Windows 7 New Dell computer....

The memory I got from Dell was manufactured by Hynix Semiconductor(Hyuandai Electronics)

The specs are....2 x 4Gig, DDR3-SDRAM, 1333 MHz.

Well the computer is noticably faster. Programs load up faster, web pages load up almost instanly, music loads up into programs really quick....I'll be able to work with larger music programs, meaning more recording tracks, more instruments, effects such as reverb and delay soak up memory, the music sample programs I have eat up as much memory as they can get. No I'm not going back to 4 gigs any time soon.

Hmmm, never used it. I mostly get Corsair, Kingston or OCZ. I looked up the website, I have seen the branding some where before...just not sure where.

The speed of programs and featurs of the programs would be affected more by the speed of the disk it is installed on. Web pages are affected more by the internet connection and web browser than memory. Though the ammount of things that you can load at one time, you are spot on. Depending on how much the program is designed to use, it can use alot of memory. The more things you add the more memory it is going to use. Only if you add faster RAM, and all the RAM has to be the same spee, will it affect speed at all.

Well I mainly bought the 8 gigs of ram to help out the sound sample programs and the Sonar X1 recording program. Both will be upgraded to 64 bit programs this week. This is so I can get the most out of my 8 gigs of ram. I haven't even begun to see the effects yet. The computer sure seems to be much zippier (is that a word ? )than it was.

In other news, I also upgraded my computer chair. I was at the local Salvation Army Thrift Store, and spotted a like new black vinyl high back office chair that is super comfortable and supports my back nicely. They had it marked at $89.00 so I decided to buy it because it looked like a $200 chair. I get to the register and the girl said it had been on the floor for two weeks and was now eligible for a 25 % discount, so I ended up getting it for $ 72 with tax....excellent buy !!

Hmmm, never used it. I mostly get Corsair, Kingston or OCZ. I looked up the website, I have seen the branding some where before...just not sure where.

The speed of programs and featurs of the programs would be affected more by the speed of the disk it is installed on. Web pages are affected more by the internet connection and web browser than memory. Though the ammount of things that you can load at one time, you are spot on. Depending on how much the program is designed to use, it can use alot of memory. The more things you add the more memory it is going to use. Only if you add faster RAM, and all the RAM has to be the same spee, will it affect speed at all.
Naiya, for his music programs it may very well have an effect. We really do not know how they work. But for other programs and the web you are right - it is a placebo effect.

Yea, the music programs might speed up a little on start up, though that would be along the lines of a running out of RAM fix. The more memory it has to play with that it will the faster it will load, just for the simple fact that it dosen't have to worry about where in memory it goes, it just slaps it in there. In that case you will be limited by the DMA, the speed on with the disk and memory will talk to each other.

I almost put DRM instead of DMA, RIAA must be talkinga bout me LMAO

Well like I said the music programs are 64 bit for a reason, so they can access more that 3.2 gigs of memory that a 32 bit program would access...that's what I have now, 32 bit programs. Once they get upgraded they will be much more powerful programs, which will run extra music tracks better, better sound effects like reverb, compression, delay etc....those are real memory hogs...the sound samples will play better, smoother, quicker...etc..overall 8 gigs of memory will make a huge difference in their performance, and it's all highly recommended by the software companies to get as much memory as your computer will support. In my case, the Dell 620 will only support upto 8 gigs, so I'm maxed out on this computer. There's guys out there with 16-24 gigs of memory that swear by the improvements.

After running Windows 7-32 bit for a year or so, and now running Windows 7-64 bit, there is quite a bit of difference in performance, which I attribute to better access to more memory. It's not just a placebo. There is a noticable difference. If there wasn't a difference, we'd all still be running 256K ram.

Oh where to start on this one.

The limit of a 32 bit Windows after 2000 is 4 GB, not 3.2...what have I told you about pulling number out of a hat LMAO Memory only holds the information that comes from a disk, and sends it to the places it needs to be sent. The ammount of RAM only dictates how many things can be loaded at one time, not the quality. An 1000 Mhz PIII Xeon can run something like 5 GB of registered ECC Rambus, but it is still going to run like crap if you try to use it to run Adobe CS 5. It is with in the minimum requirements, though it is really old and wont preform at all. Performance wise there is no differnce in a 32 Bit and 64 Bit Windows, because they are almost the same. The kernel, a few services, the addition of the Program Files x86, that is really all that is difernt. There are lots of things deep in the system, though that was coverd with the change in the Kernel. If you take a look around, your OS, there is really ver few things that are a 64 Bit process. Most people dont even know that there is a diffence in Media Player, and they are using the 32 Bit version. Pull up your Taks Manager, and go under Processes...any name that is followed by a *32 is a 32 Bit process, and the exact same thing that runs on a 32 Bit Windows. It is a placebo effect, you wanted it to make your computer faster, and now you think you see working. If I was to replace your RAM with two two GB sticks, you wouldn't notice, well unless you ran out of RAM that is. We have so much because it takes so much more to hole all the crap that is being used today. The examle you used of:

If there wasn't a difference, we'd all still be running 256K ram.

is adsurd. You are trying to relate space and speed together, when that are not relateable. More space doesn't translate to faster, never has and never will. It is a ghost, an illution of what the use wants it to be like. In short, it is exactly what whs said it is, a placebo effect, plain and simple.

