Windows 7 New Windows 7 Installation crashing

Ah but it wasn't AVG it twas Avast. Hey but I'm not complaining, I'm on the second boot and no issues at all. I'm not counting any chickens just yet so will give it a few days and let you know either way!
Thanks a lot Elmer!!:teeth:

When I got home yesterday i booted the PC and no problems all night. Booted up today and about a minute after starting Google Chrome (wonder if thats a problem??) the display went black. It came back a few seconds later with no errors but then went black again and the PC rebooted. Usual message came up about "Windows didn't shut down correctly etc etc" I let it start normally and so far its not misbehaving.
I've attached the usual but i presume its the Graphics Card driver again.:(

Attachments

• PCHF5a.zip
    968.5 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
And it stayed stable all that evening. Just got home and booted PC. left it alone and after less than a minute on the desktop.....blackscreen but this time it rebooted straight away. Weird huh?

STOP 0x00000116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Usual causes:
Video driver, overheating, bad video card, ?BIOS, ?Power to card.

Your latest dump file lists nvlddmkm.sys as the probable cause (graphics).

As a Priority:

(Don't know how I missed these two. Blame it on senility!!)

AsIO.sys Mon Aug 03 08:02:32 2009 ASUS Probe Utility - Has issues with Windows 7. Uninstall.

AsUpIO.sys Mon Jul 06 03:21:27 2009 ASUS hardware monitoring utility (AMD Overdrive??). Possible issues with Windows 7. Uninstall.

Help Us By Filling In Your System Specs.

Use the ASUS Updater to check for updates for your system.

I don"t see anything called those to uninstall. Would deleting or renaming the drivers do it? I'm wondering if updating the BIOS might be a good idea as its still the original one (and I see the ASUS site has one BIOS for Windows Vista.)
Today's bootup didn't even get to the desktop and I got an actual Blue screen this time! I let it restart and boot normally and as before its ok now.
Attached the usual just in case.:wink:

Attachments

• PCHF6.zip
    1 MB · Views: 393
Yup!! Same as usual!!

Rename those drivers. I'd set a restore point first just in case! It'll break the software/hardware the drivers are associated with so don't bin them straight away.

I would update your BIOS to the latest version as well.

Last edited:
Just passing by, follow Elmers suggestions first.

I do note an old asacpi.sys driver (from 2004) and that is a known cause of BSOD's.

There are also several extremely old drivers that need updating in addition to what Elmer has suggested.
Code:
ASACPI.sys    8/12/2004 10:52:52 PM        0x8e88a000    0x8e88b420    0x00001420    0x411c2d04                        
nvm62x32.sys    10/17/2008 5:00:39 PM        0x8e835000    0x8e889c80    0x00054c80    0x48f8fcf7

How To Find Drivers:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.html
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: http://www.carrona.org/drvrdown.html

I would also remove and replace Avast with Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I do note an old asacpi.sys driver (from 2004) and that is a known cause of BSOD's.

There are also several extremely old drivers that need updating in addition to what Elmer has suggested.
Code:
ASACPI.sys    8/12/2004 10:52:52 PM        0x8e88a000    0x8e88b420    0x00001420    0x411c2d04                        
nvm62x32.sys    10/17/2008 5:00:39 PM        0x8e835000    0x8e889c80    0x00054c80    0x48f8fcf7

How To Find Drivers:
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference Driver Reference
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: Drivers and Downloads

I would also remove and replace Avast with Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks Zigzag, Elmer has already got me to dump Avast so i've had MSE for a few days now. Thats really weird that ASACPI.sys is there as it was renamed ASACPI.BAK days ago AND has a date of 2009!
Also the nvm62x32.sys file doesn't have a 2008 date either. So where are these drivers coming from????
I am looking in my Windows (7) directory then in System32 then finally the Drivers folder. It wouldn't be looking at the Windows XP installation would it?
I'll update the BIOS and see how that goes and those drivers too.
Thanks guys!;)

Thanks Zigzag, Elmer has already got me to dump Avast so i've had MSE for a few days now. Thats really weird that ASACPI.sys is there as it was renamed ASACPI.BAK days ago AND has a date of 2009!
Also the nvm62x32.sys file doesn't have a 2008 date either. So where are these drivers coming from????
I am looking in my Windows (7) directory then in System32 then finally the Drivers folder. It wouldn't be looking at the Windows XP installation would it?
I'll update the BIOS and see how that goes and those drivers too.
Thanks guys!;)

Sorry there was some confusion about the dates on the crashes. I just went with what I had. If you have been advised by Elmer to do something I would follow his directions as I am just following up on all the threads.

BTW he is good <g>

Code:
Yup! Definite senility. How the hell did I miss those (especially asacpi!)?

Oh, I didn't!! ;)

Last edited:
Ok so far no issue with the Graphics but when I boot up something is making the CPU work real hard, it cycles through different amounts 28% then 56% all the way up to 99 then down to 0 again. Also after booting get this error: Can't Open AsIO.sys!!(2) Thats because we have disabled the driver for it. All this makes it hard to type as it freezes the screen for about 20 seconds or so then unlocks to reveal what you have typed. Tried rebooting but still the same. What now lads?:confused:

Hi,

The AsIO.sys is part of pc probe I believe. Uninstalling it should remove the can't load error. Hopefully it'll also solve the 20 second freeze too. PC Probe with my limited experience with asus boards causes nothing but trouble. Speedfan a free alternative is way less problematic.

nmsuk is right. It is part of the Asus Probe Utility.

You could also type msconfig in your start menu search, then look under the start up tab to check if it is their. Untick it if it is enabled.

Woo Hoo! 800!!

Last edited:
sorry there is no sign of the ASUS Probe Utility anywhere either under Start in MSCONFIG nor in Program files neither is there anything to uninstall in Control Panel (as in Uninstall a Program) . But as you say something is trying to access AsIO.sys as it comes up with the error message when I boot. On this boot nothing seems to be hogging the CPU and its behaving itself. By the way I started Task Manager last time to see if I could see if something that was running was using the CPU but nothing was.
So we seem to have stopped the Graphics issue but something else is going on?

Back