Windows 7 my laptop doesn't detect any wireless network

bbhui

ok, im really new to this forum, and i'm not sure if this is already asked/solved, so please be gentle X_X

well about a week ago i bought a new laptop - Lenovo ideapad Y460. Setting it up on the 1st day was easy and all, and my internet connections worked perfectly fine. Then within these few days i've been surfing the web, and sometimes my webpage just doesn't load and it says my internet connection is cut off. Just this morning i had the same message, so i thought i'd try removing the networks and try connecting again. here's the problem. whenever i try to set up a new connection, it says 'Choose the wireless router or access point you want to configure" and "It might take up to 90 seconds for unconfigured devices on your network to appear." but then nothing shows up. i've tried reformatting my laptop, and it doesn't solve the problem.

i've searched on many many MANY sites and forums and none of their 'solutions' worked. i've tried so many methods that i cant remember what i did to my computer. well i'm not sure if this helps, but on the 1st day i tried setting up my laptop's wireless connection, i could even detect my neighbour's router. so i suspect that its the problem with my laptop, rather than my router. my router is 2wire 2701hgv-E (if that helps).

also, my laptop runs on 64 bit windows 7. and i can connect to the internet when plugging the ethernet wire to my laptop. please help me!

Then within these few days i've been surfing the web, and sometimes my webpage just doesn't load and it says my internet connection is cut off. Just this morning i had the same message, so i thought i'd try removing the networks and try connecting again. here's the problem. whenever i try to set up a new connection, it says 'Choose the wireless router or access point you want to configure" and "It might take up to 90 seconds for unconfigured devices on your network to appear." but then nothing shows up. i've tried reformatting my laptop, and it doesn't solve the problem.
Maybe it's a firewall blocking some web pages? Maybe it's a driver problem ?

I don't know, you are saying you have tried many solutions and none worked. Is your router properly configured for SSID, WPA, etc. ?

Did you try system restore ?

ok, im really new to this forum, and i'm not sure if this is already asked/solved, so please be gentle X_X

well about a week ago i bought a new laptop - Lenovo ideapad Y460. Setting it up on the 1st day was easy and all, and my internet connections worked perfectly fine. Then within these few days i've been surfing the web, and sometimes my webpage just doesn't load and it says my internet connection is cut off. Just this morning i had the same message, so i thought i'd try removing the networks and try connecting again. here's the problem. whenever i try to set up a new connection, it says 'Choose the wireless router or access point you want to configure" and "It might take up to 90 seconds for unconfigured devices on your network to appear." but then nothing shows up. i've tried reformatting my laptop, and it doesn't solve the problem.

i've searched on many many MANY sites and forums and none of their 'solutions' worked. i've tried so many methods that i cant remember what i did to my computer. well i'm not sure if this helps, but on the 1st day i tried setting up my laptop's wireless connection, i could even detect my neighbour's router. so i suspect that its the problem with my laptop, rather than my router. my router is 2wire 2701hgv-E (if that helps).

also, my laptop runs on 64 bit windows 7. and i can connect to the internet when plugging the ethernet wire to my laptop. please help me!

Wow, a one week old, brand new laptop and a format and reinstall. Was this performed solely to resolve the problem with the wireless connection, or have you had other issues as well.
In any event, the reinstall, may have left the computer with something less then current up to date drivers as cybercore was suggesting. If you could provide some specific information as to the wireless adapter's manufacturer, model name, model number and version number perhaps we could help you locate a recent driver which may help your issue.
How did you do the format? Did you use the manufacturer provided recovery discs, or the recovery partition on the hard drive, or did you just wipe everything and reinstall Windows 7, from the DVD.

yes, i've tried disabling the firewall. i even went to uninstall my antivirus. i've checked the driver too, it says its working properly.

and my router uses a WEP key.

and yes i've done system restore, but it still doesnt work

Wow, a one week old, brand new laptop and a format and reinstall. Was this performed solely to resolve the problem with the wireless connection, or have you had other issues as well.
solely for the wireless connection.

In any event, the reinstall, may have left the computer with something less then current up to date drivers as cybercore was suggesting. If you could provide some specific information as to the wireless adapter's manufacturer, model name, model number and version number perhaps we could help you locate a recent driver which may help your issue.
erm.. i'm not too sure about the manufacturer, since my mom already threw away the manual to it (yes dang it) well its a modem from a local company, its called Singtel Miobox with the brand 2WIRE, and the model number is 2701HGV-E.

How did you do the format? Did you use the manufacturer provided recovery discs, or the recovery partition on the hard drive, or did you just wipe everything and reinstall Windows 7, from the DVD.
i was prompted to do a system backup on my 1st day, so i burned it to my own blank DVD. I first used the DVD, and it couldn't work. Then i tried doing recovery from the partition on the hard drive too, and it couldn't work as well.