You didn't listen to a single thing I have been saying. This is what really intersts me, that you are trying so hard to prove me wrong, when I have 22 years experience and a Computer Networking Systems degree behind me, that says I know what I am talking about. I have run computers with specs that would make your head explode, we are talking about corperate servers, not this little workstation stuff. Servers running 8 or even 16 processors and 20+ hard drives. I know what I am talking about and I know what I am doing. So go ahead and make your next little post about how I am wrong. It will make something intersting to read.

Why then won't you take my challenge and try downgrading your memory and see what happens ?? I'll tell you right now Windows 7-32 bit won't work at all with 256k, as the minimum requirements are 1 gig for a 32 bit installation and 2 gigs for a 64 bit installation.

Why can't you admit that more memory=better performance ??

I hate to tell you this but 8+ gigs of memory is becoming the new standard for musicians. Nobody is impressed with 4 gigs anymore.

The minimum requirements for memory and drive spcae are based on space not speed or performance. The minimum requirements is what is needed to run the software, not what is needed but more will make it run better. The challance is null and void, because even if I wanted to entertain the notion, there are not sticks that small that will run in my system. I would be suprised if I could find a 256 MB or even a 512 MB.

Why can't you admit that more memory=better performance ??

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T, NO MATTER HOW MUCH RAM YOU PUT IN YOUR SYSTEM IT WILL STILL RUN AT THE SAME SPEED AS IF YOU WHERE RUNNING THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS. I DON'T CARE IF YOU ARE RUNNING 500 GB, IT WILL STILL RUN AT THE SAME PERFORMACE LEVEL AS IF YOU WHERE RUNNING 2 OR 4. The only acception is if you change the speed, even then it is not because you changed how much RAM is in the system it is beause you changed the speed.

If you are putting together you system to impress other, you are a bigger looser then I thought you were. Put it together for yourself, and what you need, not to be popular with people that only understand buzz words.

No, I'm upgrading my computer to suite myself and my needs. A 64 bit system will work fabulous for me, based on the experiences of others that have already gone down that path. Yes I am getting guidance from more experienced pro's, does that make me a loser ?? No, I don't think so. The professionals of which I speak, are the people who are creating music scores for tv, movies, commercials, etc...they do this for a living and are a very advanced bunch.

That is all nice and dandy, though that doesn't mean they know how a computer works. Plenty of people use computers everyday but couldn't tell you the difference between PC3-10600 and PC3-12800 or even the difference bwtween DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

A computer is an eco system of harmany. Not one single upgrade will make it faster. It has to come from a series of upgrades. That is a fact, and it wont change.

A 500 gig hard drive upgrade from a 200 gig drive will give better performance thru more storage space. A i7 chip will perform better than an i3 chip, 8 gigs of memory is better that 2 gigs. Any one of these upgrades will improve overall performance.

A 500 gig hard drive upgrade from a 200 gig drive will give better performance thru more storage space.

No that would be you have more space, not better performance. Just because you have more space to play with doesn't mean it will work better. To get better performance out of a disk you will have to go Solid State, get a faster spin, get more cache...but the point being more space doesn't mean faster.

A i7 chip will perform better than an i3 chip

That is true, an i7 is better than an i3 and with its specs will preform better than an i3.

8 gigs of memory is better that 2 gigs.

Any one of these upgrades will improve overall performance.

Not just any one of these upgrades will improve the performance of the machine. It is a system of changes to make it run better.

More space=better performance. My first hard drive was a 3 gig drive. Next I upgraded to a 10 gig drive. Now I'm at a 500 gig drive. Try downgrading back to a 3 gig drive and maybe then you'll see what I mean about performance. Withouth that extra space, many programs won't work for you, because they CAN"T be installed. Along with space upgrades come speed upgrades from 5400 to 7200 RPM, does that not also help performance ??

It would run perfectly fine with a Linux based server or some Linux Workstation distrobutions or Windows 2000 Server or Workstation or Windows Server 2003.

Back