Windows 7 MS Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 not working

durden

I've had a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 for a short time, and had no problems initially in setting it up with my Acer Aspire 5740G notebook. Recently the mouse stopped working, however it is still showing up in the list of devices. Right-clicking on the mouse's icon does not show a remove or delete menu item, so I can't attempt to re-add the mouse as a new Bluetooth device.

Other Bluetooth devices still work with the notebook, and the mouse still works with my PS3, so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

How can I remove the device from the list of devices, so I can try to add it again? Or is there some other way I can try to get the mouse working again?

Hi durden

I have the ACER aspire 4820T that comes with bluetooth inbuilt. I have the Microsoft bluetooth mouse 5000. I have always been using it with no problems. Suddenly it stopped working.

As usual, I thought I can just re-installing it by using the pairing function under the bluetooth panel "Add a device". Best part is the wizard just keeps going and never stops. My mouse is already in pairing mode.

Next check under devices/printers and believe it or not, it appears as indicated. However under the bluetooth control panel (Show Bluetooth devices), no mouse. In the devices & printers panel, the mouse shows up.

I cannot use the mouse or do a manual installation.

I have also tried to upgrade the drivers for the bluetooth and still not working. Tried the mouse with another computer and no problem. Can anybody advise how to do a reset of the bluetooth module or settings?

Short of a complete reinstallation of win 7 (which I hope to avoid just for one mouse), I have run out of ideas.

Hope somebody can render any insight as to how to resolve the issue.

Durden, did you contact Acer support about this? I tried to but they just blame the mouse and software? Any luck on your side?

Thanks for reading.

Hi Durden,

Went to another site and found a solution that worked. You might want to try it out.

Go to START icon and type in services.msc and select services.

The dialog box that opens has a long list of stuff but look for BLUETOOTH SUPPORT SERVICE. Double click to open. Make sure it is AUTOMATIC. Go to the LOG tab. Choose THIS ACCOUNT and type in LOCAL SERVICE. A list of password (a 15-dot string) would appear. Delete all the password in the PASSWORD and under CONFIRM. Choose Okay.

It will ask you to restart the service. Once restarted, turn on your bluetooth adaptor again. Put your mouse in pairing mode and add the mouse. It works perfectly!!!

Give it a try and see if it helps.

Hi jetpack1976,

Thanks for your suggestion - it worked! One small addition though - I needed to remove the mouse device before adding it again.

Thank you very much!

jetpack1976 and durden,
Thanks! You guys were a great help. My MS BT NB Mouse 5K suddenly stopped working on my netbook with Win 7 HP but it still worked with MAC OS X on this same netbook (dual boot hackint0sh). Your recommendations worked and now the bloody bruise on my forehead can heal. I've been beating my head on the desk for days trying to figure this one out. Thanks again!

Hi jetpack1976,

...it worked! One small addition though - I needed to remove the mouse device before adding it again...

So I was wondering, how did you even remove the mouse device? I have been trying to figure it out, and my computer just keeps coming up with errors. I hope you see this, because I'd really like to know how you removed the device in order to add it again.

I tried everything mentioned on this site but no luck. Finally the thing worked for me was that I opened device manager and then deleted "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator" under "Bluetooth Radios". Once deleted, you can now go to "Devices and Printers" and remove the troubling mouse. Once done that, you can now search for the mouse again from "Find Devices" of Bluetooth Settings. Once the installation is complete, you may have to restart the PC. Best of lucks.

I too have a 5000 mouse (and keyboard) and I have to replace the batteries about every 6 months, or I get similar symptoms. Make sure your batteries are good.

Hi samy293, as like you nothing worked for me, i deleted the MS bluetooth enumerator and deleted the mouse and then reconnected it, it now does not work. Did yours start to work again immediately or did it take some time?
Thanks

Hi Durden,

Went to another site and found a solution that worked. You might want to try it out.

The dialog box that opens has a long list of stuff but look for BLUETOOTH SUPPORT SERVICE. Double click to open. Make sure it is AUTOMATIC. Go to the LOG tab. Choose THIS ACCOUNT and type in LOCAL SERVICE. A list of password (a 15-dot string) would appear. Delete all the password in the PASSWORD and under CONFIRM. Choose Okay.

It will ask you to restart the service. Once restarted, turn on your bluetooth adaptor again. Put your mouse in pairing mode and add the mouse. It works perfectly!!!

Thanks so much for this! I've had major issues with my lenovo thinkpad getting bluetooth to work correctly and after trying many other suggestions, your suggestion did the trick!

Hi Durden,

I've had my Wireless Notebook 5000 and a Presenter 8000 mice for several years now and until recently have had little if any problem pairing them with, or using them on, my Sony Vaio. The usual fixes refused to work this time, however and once removed they have proved seemingly impossible to re-add. Installing 'Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard Centre' has worked for the presenter 8000, although it now requires being used with its supplied Bluetooth dongle (it seems to only support devices supplied with dongles), but the Notebook 5000 isn't supported by it. I came across this in my hunt for answers, gave it a go and it's worked perfectly. Thanx very much for taking the time to post this.

That is a good find but note that KB refers to systems that have a "Broadcom-based Bluetooth radio". Worth checking, however.

Back