Windows 8 More details emerge on the 8.1 Start menu.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Guru3D have posted that the new 8.1 update, which previews tomorrow, will have a Start menu almost reminiscent of the windows 7 Start menu. Hot corners can be disabled as well as booting straight to desktop.
How do they know this? Well Windows Server 2012 R2 already has the same options:

menu.JPG

As stated above, Windows Blue or 8.1 can accessed through the Store from the 26th June (tomorrow) with the RTM scheduled for August 1st.

Read the Guru3D article here:

New Windows 8.1 Start menu details

Lets hope that the critics, expert or posters, can move on to more informative discussion on Windows 8, after this release, instead of focussing too much on the absence of a start menu.. Maybe a small hope????

I think the hope is small that it will change people's opinions. I think it will just be a slap in the face to the people who already are upset about the startbutton/menu. Even with the changes I doubt you'll see many business adopt Windows 8 because of the learning curve.
Joe

Lets hope that the critics, expert or posters, can move on to more informative discussion on Windows 8, after this release, instead of focussing too much on the absence of a start menu.. Maybe a small hope????

Well if we look back to previous Windows incarnations both XP and Vista were considered truly awful until service packs/major updates were released.

I'm sure this will be just the same...

Well they say that Windows 8.1 is not a service pack. It is a more updated version of Windows 8. So it is in fact a new OS,so I was told.

Why not see for yourself?
Be one of the first to try it

[FONT=WOL_Reg]Windows 8.1—a free update to Windows 8—is coming later this year, and a prerelease version is available now for you to try. Windows 8.1 has new ways for you to personalize your PC and includes a wave of awesome new apps and services.[/FONT]
[FONT=WOL_Reg][/FONT][FONT=WOL_Reg]This preview is mainly for experienced PC users[/FONT][FONT=WOL_Reg], so if you're not sure whether it’s right for you, read the FAQ.[/FONT]

Meet Windows 8.1 Preview - Microsoft Windows

Yes I am thinking of trying Windows 8.1 Beta now I have got Windows 8 Pro. They say Windows 8.1 will be a free update via the app store.

The problem is as I am running Windows 8 on a netbook, the Metro apps don't work. So the only way I will be able to download the update is though Windows Update in Control Panel. The same way I get my other updates.

The reason why your metro apps don't work has nothing to do with the machine your using.. If you use Windows 8 with a local account then metro apps won't work. To use Windows 8 with full functionality then create a Microsoft account:

https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa...nt.live.com/summarypage.aspx&lc=2057&id=38936

Using a Microsoft account will allow your pc to sync with your account meaning any changes made will automatically be saved. I know some users are sceptical of always being 'plugged in' but it really isn't the big brother scenario some think it is.

It's not necessary to operate Win 8 with an MS account, an account is needed to use the store but things work perfectly well with a local account.

The reason why your metro apps don't work has nothing to do with the machine your using.. If you use Windows 8 with a local account then metro apps won't work. To use Windows 8 with full functionality then create a Microsoft account:

https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa...nt.live.com/summarypage.aspx&lc=2057&id=38936

Using a Microsoft account will allow your pc to sync with your account meaning any changes made will automatically be saved. I know some users are sceptical of always being 'plugged in' but it really isn't the big brother scenario some think it is.
Well my netbooks only have a screen resolution of 1024x600 and that's the highest setting there is. So every time I try to open a Metro app,I get an error message saying my screen resolution is too low to run Metro apps.

So to run Metro apps I should have a full sized laptop. But then I don't want to use Metro apps anyway and I am running my windows 8 like Windows 7. With Classic Shell to boot. Giving me the Windows 7 start menu,not Metro theme.

I don't run any Metro apps either, however, I use the stock Win 8 desktop without any 3rd party apps like classic shell.

I don't run any Metro apps either, however, I use the stock Win 8 desktop without any 3rd party apps like classic shell.
I am not saying that you cannot use it with only the Metro theme and Metro start menu,you can. Having a Windows 7 start menu just makes it easier to find things quickly that's all.

