Windows 7 No Permission: I Am Only Admin

mightymilk

i am constantly getting permission problems with this OS. it's unbelievably annoying, because i'll download a huge file with Firefox, and right as it finishes, it'll tell me i don't have permission on my D drive.

i am the only account on this OS and it is the admin account. for example i'll be downloading a large file in firefox. it finishes the download and then it tells me it can't modify files on that drive, and gives me some permission error.

i've right clicked the D Drive and gone to gone to the Properties and then Security tab... according to that menu i have full control as an admin.

i don't get it...

here's screenshots of one of the errors.... i'll post the one firefox gives me in a couple minutes
Link Removed due to 404 Error
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
To enable full administrative privileges with a normal Windows 7 user account:

Open an administrative command prompt (Right click; Run as Administrator)
Type 'net user administrator activate:yes' and hit Enter.

That should help.

I use:
net user administrator /active

No need for the "yes"

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing it's 0 bytes, it's probably locked by the operating system.

Shut down and restart and try again.

If that's not successfully, download:

This program was actually suggested to me by Microsoft support when I was having troubles installing Vista service pack 1. Be sure to read the readme.txt for a good laugh.

thanks for the suggestions.
i'm gonna try the command prompt commands... see how that works first.

if not, i'll go ahead and try the application.

restarting does usually work, which leads me to believe it might be a deeper problem then just permissions. it seems to happen randomly.

Yes, Kyle is right, because you'll be using another profile and this should allow you to delete the file.

My post was just another option.

I use:
net user administrator /active

No need for the "yes"

Will this mean you will be under the true Administrator account? I heard it was highly not recommended because it renders UAC useless.

I haven't tried this but this is surely a quicker fix than rewriting the permissions manually in the Security tab.

Will this mean you will be under the true Administrator account? I heard it was highly not recommended because it renders UAC useless.

I haven't tried this but this is surely a quicker fix than rewriting the permissions manually in the Security tab.

Kyle is right. Tell me exactly how you are going to turn off the Administrator account? I'll let you figure that one out on your own.. Ok, here's how to disable so it doesn't give you the choice on the boot screen for 2 different accounts...net user administrator activate:no

I've enabled the so called "hidden" administer account on my Windows 7 machine and have not encountered any problems whatsoever.

renders UAC useless....Where did you find this information from? I turned UAC down to Never Notify and am not experiences any problems with that either.

You're in totally different user account,. When first created, it used the Default profile under C:\users\default user and you end up with an interface exactly like the one when you first installed Windows...no modifications whatsoever revert back to this account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyle and davec are right. Tell me exactly how you are going to turn off the Administrator account? I'll let you figure that one out on your own.

I've enabled the so called "hidden" administer account on my Windows 7 machine and have not encountered any problems whatsoever.

renders UAC useless....Where did you find this information from? I turned UAC down to Never Notify and am not experiences any problems with that either.

You're in totally different user account,. When first created, it used the Default profile under C:\users\default user and you end up with an interface exactly like the one when you first installed Windows...no modifications whatsoever revert back to this account.

Thanks, I was particularly confused in this matter and just needed some clarification. If only I found out about this earlier, I would have saved an hour's worth of time!

If you are not familiar with the global account, it is only fair to point out a possible problem ith using it.
Talking about the UAC, is a whole new can of worms, and not appropriate to this thread.
The Global account is the one users have been using for years, prior to Vista, without being aware of it.
The theory is that it makes your OS more vunlerable to outside (Internet) attacks, as you are already at root.
However, to the average hacker of today, this is not a real obstacle. They can overcome a user/administrator account as easy as the global account.
A thing to bear in mind, is that every self respecting (contradiction of terms) hacker in the world, is trying hard to beat Microsoft's boasts concerning their security. When I install for people I help, after a chat, the first thing I do, right or wrong, is disable the Microsoft features and install third party programs. (firewalss; antivirus..etc). I have had negligible attacks over many years.
I have to say here, that I do not wander around "naughty" sites. I have downloaded the odd pirated software program, from curiosity but, as I have a complete suite of all my useable programs, they are often deleted fairly soon.
Certainly, and here comes the can of worms again, a decent antivirus program is worth three times the UAC, and is normally totally unobtrusive, without irritating popups! If you are going, almost as a reflex action today, turm down (or off) the UAC, then you might as well not use it at all.
Having mumbled above, if anyone is still in doubt, then, by all means open the Global Administrator account, do your thing, and log off and close it again with the reverse procedure to that stated above.
Speaking personly, My first action since the early Vista releases, has been to open the Global account, log in and delete the user account. I have not encountered any security problems.