I don't think there's a problem with my router, because i'm pretty sure there are many other wireless network routers around me here that i can detect (it worked on the first day itself) the problem now is that i can detect none. im suspecting that there's some settings disabled, but X_X i dont know im a noob

solely for the wireless connection.

erm.. i'm not too sure about the manufacturer, since my mom already threw away the manual to it (yes dang it) well its a modem from a local company, its called Singtel Miobox with the brand 2WIRE, and the model number is 2701HGV-E.

i was prompted to do a system backup on my 1st day, so i burned it to my own blank DVD. I first used the DVD, and it couldn't work. Then i tried doing recovery from the partition on the hard drive too, and it couldn't work as well.

I don't think there's a problem with my router, because i'm pretty sure there are many other wireless network routers around me here that i can detect (it worked on the first day itself) the problem now is that i can detect none. im suspecting that there's some settings disabled, but X_X i dont know im a noob

OK, my question was concerning the actual network adapter (wireless) that's installed inside the laptop. I did some checking and I believe that your laptop is using an Intel Wi-Fi Link 1000, at least that's the best information I could get from Lenovo's site regarding your particular model. so try going here
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+WiFi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+WiFi+Link+1000
select your particular version of Windows 7, there should be a driver and a connection utility, both dated 2/26/2010 download and install them and see if that helps.
Since you still haven't explained how you got your computer running again, (you described two methods that failed, but not a method that succeeded) You may very well need additonal drivers to bring the machine current. You could possibly try Lenovo's site to see if there are any other drivers specific to your computer. Chipset, audio, video, etc.

OK, my question was concerning the actual network adapter (wireless) that's installed inside the laptop. I did some checking and I believe that your laptop is using an Intel Wi-Fi Link 1000, at least that's the best information I could get from Lenovo's site regarding your particular model. so try going here
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+WiFi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+WiFi+Link+1000
select your particular version of Windows 7, there should be a driver and a connection utility, both dated 2/26/2010 download and install them and see if that helps.
nope sorry i didnt catch your question. my laptop's network adapter is actually 'Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet'. so do i still continue with the download?

Since you still haven't explained how you got your computer running again, (you described two methods that failed, but not a method that succeeded) You may very well need additonal drivers to bring the machine current. You could possibly try Lenovo's site to see if there are any other drivers specific to your computer. Chipset, audio, video, etc.
what do you the method that succeeded? as in, those were the only two methods i've tried. in both times i tried, the wireless network couldn't work. the rest of the functions were fine

nope sorry i didnt catch your question. my laptop's network adapter is actually 'Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet'. so do i still continue with the download?

what do you the method that succeeded? as in, those were the only two methods i've tried. in both times i tried, the wireless network couldn't work. the rest of the functions were fine

Actually, devices with Gigabit in their names usually mean a wired network adapter, I thought you question and primary problem involved the wireless adapter for your computer? Are you sure that your wireless adapter is a 'Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet'?
Is your problem with both wired and wireless adapter connections?

Actually, devices with Gigabit in their names usually mean a wired network adapter, I thought you question and primary problem involved the wireless adapter for your computer? Are you sure that your wireless adapter is a 'Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet'?
Is your problem with both wired and wireless adapter connections?

no, it works fine if i plug in the ethernet cable.

well i'm not really sure, i went to the device manager, and under 'Network adapters', i see 'Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)' , 'Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)' , and 'Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet'. these are the only three there, so i always thought the broadcom one was for wireless. oh no.. is my wireless missing now?

Look in device manager for any indication of problem devices that would indicate an unknown device or a device without a driver, generally they are automatically expanded and marked with a problem icon.
Also, does this computer have some type of button, or function key combination, or special switch, that allows you to turn off and on the wireless radio? Do you see anything with a light, maybe on the bezel above the keyboard, or along one of the sides of the laptop indicating that the wireless radio is turned on?

Look in device manager for any indication of problem devices that would indicate an unknown device or a device without a driver, generally they are automatically expanded and marked with a problem icon.
Also, does this computer have some type of button, or function key combination, or special switch, that allows you to turn off and on the wireless radio? Do you see anything with a light, maybe on the bezel above the keyboard, or along one of the sides of the laptop indicating that the wireless radio is turned on?

nope its just the three icons there, there's no other icons under network adapters. and there's no buttons for wireless radio, except one that is for bluetooth devices. well i left it on since day one anyway. i cant find any buttons, and the manual doesn't say anything either. but there is a system status indicator( some sort of light) for 'wireless communication indicator'. well ever since the problem started i notice that its no longer lighting up. and im pretty sure there's no buttons around it to activate it. nothing is said on the manual

wait, on the manual it says 'press Fn + F5' for configuration using Wi-Fi/WiMax. On the manual it says WiMax is the wireless connection. omg when i pressed Fn + F5 there's only the bluetooth option, and no other wireless configuration. with the 'Intel Wi-Fi Link 1000' you mentioned earlier, and about the missing device for network adapters, i'm pretty sure mine is missing! do you think this is possible?

i just tried downloading the files in the link you gave me. it still doesnt work

Back
Top Bottom