Certainly you can use it with only the Metro them. Classic Shell is handy in other ways as disabling the Charms bar is in a way better. As sometime when you are browsing across a website if you run your mouse too far into the corner,the Charms Bar pops up.Which can be a bit annoying. That does not happen if you are using Classic shell and have disabled it.

About Windows 8.1 what is different about it from Windows 8? I mean is it worth upgrading?

As what Exactly has Windows 8.1 got that Windows 8 hasn't got? As I have never installed 8.1, so I don't know what it's like.
And I have only just installed Windows 8 Pro,about 2 weeks ago.

It's not necessary to operate Win 8 with an MS account, an account is needed to use the store but things work perfectly well with a local account.

You don't have to use a Microsoft account with windows 8 that's certainly true, just don't expect everything to function. (Apologies if i was unclear about that)

I didn't realise about your screensize Andrea but then again it's a moot point as you don't use a microsoft account (I'm sure you posted that in a different thread)

If you have questions about Windows 8.1 this handy FAQ will tell you all you need to know:

Windows 8.1 Preview FAQ - Microsoft Windows

And another:

Everything you need to know about the Windows 8.1 Preview (FAQ) | ZDNet

Plus one more:

Windows 8.1 Guide: 25 Tips And Tricks - ComputerShopper.com

Oh Oh. Look what I just read, it says you have to log in with a Microsoft account to use Windows 8.1 Preview.

Warning-In order to use Windows 8.1 Preview you must sign in to your PC with a Microsoft account. The option to create a local account will be made available at the final release of Windows 8.1.

That puts me right off. I think that's stupid. On Windows 8 you don't have to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read it a lot, these days. But, just nosiness, I guess.I don't really understand why users find it a problem with signing in with an MS account?
But. Disconnect your internet connection before install 8.1 and you will be fine.
Windows 8.1 (full - RTM) will not have such a requirement

I read it a lot, these days. But, just nosiness, I guess.I don't really understand why users find it a problem with signing in with an MS account?
But. Disconnect your internet connection before install 8.1 and you will be fine.
Windows 8.1 (full - RTM) will not have such a requirement
I don't like to have a password on my account because I like to just boot up my computer and go. Besides I am the only one that uses my computer so I don't need a password.

One of the reasons I gave up using Linux is because you are forced to have a password. Where as with Windows you are not.Why do I need to disconnect my computer from the Internet to install? Is there a danger that because they make you sign into Windows 8.1 with your Hotmail account,that someone can see everything I do on my computer and hack it?

You appear not to have thoroughly understood, or read, your own, previous post?
" it says you have to log in with a Microsoft account to use Windows 8.1 Preview"

This has very little to do with using a password or not.
I never use one, but I believe you will need a password to sign in to a local account also.
Neither prevents you from bypassing the need to put in your login details. By a simple, and non-confidential procedure, it is very easy to alter the necessity.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I have an ordinary admin account on my windows 8 computer the same as I do on windows 7. And I don't have a password as I did not set it up that way. I never have a password on Windows in case I forget it.

Sorry for the late reply. A rare occurrence. My ISP broke down (The biggest where I live, and a very rare happening)

Now that you have been made aware, from my post and Sonny's follow-up, that you can boot directly to the desktop, with or without an MS or local account. With or without a password, would you still feel it not a better idea to log in with an MS account?

"Why do I need to disconnect my computer from the Internet to install? Is there a danger that because they make you sign into Windows 8.1 with your Hotmail account, that someone can see everything I do on my computer and hack it? "

In the installation, the program, in its final stages, checks your internet connectivity, and then asks you to log in with you live account. Disconnecting, before starting the installation, avoids you stalling at that stage.
Unless you are neurotic, there is no reason to suspect that MS are spying on you, or that you will be hacked - that is, more than any other mail provider.
Fwiw, I use Live Mail, but, as always, my ISP has control of my internet connection, including the input and output of my mail box. If I should choose to distrust any service, perhaps I should look in that direction, rather than at Microsoft?

|

Back