Windows 7 Moving Folder Location Question

Haelbarde

Hi

I'm really confused about what I should do. I recently wiped my HDD after getting a new box, installed XP then W7RC. When installing XP, I made 2 Partitions, C:/ and D:/. The C:/ drive was ~100 GB on which I installed the OS, and the D:/ Drive was ~130 GB. What I then did was copy the contents of the user folder (My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, etc.) onto the D:/ Drive. I set the Libraries to display the Documents, Music, Pictures and Video folders on the D:/ Drive and removed the Users and Public Folders from the Libraries.

Confusing bit.:confused:

Should I move the location of the Folders on the C:/ drive to the D:/. What will this do? Will this remove the contents of the Folders on the D:/ Drive? Will it change the icons for all the folders on the D:/ to the ones in the user folder on the C:/.

Also, I read that in Vista, there is a Redirect Option. What does this do and what are the benefits of doing this? Can this be simulated by moving the folders to the D:/ Drive then in the C:/ Drive make a shortcut to the ones in the D:/Drive?

Thanks in advance to any useful help.
:D
Haelbarde

EDIT:

I know how to change the location. Does this remove the Folder from the Users folder on C:/ and put it on D:/ and will everything then automatically go to D:/ Drive instead?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Hi

I'm really confused about what I should do. I recently wiped my HDD after getting a new box, installed XP then W7RC. When installing XP, I made 2 Partitions, C:/ and D:/. The C:/ drive was ~100 GB on which I installed the OS, and the D:/ Drive was ~130 GB. What I then did was copy the contents of the user folder (My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, etc.) onto the D:/ Drive. I set the Libraries to display the Documents, Music, Pictures and Video folders on the D:/ Drive and removed the Users and Public Folders from the Libraries.

Confusing bit.:confused:

Should I move the location of the Folders on the C:/ drive to the D:/. What will this do? Will this remove the contents of the Folders on the D:/ Drive? Will it change the icons for all the folders on the D:/ to the ones in the user folder on the C:/.

Also, I read that in Vista, there is a Redirect Option. What does this do and what are the benefits of doing this? Can this be simulated by moving the folders to the D:/ Drive then in the C:/ Drive make a shortcut to the ones in the D:/Drive?

Thanks in advance to any useful help.
:D
Haelbarde

can you clarify did you
installed XP then W7RC
so wiped xp and replaced it with win7 or did you install win7 into the D: drive ??

to answer the question if you wiped xp and put win7 onto the C: drive then what I do is simply repoint the links under your username right click properties and move to the D: drive which adds the windows examples to your files :)

can you clarify did you so wiped xp and replaced it with win7 or did you install win7 into the D: drive ??

to answer the question if you wiped xp and put win7 onto the C: drive then what I do is simply repoint the links under your username right click properties and move to the D: drive which adds the windows examples to your files :)

I installed XP on the C:/ Drive then installed W7RC on the C:/ Drive

Anyway, main questions I'm asking are:

Haelbarde said:
Will this remove the contents of the Folders on the D:/ Drive? Will it change the icons for all the folders on the D:/ to the ones in the user folder on the C:/.

Thanks anyway, but I already know how to change it (maybe i should have said that), but thanks again.

Last edited:
Will this remove the contents of the Folders on the D:/ Drive? Will it change the icons for all the folders on the D:/ to the ones in the user folder on the C:/.

No to q 1
and yes if you do it right, for q 2 :)

Read XingXianni's link for information on the redirects. Linking is similar in a way to the old DOS subst command. Basically you are making a virtual file or directory link from one spot, and having it point to another real spot. It works rather well in most cases.
You can also try posting to the official Windows 7 RC Support Forum located here Windows 7 Category . They usually respond pretty quickly, and there is tons of information in the SpringBoard: Windows 7 RC | Support, Deployment, Resources

Back
Top Bottom