I think it is also appropriate to add that, whilst I am a Microsoft "fanboy", I do not appreciate the morality of Microft's thoughts on this subject, and one or two other "hidden" features. If I pay hard cash for the purchase or lease of a product, whatever its nature, it should come to me unadorned. It is my privilige, not Microsoft's, to decide what features, security or otherwise, I wish to then incorporate.

hi i am having this error myself, but i cant figure out what went wrong in the past few hours.
i did the suggestions people wrote, but it just seemed to make it worse.
i cant even open to view the text in the file anymore.
i changed the entire c drives security on all users to full access. no luck, can someone throw me a bone?
here is a screen grab, and i am running under global admin.

quick specs: amd quad core, 8gig ram, 12gig pagefile, 1gig video ram, 1T(2x 500g) HD's, win7x64(7600build)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
You should try to "take ownership" of the drive.
Download this registry file and follow the other instructions on this page
(download on the page as well)

Quite an old thread, but did you try Davehc's suggestion . Open a command prompt (run as Administartor) and type net user administrator /active You can then, on a reboot, log in as the Administrator. It might still be necessary to take ownership of the individual file. Quite an old thread, but did you try Davehc's suggestion . Open a command prompt (run as Admin) and type net user administrator /active You can then, on a reboot, log in as the Administrator. It might still be necessary to take ownership of the individual file.
The linked file is available in many threads on this site. here is one:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/31490-ownewrship-folders.html#post118881

If you find you cannot use the command prompt method, try these:

Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the "F8" key as you are booting.
Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.
Log into windows 7 with your personal account that holds the administrator access.
Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following net user administrator /active
Log out and log back in as administrator.

Another way
Go to Start
Type Control UserPasswords2.
Click Advanced.
Click Advanced again.
Select Users.
Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabledâ€Â￾
Now log out and login as Administrator.
The action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc.

Quite an old thread, but did you try Davehc's suggestion . Open a command prompt (run as Administartor) and type net user administrator /active You can then, on a reboot, log in as the Administrator. It might still be necessary to take ownership of the individual file. Quite an old thread, but did you try Davehc's suggestion . Open a command prompt (run as Admin) and type net user administrator /active You can then, on a reboot, log in as the Administrator. It might still be necessary to take ownership of the individual file.
The linked file is available in many threads on this site. here is one:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/31490-ownewrship-folders.html#post118881

If you find you cannot use the command prompt method, try these:

Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the \\\"F8\\\" key as you are booting.
Select \\\"Safe Mode with networking\\\" from the boot menu.
Log into windows 7 with your personal account that holds the administrator access.
Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following net user administrator /active
Log out and log back in as administrator.

Another way
Go to Start
Type Control UserPasswords2.
Click Advanced.
Click Advanced again.
Select Users.
Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabledâ€Â￾
Now log out and login as Administrator.
The action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc.

i want to uninstall Norton 360 but window advises another installer is currently running that i cant do uninstall. when i open task manager planning to end any running program, it shows blank meaning there is no program running. so, i go to c:/program file/Norton 360 wanting to delete the program files after using administrator login per earier instruction. but i still get "need permission from administrator" to delete. questions:
1) how to uninstall this program?
2) how to really get administrator authority to delete program files?
pls help.

I have searched the forum, and have not (yet) found my issue discussed. My challenge is...

When I view the user account icons, they display the three "standard user" accounts as well as the three "Administrator" accounts, one of which is the Global Administrator.

When logged in as an administrator (whether my "personal" account or as the Global, and elect to manage the user accounts in control panel, I find that EVERY account has the "standard User" radio button checked. For example...

When logged into an Admin account, and I go to Control Panel to change the account type of my own account, it tells me that this si a Standard User account. If I Select the Administrator radio button, the "Change Account Type" button grays itself out.

Further, I have created yet another account, giving it Administrator priveledges as I set it up. If I then go look at the (new account's) type, ithe Standard User radio button is selected, and I cannot change it to Administrator.

This problem was first noticed when I tried to install iTunes. (I kept getting and Error: 5).

Thanks for any help...

Windows 7 on HP desktopPC

So, even though I AM the administrator, I cannot perform anything requiring administrator priveledged (deleting a file, installing an application, etc.)

Recently my music files won't let me edit them. I can move them, but I can't edit the artist/song info, and I can't upload them to iTunes. If I activate the default administrator account, do I have to move all of my files to that account in order to not have this problem anymore? Sorry if this doesn't make sense..

Back