Windows 7 "No Connections Are Available"

Abruptum

Hey guys, I just finished installing Windows 7 Beta Build 7000, and for some reason I can't get any connections. Device Manager says the card is installed and working, but the wireless taskbar icon just says "No connections are available". Troubleshooting does nothing. The card was working fine on Vista before! I installed the same Windows 7 build on my laptop and it works fine! Is there anything I can do?

It's a large field, but for starters, I would suggest you right click the icon and select "Open Network and Saring Centre and choose the option to setup a connection. Let us know what responses you get there.

Okay, I can now see my wireless network, but when I put my key in, it just says "Cannot connect to the network." The key is not incorrect as I changed it recently.

I don't want to mess with my setup, but I am pretty sure if you put the wrong key in it tells you. Have al ook though, in the router and make sure you are using the correct key - these things happen! Try these:
Try switching off the Windows firewall and your anti virus.
Have you tried a cable connection? If that works then the problem is definitely down to the router. (Netgear? sometimes a bitch)
Reenable the router from wep to wap and see if that produces any results.

That leaves me to believe that the key was entered incorrectly. I would check that you have the right key. No security is a no-no

relolve IP

I have the same problem. I have tryed everything, and I found that windows cannot resolve correct IP from router. I have a "Limited connectivity" in network manager icon, or if I try to "repair" conection, there is no conection to network, and i have to restart.

I am also unable to have Windows 7 Build 7000 (32 bit) see my network on a wired connection.

Upon first boot and still, I get "No connections are available." The NIC (Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller) shows as working fine and as a test I installed the most recent vista drivers, but no difference was made.

After resetting the router and modem and switching ethernet cables, from other computers which it was working fine before and after, and restarting, im at a loss. :mad:

this is what im seeing in ipconfig:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Rob-W7
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controlle
r
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-6E-B6-28
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{83D48851-E6BD-48E4-9182-C3CCCE641E08}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Last edited:
go to command prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns
Then type ipconfig /release
Then type ipconfig /renew
Check to see if it works

If that doesnt work go on to next part of post.

rob have you tried to manually configure your ip address by right clicking on the network adapter and going to properties then clicking on IPv4 and going to properties and setting the IP Address?

I was able to flush the dns both now and previously.

when i try to release/renew I get "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected."

Tried setting IP and upon validation of settings its telling me to "Plug an Ethernet cable into this computer"

I just recently got a new inspiron laptop and it hhas been working for weeks but just today the Internet has stopped working an it says no connections are available but every other computer in the house works

Couple things to try,
Open device manager, expand network adapters, select and then right click the problem adapater, choose properties, select the drivers tab at the top, and see if the option to "Roll Back Driver" is available, if it is greyed out then that is not the issue.
Alternately a system restore to yesterday or the day before, may be worth trying.

I tried the first thing u told me and it was greyed in plus it said this device is working properly.. But i dnt know what the second is or how to do it

Read this article from microsoft and see if it helps.
System Restore: frequently asked questions
To invoke the system restore utility,
Right click "Computer" and choose properties
In the left column of the resultant page, select "System Protection"
On the System Properties Dialog Box, under the System Protection tab, click the button that says "System Restore"

alright I just had the same problem. My computer is not detecting any networks. I know its not my router because before this problem my laptop could detect even all my neighbors routers etc. But not it just gives me no connections available. I tried a system restore and reseting my router, running updates for windows, and rebooting my computer. None have worked. My wireless was working perfectly earlier. Im pretty much trying to figure out if my wireless card is just broken or if its a software/driver issue. I havent contacted dell yet but I plan to. Any help or any suggestions on how I can figure out if my wireless card is broken would be a huge deal of help

Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Network -> Change Adapter settings -> Properties on you current working adapter.
Now look for something that doesn't belong there.

had the same problems. Sometime it seem related to some network connection in you network adapter propreties. Mine that caused problems was the network virutal pc (or something like that). I just removed it and reboot. everything worked fine after.

actually I found that if I went to Dells website and reinstalled my wireless card driver it fixed everything up.

FWIW, I found that, in my case, this was due to the wireless being disabled manually. By that I mean, on my Dell laptop if you held down Alt and the F2 key, it toggles the wireless card on and off. The card reported that it was functioning normally from within Windows, and for all intents and purposes looked like it should be working, but it was disabled using a 'hardware' switch.

Back
Top Bottom