Windows 7 New computer with problems!

Maikwhac

Okay so, first of all I'm new to the entire world of forums, but this time I really need some help. I bought this new computer about a month ago on a website (where I've bought a lot of things before). I chose the parts and they built it for me, so to start off here are the specs!

Cooler Master Elite 430 Midi Tower Black
Fläktar: 1x 120mm Front, Blue LEDs, mATX, ATX, 2x
Corsair TX V2 650W PSU
ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard. 2x 6+2-pin
ASUS P8Z68-V LX, Socket-1155
ATX, Z68, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX, SATA 6Gb/s, U
Intel® Core i5-2500K Processor
Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.3Ghz, 6MB, 95W, Boxed
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Venge
PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
PCI-Express 2.1, 2xDVI, HDMI, 2xmini-DisplayPort,
Sony Optiarc DVD±RW Writer, AD-5280S
SATA, DVD±R: 24x, DVD+RW: 8x, DVD-RW: 6x, Bulk, BL
Seagate Barracuda® 1TB
SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3.5"

But when I start the computer (which already had windows 7 installed) most of the times BIOS doesnt seem to find the hard drive. Say 2 out of 10 times it actually does find the hard drive, and then the computer works properly... for about 15 minutes. Than it gives me a blue screen and when i restart the hard drive is missing again. So first of all i figured i would check the boot priority in BIOS. It did prioritize the hard drive, (the few times it would actually find the hard drive that is). Then i thought that i would just swap the SATA cables and power cables (they use the same cables anyways), since BIOS always found the dvd drive but not the hard drive. I mixed around with it abit, but no matter what i did BIOS always found the dvd drive and only sometimes the hard drive. Since i thought that the hard drive was the issue (i still do) i decided to send it back to the company. I did, and today i got a mail saying they couldnt find a problem with it, and they're sending it back.

Could anyone possibly help me? (sorry if this is a long thread by the way). I guess i could just send the entire computer back for a fix but since its entirely new i dont really see why that would be necessary (and also im eager to start using it haha). Any help would be appreciated!

Which SATA ports do you have the drives plugged into? Are you using the SATA III cable or the SATA II cable for the hard drive?

If that board has on board video, I would remove the Radeon for testing. The board normally has the Intel graphics driver.

Basically disconnect whatever you can to simplify the system. You do not need the DVDs, so disconnect both of them.

If it still bluescreens, disconnect the Hard drive and use one of the DVDs to boot to a linux live CD/DVD to test the system for stability.

Well both drives are plugged into the SATA 6gb/s slots (if thats what you mean) and i am using sata 3 cables for them both. I guess i can try to "simplify" the system, but i dont really think thats going to help. i am probably going to send in the computer so they can fix it:)

After looking at your mobo specs and how you have it connected...I think I've found your problem....? You have your hard drive plugged into the sata 6 port using a sata 3 cable...you need to move the hard drive to a sata 3 port. You can keep it in the sata 6 port but you'll need a sata 6 cable.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I don't see a reply, so I'll just say, great catch, bassfisher6522! Man, I dread having those types of problems, and you guys have helped me before, so thanks.

Back