Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

brkkab … last i read, the ram you had settled on was not gonna' work with the mobo-config … are you still open to choosing ram?

if i recall correctly, you were going with a tower which had "clear" side-view portal (to show off the internal components)? anyway, i came across some new ddr4 ram-sticks from corsair that actually light up … the price is not too bad (16gb/$90).

This RAM is lit

Actually the side window on my case isn't that big. It has one tht'a clear and a black mesh one on the lower side panel. The black mesh one has a 200mm. fan hooked to it. Actually, I like G Skill. I've never had any issues with their ram. The only actual issue I ever has, was my own fault. When I built my first pc, I got a 8GB kit of there first Ripjaws series ram. Then a few month's later I bought a second kit of the same ram. The timings were different from the first kit, so I just ordered another one and sold thr 1st kit to a friend.
I've got 32GBs this time around and both kits were bought together.
They actually match my motherboard.
Other than the Sapphire Nitro RX 480, the only other things I'm getting are the red led fans, a newer webcam and probably a new Xbox One controller (if I can find a wired one).
If not, I'm done spending for a while.
Tomorrow's gonna break me for the month. I have to get a x-ray on my dogs back left leg tomorrow, when I get him his shot's and tag.
Apparently he twisted his leg Saturday playing with my roommate.
He's been limping and kind of milking it I think.
He likes me lifting him and putting him on my bed.
Actually, I know he is milking it, as he ran when I gave him spaghetti earlier.
I can't cook anything without him getting some.
He loves slim-jims, banans, apples, and cheeseburgers (no bun), too.

The worst I ever saw him do, was when I got out of the hospital from my kidney stones in November, he ran and jumped on me at atleast 40-50 m.p.h.

Between Wednesday & next Monday, I have some work to do. I'm gonna take my psu out of the case, pull my Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 out and put the bottom fans back on it. Then I'm planning ahead and rewiring everything after I have the motherboard. Planning ahead for when I get the new fans, so I'll have easy access to the cases fsn controller wiring. I still haven't put the new led lighting switch in the case that NZXT sent me.
All that will be done Wednesday or Thursday. I would do it tomorrow, but I'm staying up all night, so I can be at my dog's vet's office when they open at 7:00 A.M. tomorrow morning.
Friday, I may put the cpu in the motherboard and my M.2 ssd. I'm not going to do anything else, until nobodies around, so if I go outside with my dog, the pc doesn't get messed with by anybody.
The day I got my case, I took my dog outside. I came back in and my 4 thumbscrews for the side-panels had walked off. I still have the center one on each side, so I haven't worried about it yet.

I bought 2 m.2 ssd's for 2 pc's. Had them in one week and took the out.
They kill some of your Sata ports, slow boot and slow shut down.
Mine were m.2 x4 ssd's and killed 4 sata ports.
I have gone back to Samsung 850 evo ssd's.
Hope you have better luck.

On my motherboard it takes away sata port 1 &2. It's a Samsung, so Samsung Magician has Rapid Mode in it. That about doubles the ssd's speed.
There's also a trick in Windows when you have a ssd.
Restart your pc 7 times, then login after the 7th time. Then benchmark your ssd. Benchmark it first, too. It will speed up after the 7 restarts.

Enable Rapid Mode in Samsung Magician on yours. It increases the speed.
big time.
I found a trick with ssd's that's worked since Windows 8 and still works in 10.
Restart your pc 7 times and login after the 7th. Benchmark your ssd before and after. After that trick it will be faster. Old tip Maximum PC had a few years ago.

Here's one for you and kemical. Which of these 2 videos seems more logical? Video 1: or video 2 Video 2 seems more logical to me, but something is telling me no.

Either way, that's the little plastic piece I've used for it. They only have a small piece of paper about it in the little plastic pouch it comes in. The 2nd video just seems too easy to me.
Those are the only 2 that cover it, though, Asus doesn't even have any on it. Which seems weird.

Then again Asus's Strix RX 480 is gonna have 3 fans. It will probably cost atleast $350.00 for the extra 3" of space
That's ok though, I haven't heard anything good about their GPU Tweak on the ROG Forums they have.

KAOS: Down the road that M.2 ssd will probably get upgraded. I can also put one in my PCIe x16_3 slot, set the slot to x4, if I'm not running SLI or Crossfire and both would be fine and twice as fast, as they'd be in R.A.I.D.
The R.A.I.D. part, I still need to learn more about.
As soon as the Samsung 950 Pro's dropdown in price, I'll get a M.2 512GB one and a PCIex4 512GB. one and R.A.I.D. both and enable Rapid Mode for both. They'd probably get at least 4000 m.b.p.s. in benchmark's.

Or I could get one that's M.2 and a SATA 6 for the second one and ditch my slower Intel ssd. My Samsung 840 Pro even kick's the Intel's ass.
At first I had the Intel 530 Series 480GB in this pc and I put Windows 10 on it. It didn't last more than a month, before I put Windows 10 on my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB and what wouldn't fit on the Samsung (basically all my games).
On the new pc my Samsung 850EVO 500GB M.2 is getting the newer games and the Intel will get the older ones.I'm only maybe going to have about 80-90GB's minus a TB. between the 2 ssd's.
I'll have room to play with, but then I'll start getting more Humble Bumble pack's.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm not installing any game's until I get the new video card. Then, I'll uninstall Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 for probably 1/2-1 day, to install and setup the games. Then, I'll re-install Bitdefender, let it take 2-3 hours to do it's first full scan, then do a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free and get back to normal.
I'm just putting my old XFX Radeon HD 5770 in it until I get the RX 480.
I'm not pulling anything else, out of this pc. I've already puled my DVD-RW, Blu-Ray RE, Intel ssd, Seagate Barracuda 3.0TB hdd and memory card reader out of it.
Everything else, goes with it, when I sell it. Old monitor included.
Then, I'll be able to get my new glasses, as this pc is gonna pay for them.
I'm either gonna get a new keyboard & mouse for the new pc or see if my wireless keyboard and mouse will work on the newer motherboard.
The motherboard in this pc doesn't like wireless keyboards & mouse.
I miss not having the 2 extra wires and only needing to replace the batteries once a year, as I use a game controller for any gaming.

Which of these 2 videos seems more logical?
Both seemed equally logical to be honest.

As for gaming, k'board and mouse man myself. I've tried controllers of course but prefer the k'board and mouse, they just seem more accurate.

In a way, I'm unsure why they're doing it, as Nvidia isn't interested in sli with the new GTX 10** cards.

Back