Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center - "Not connected - Connections are available"

aim

Hi all,

Every thing worked fine until the day I started to play in the Windows registry :redface: I renamed some keys (I did not delete any key) that contained the names of all the wireless networks to which I have ever been connected. Those keys include:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Broadcom\CM\AC\SSID

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Broadcom\CM\{1BCF01FA-8438-4005-95BE-565D3E3EB453}\Rules

After renaming those keys, the Network and Sharing Center icon on the taskbar does not show the name of the network to which I'm connected! It only show a baloon message saying "Not connected - Connections are available"! I renamed those key again to their original name but it didn't solve the problem. Although I'm connected to a network (via wireless connection or/and LAN), the Network and Sharing Center icon on the taskbar always shows me "Not connected - Connections are available".

Thanks for your feedbacks!
AIM

The first possible solution I would attempt, depending on how long ago this occured, is a system restore, to a restore point prior to the time "the day I started to play in the Windows registry". If that is not an option then perhaps
Open device manager, expand network adapters select each adapter and right click and uninstall, then right click on the command prompt shortcut and choose run as administrator, then type sfc /scannow then reboot the machine and wait till the hardware wizard reinstalls your network adapters and see if that helps.
I probably don't have to tell you this now, but in the future, before editing the registry always, back it up, create a restore point and export the particular key to your desktop or other safe place before the edit so it's easy to fix a problem edit.

Thank you for your reply.

First of all I must admit that you're right about the backup of registry! I should have backup the keys that I renamed. But, I thought to myself, I'm just renaming the keys and just adding a prefix so that I can rename back to the original name in case something goes wrong (what I also did) but apparently damage was already done.
I could not restore my settings using the system restore because I delete the old restore point in order to save disk space. I could not try what you suggested to do with the network adapters because my hard disk crashed shortly after I wrote this post and I reinstalled the OS from scratch (this is the reason that I'm replying just now). My problem is solved after the reinstall of the OS. Nevertheless I'll remember your suggestion and will try it out in the future if such problems occur.

AIM

Sorry to hear that the OS reinstall was required, but glad your problem is finally resolved. We've all been there, and sometimes learning lessons the hard way are often the most valuable lessons learned.
Best of Luck in the future.

Back