet cable nothing happens.

If I troubleshoot, Windows is unable to resolve it. The problem it says is:

There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection adapter.

There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection Adapter.

Anyone know what I should do?

If I type in ipconfig into cmd it just says "Media Disconnected"

The internet works for my PS3, and the rest of my families laptops/desktops.

If extra information is needed for anything, just tell me and I will try to provide it.

Last edited:
Have your rebooted the machine?

Is there a possibility that something might have dislodged the Wireless adapter, or the antenna? did you hit the keys to turn off wireless?

If you check Windows Updates, do you see an update for your wireless card? You may have to reinstall a driver. It is a little strange, if you have the wired and wireless adapters enabled that neither one could connect.

Have you checked the Device Manager to see the condition of the devices?

Hi

I have this happen once in a while.

This works for me, so it's worth a shot.

Right click on the Icon on the task bar and open Network Sharing.

Click on Change Adapter Settings.

Select the connection you are using and click Disable this network device.

Wait a couple of seconds.

Click Enable this network device.

When I do this is usually goes through the process of reestablishing the connection and it starts working.

Mike

There are no updates available for my wireless card, only "Windows Service Pack 1 for x64 based Systems. How Do I reinstall the driver?

And as I said, it works on the other computers in the house just not mine, not even Ethernet works on mine.

How do I check device manager for the condition of the devices?

and Mike, sadly that did not work. Thank you for trying to help though!

Hi

Control Panel / System / Device Manager.

Look and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark on anything.

Mike

Hi

I'm running out of ideas here but you could try uninstalling your network card in Device Manager and then rebooting your computer.

This should force Widows to re-detect your card and re-install and reconfigure the drivers for it.

If this doesn't work I don't have any idea what could be going on.

One of the things that has really gotten easier is getting your connection set up, it is pretty much the first thing that Windows does anymore, with no input from the user by the time that Windows opens the first time it has already gotten online and downloaded updates.

I know that Bonjour Services can cause problems in Windows 7 connections, you might look and see if that is installed.
It is installed along with ITunes and some Adobe software.

Also, try booting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you have a connection.
If something is conflicting that might show it.

Maybe someone else has some other ideas.

Mike

Last edited:
Ok, I've unistalled it but now I cannot reinstall it. I do a hardware scan in device manager and nothing happens... So now the problem is worse because I forgot to save it on a USB first.

Last edited:
Hi

You shouldn't have to do anything to install it.
When you reboot Windows should detect it and do it automatically.

If it's not then there must be some problem with the card itself that causes Windows to not see it.

When you get into hardware your going beyond my knowledge base.

I'm guessing that it's built into your motherboard and you don't have a separate network card.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Mike

I don't know if there is anything here that could help and I have to run but you can read through and see if you find anything.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1043571&mpage=1

Last edited:
I assume that you have tried the previous suggestions without success. If so, try this and let us know what you find.

Go to the "Network and Internet" control panel category. From there (Network Connections), see if you can find your network devices. Right-click on your network devices in question and chose "status". You can do some of this from the device manager, but this control panel does a whole lot more. From there, you can check the status of the circuits and disable and re-enable them one-at-a-time and see if you can get them working. Then, you can look at the properties and see if you can see your network device, and see what is layered onto them (if they are working). If you can see your devices, make sure they are sending and receiving (on their own -- watch the counters). Let us know what you find.

I got the exact problems two days ago. Suddenly my laptop (Dell Vostro 3400) couldn't connect to wireless. It said there was limited access and there was a small yellow triangle on the icon. I tried with another wireless and it was the same. (other computers work perfectly fine, my phone works too) I tried turn the wifi off and on. Disable the wireless then enable. Uninstall the network devices the reinstall. Restart in safemode. Run recovery (include the advanced recovery method). None works. Seriously needs helps

Thank you very much
Duong

Hey,

I am a technician and I am currently fixing a laptop with a similar problem to your's.

I found that after looking at the protocols installed for the Wireless connection, there was one for AVG (AVG was no longer installed) removing this solved the problem.

Richard

just logged in to say thanks to the previous comment (richard hughes). i have the same problem as the first post.

then, i saw the previous post and uninstalled the 'avg network filter' found in my wireless network properties. now my laptop's wifi works well and doesnt indicated "limited access" anymore.

I almost gave up. This one really solved the problem. everyone is struggling with limited access wireless problem should definitely give this a try. simple but worked.

I registered just for thanking Richard for the share.

Hey,

I am a technician and I am currently fixing a laptop with a similar problem to your's.

I found that after looking at the protocols installed for the Wireless connection, there was one for AVG (AVG was no longer installed) removing this solved the problem.

Richard

Hey,

Richard

Was working with a laptop that had the same symptoms. I Googled "windows 7 wireless limited access on 1 computer", this was the first link to come up. Richard nailed it! Disabled the AVG network filter and the PC instantly asked if the network was public, work or home. After selecting my choice the internet was working.

Thanks Richard, that solved it quickly.

-Jason

are you using a wireless adapter? i have a linksys adapter that did this, i found that physically disconnecting it, then reconnecting it (after it cooled down lol) with a soft-boot restart took care of it, you might be able to 'roll back' the driver, as another option to try before uninstalling them. windows 7 has a very large driver database right on the os, and should just find it on the restart. if it isn't, you could have a hardware issue, especially if it doesn't even detect your ethernet cable.
... do you have a wireless adapter on a different computer that you could try on this one? is this a laptop? if it is, you could try it at another ethernet location, too.

Last edited:
Hi

I'm running out of ideas here but you could try uninstalling your network card in Device Manager and then rebooting your computer.

This should force Widows to re-detect your card and re-install and reconfigure the drivers for it.

If this doesn't work I don't have any idea what could be going on.

One of the things that has really gotten easier is getting your connection set up, it is pretty much the first thing that Windows does anymore, with no input from the user by the time that Windows opens the first time it has already gotten online and downloaded updates.

I know that Bonjour Services can cause problems in Windows 7 connections, you might look and see if that is installed.
It is installed along with ITunes and some Adobe software.

Also, try booting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you have a connection.
If something is conflicting that might show it.

Maybe someone else has some other ideas.

Mike

This recommendation worked for me thanks Man

There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection Adapter.
Link Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URL

I had a weak connection that I was able to fix by attaching my wireless stick to a cookie sheet, which expanded it's receptive ability nicely :)

Hey,

Richard

After days of going through all the troubleshooting and trying to figure out why my wireless network connection on my Dell Inspiron laptop wasn't working, as well as several hours on the phone to my Internet provider, this small simple tip worked! Thank you Richard! ;)

Back