Windows 10 Limited Screensavers ...

Not sure if I am posting in the correct forum but, here goes ... Does Microsoft have an area or, a page to get more Screensavers than the five standard ones that come with the OS? If it makes a difference, I am using Win10 Pro.

sure, Rich73Kelly … but depends on what your choice of poisons are … you want retro or the newest incarnation?
also, you are referring to 'screen-savers' … and not themes o' backgrounds o' lock-screens, etc.?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/result.aspx?q=screensavers+desktop
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/result.aspx?q=screensavers+for+the+computer
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/result.aspx?q=screensaver
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/result.aspx?q=screensavers

personally, i wouldn't trust any 'app' from microsoft's store … far as i'm concerned, nearly all developers have some manner of nefarious agenda in mind … at the very least, they will be downloading your private data. i'd also be very dubios/cautious about files one locates on the internet. archive.org offers retro s-savers from the 98/xp era … google 'em. many websites offer third-party s-savers … google 'em.

i still have a copy of xp's 3d-windows s-saver on my hard-drive … name of the file is "3DwindowsXP" … google it and you are bound to come up with references to that file. those you find may not be safe … they may have been repackaged.

however, Rich73Kelly … you need to realize … many files can/may contain all manner of malware 'n infections. do your homework … research to the third power. use virustotal.com to inspect the url before d/l the file … malware has been known to piggy-back, on top of, legitimate files across networks. once your file has been downloaded … throw your complete arsenal at the file. windows-defender may not be up to the challenge … you need something more rugged.

i also advise you to never use download managers hosted on websites … those are the websites that 'package' the legitimate software with "extras". you end up downloading only their install-utility … you then dbl-clck that file … your action initiates downloading the file(s) … from god knows where … exactly!

you also should create a system-restore point, Rich73Kelly … save your personal files off-site. screen-savers are notorious for including exploits 'n viruses 'n malware. understand how to install software by going through advanced protocol. make sure the browser being used is up-to-date … make sure your security arsenal is up-to-date … make sure your win-os is up-to-date. if you skipped any update … you could be heading into trouble.

our website windowsforum.com has no affiliation with microsoft … or any of their products, services, or support frameworks/partnerships.

Sorry for the delay in a reply ... After 5 attempts on four different occasions, I finally got an email conformation to my main email account!
Yes, I am referring to "Screen Savers", the things that were meant to prevent "Burn-in" on the old CRT monitors ... All I have available for choices are ... (None), 3D Text, Blank, Bubbles, Mystify, Photos and Ribbons ... all of which aren't that thrilling ... Lol. I would only assume tho, screensavers kinda faded away along with the CRT. The Micro$oft site offers plenty of photo selections for background themes but, nothing, I've found, to add to the Screensavers.

nearly all developers have some manner of nefarious agenda in mind
I disagree with this. Most people do not have malicious agendas and definitely not on the Microsoft store. Those apps are vetted and scanned. Anything that violates the store terms gets removed.

You can download screensavers. I would still say to scan them at virustotal.com just to be safe since a screen saver is an executable and could potentially contain a malicious payload.
Screensavers Planet - 1315 Free Screensaver Downloads

personally, i wouldn't trust any 'app' from microsoft's store … far as i'm concerned, nearly all developers have some manner of nefarious agenda in mind … at the very least, they will be downloading your private data.

What utter nonsense. Apps from the app store are NOT harvesting your data.

yah, Rich73Kelly … i can empathize with you … think my favorite had been the 3DwindowsXP i had referred to earlier … i remember now, it had come as "microsoft plus!" package … win-xp.

i get your points, nmsuk and neemobeer … i probably would follow up on it, but don't wish to get banned … so, on the back shelf it goes. cheers.

I keep mine set to shut off the display after ten minutes with no password when it comes back on. I haven't run a screen saver since my XP days.

And I don't believe Microsoft has any malicious intent when they "spy" on us. It's not really spying. They're just looking for data to help improve their services. With the number of people they're dealing with, if they got caught doing anything malicious the backlash would be incredible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom