Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

nmsuk: Thanks, I'm gonna try it in a few minutes.
I just downloaded it from the link you posted.
I'm waiting for EasyDuplicatteFinder to finish it's run, then I'll put it on my flash drive and see if it works.

This is good to see.
Capture.PNG

Yeah, disk cleanup can get rid of the Windows.old folder.
I have my registry set to 0 days for temp files and if a new version of 10 is released I just run disk cleanup and have it remove previous versions of Windows.
If the Windows.old folder is still there, I just go into safe mode and delete it.
Change How Long Windows Keeps Temporary Files
  1. Go to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Volume Cacches\Temporary Files
  2. Change Last Access from 7 to 1
  3. Restart computer
  4. I have mine set to 0 instead of 1

3D Mark scores:
Time Spy: 4543
Fire Strike Extreme: 6233
Fire Strike: 12126

PCMark 10 scores:
PCMark 10: 6258
PCMark 10 Extended: 7037

These are after the Microsofy patch for Spectre & Meltdown, new Asus UEFI and new video card drivers.

*NOTE TO ALL*
According to Woody Leonard www.askwoody.com there's 2 new cpu bugs similar to Meltdown & Spectre out there that nobody is talking about yet.

Had a weird one Monday last week.
I restarted my pc after a full av scan with Bitdefender that came up clean and Windows repeatedly couldn't find Windows. Safe Mode wouldn't work. Booting from my Windows 10 flash drive and running Check Disk didn't solve the issue.
Clean install started on Monday and pc was all reset up by Friday.
I found a few of my games that wouldn't reinstall after the clean install.
I cut back on the games I have installed now from in the 70's to in the 50's.
I'm also still waiting a week later to hear back with a solution from Cyberlink on why Media Suite 14 won't re-activate, so I can reinstall it.
At least my older Media Suite 12 would install without any issues.
Now it's on to ordering my Logitech Driving Force G920 Racing Wheel once it's February 2nd at 1 A.M.

Last edited:
Logitech Driving Force G920 Racing Wheel is ordered.
Next month I'm taking a breather on pc parts, games and software upgrades.
I'm gonna wait and see how AMD's new Ryzen cpu's and X470 motherboards are and then plan the upgrade.
Next month's gonna be new tires (needed) and 2 spare tubes for my mountain bike.
Seeing as it has odd sized rims (27.5"), it's more expensive for tires and tubes.
I don't know about in other states, but in Florida, Walmart only has up to 26" tubes or tires, so I need to order them online.

Cyberlink finally fixed my Media Suite 14 Ultra key, so it would work again today.
It only took them a week and 5 days to do it.
My Logitech Driving Force G920 Racing Wheel is supposed to be here sometime Tuesday.

3DMark scres @Default Factory O.V. Settings Video Speed 1342 & Memory Cllock 2000
Time Spy: 4358
Fire Strike Extreme: 6040
Fire Strike: 11687

All are down from previous scores, but they were run ! Video Speed: 1430 & Memory Clock 2150.
I'll re-run at those for a accurate comparison of the 2 drivers.

3DMark scores at my overclock settings of Video 1430, Memory 2150 and mV +60
Time Spy 4449 down from 4543
Fire Strike Extreme 6404 up a lot from 6233
Fire Strike 12358 up a lot from 12126

Previous 3DMark run prior to tonight was with the Crimson Adrenalin 18.1.1 drivers.
I never ran it on the Crimson Adrenalin 18.1.2 drivers, even though I installed them.

Firestrike 13126 slightly up
Firestrike Extreme 6453
Timespy 4721

Core 1338 Mem 2000 so stock but with an undervolt of -50mV

Yeah, it will be a while before I have my Ryzen stuff.
The raing wheel arrives tomorrow, so I get to resetup all my car games.
I got DiRT Rally yesterday on a killer sale for $10.00 thanks to a article PC Gamer posted yesterday.
That sale for that price ended I believe, if not it's only good for a few more hours.
Article link for it: Pick up excellent racer Dirt Rally for $10, its lowest ever price | PC Gamer
Next month I'm getting bike parts.
April starts my Ryzen saving, planning and getting.
I'll know what's going on with the newer Ryzen cpu's and newer X470 motherboards by then.
Then I'll make the choice over a R7 1700/1700X or newer Ryzen cpu and whether to go with a X370 or X470 motherboard.
I'm gonna probably get the cpu in May and the motherboard in July.
Then September or October will be the ram.
A newer video card will probably be in November or December, followed by a 4K monitor.
After that's done I need a bigger external h.d.
I'm getting sick of only 2 weeks of backups only fitting on my current 3TB one.
As far as Windows 10, as far as backing up my pc, I've noticed a serious slowdown since the Spectre patches.
Now a backup & system image with Winows 10's Windows 7 Backup takes 14+ hours each time now.
It used to be 10 minutes for the 2nd and previous backups and 3 1/2 hours for a system image.

Back
Top Bottom