Windows 8 New to Win8

Richard Myers

Hello

My wife has recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 8.

She is very conventional approach in her use of PC and prefers the traditional desktop environment rather than the "app" focused navigation.

When the mouse pointer moves to the corner of the screen a three / four icons appear and without avoiding these areas you can quickly revert back to the "app" desktop rather than the traditional version.

Is there anyway to disable this function and remain on the traditional desktop at all times?

Many thanks.

Richard

Hi

I also recommend Classic Shell, it works great I've been using it since Windows 7 came out.
I've never had any issues with it you can boot right to the desktop, and you can have any interface from XP onward.

it does not disable any Windows 8 features.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Mike

Hello

When the mouse pointer moves to the corner of the screen a three / four icons appear and without avoiding these areas you can quickly revert back to the "app" desktop rather than the traditional version.

Is there anyway to disable this function and remain on the traditional desktop at all times?

Many thanks.

Richard

I believe you are referring to Charmbar that appears at the right side of the screen.
Here is how to disable the function you mentioned.........
Right click at an open spot inside the taskbar at the bottom > select Properties > click Navigation tab at the top > UN-check "When I point to the upper right corner, show the charms" > click OK when done.
P.S. you can still go to charmbar by pressing the Windows key + C key together.

Also have a look at the options under Start screen heading.( Not sure if all these Start screen options are applicable to Win 8.0. I had Win 8.0 only for a week or so, and then upgraded to Win 8.1.)
Image 1.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies.

So the only way to disable this is with a new shell?

Hi

As far as I know the best answer is to use Classic Shell or Start 8.
Windows 8 doesn't really have a built in desktop only interface.

I prefer Classic Shell myself, but that's probably because it's what I've always used.

Mike

To Richard,
If your issue is about Charmbar showing up when you run your cursor over the right corner of the screen, then disable the function is all you need to do.
I use Start8 myself, and while it is dirt cheap, points you may want to consider........
1. In start8, charmbar will still show up when you run your cursor over the right corner of the screen unless it is disabled.
2. Rumour has it that the upcoming Win 9 will be offered to Win 8/8.1 either free or in big discount. You probably will upgrade to it too. The source of rumour has been quite accurate in the past.
http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...of-may-give-users-a-reason-to-upgrade-1262864
3. Windows 9 will eliminate Charmbar.
4. Win 9 will also re-introduce Start menu. Not sure how it will work, but if it is anything close to Win 7 Start menu, then Start8 and Classic Shell may become obsolete.

Of course, you are encouraged to try out either Start8 or Classic Shell. It won't hurt.

Last edited:
Hi

I still used Classic Shell in Windows 7 because I didn't like the scrolling start menu.
It also improved the work-ability of Windows Explorer.

With over 100 pieces of software of one kind or another installed it just was too much to scroll through everything to find what I wanted, I have much the same problem with Metro.

I prefer the start menu style from XP which incorporates folders etc. and still will probably use it when Windows 9 goes live.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom