Windows 10 No idea what to do

BennyJay

I recently installed some “upgrade and security fixes,” and now nothing is acting right. Minutes prior to the updates I had just installed a new GPU, but had no problems in the time between the GPU instillation and the updates. I tried Google but no one seemed to be having the same problem as me. It’s not the BSOD, but at this point I think I’d rather it be that. Booting up takes longer than usual, and the lock screen has no background, it’s just light blue. After putting my password in, it takes forever to bring me to what would be my desktop. Only now my icons have vanished, there are two black margins on either side, the task bar doesn’t come up, and it takes an extended period of time to perform basic tasks such as pulling up a window after right clicking. I know that everything I once had is still here, if I wait long enough some windows appear telling me to update certain applications. If someone here knows anything that may help me I would very much appreciate it, I also want to apologize in advance because many-possibly most-functions are not working and it will no doubt be a pain in the behind to get this thing running properly again
a70a23ca6adff164f94373382c74d254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried booting into safe mode, sounds like you are getting the login screen, try holding Shift down while clicking on Restart.

Once in safe mode you can try to remove video drivers (or just go to device manager and uninstall the display adapter), then booting as normal.

Both AMD and Nivida have options to reset all driver settings when installing a a display driver, I think you should opt for that once you get back into normal mode.

If all else fails.. use the Shift + Restart method to launch System Restore and restore to a point before the updates that caused the issue.

I’m not the most tech savvy person, so how would one uninstall video drivers without the use of device manager, because holding the windows key and pressing R doesn’t work. Or is there a way to open device manager without using Windows+R?

You don't hold the Windows Key and Press R, you wait for the login screen, and click the Power icon, then hold down shift while choosing the Restart option.

You don't hold the Windows Key and Press R, you wait for the login screen, and click the Power icon, then hold down shift while choosing the Restart option.

I was referring to the device manager portion, starting in safe mode is no problem, I was just wondering if there is a way to open device manager other than Windows+R

I was referring to the device manager portion, starting in safe mode is no problem, I was just wondering if there is a way to open device manager other than Windows+R

I ran in safe mode and can’t pull up device manager, the task bar is completely frozen and the keyboard shortcut is a no go. I ran it in safe mode with command prompt and used devmgmt.msc, nothing appeared to happen and I cannot type into command prompt anymore

Instead of entering safe mode I would suggest System Restore and cross your fingers and toes.

Instead of entering safe mode I would suggest System Restore and cross your fingers and toes.

Oh no...I know for a fact I made a restore point before updating, it’s gone now and I have no idea where it went or how

Well... boot into safe mode backup anything important and nuke and pave.

My Antivirus/Antimalware protection won't even let me visit that site Jafra8 posted, and any advice to use such a program or tool to automatically fix your system is usually bunkware, or a scam entirely.

Back