Windows 7 No Taskbar - need help

DFFord

Honorable Member
I Just installed Windows 7 on a dell XPS 420 over Windows home premium 64 bit.

When I click my user name and password I get a black screen with no taskbaror start menu. It only shows the build version in the lower r/h corner of the screen. I created a new user in safe mode and restarted same problem except screen was powder ble background. How do I get a start menu?
I do get taskbar and start menu in safe mode.

Last edited:
Re:

Hmm...
I think I might have the same problem.
Are The screen todaly black after login, and u only can see: Windows 7 Evaluation copy, Build 7100 in the right corner?
And Are you able to play games by going Via task manager?

Wil be looking for Answares

I am able to launch programs via task manager. I did an uninstall and went back to Vista 64bit

might be worth doing a completely new install, rather than using the upgrade option

format the hard drive, then load the RC1 on to the empty hard drive

might be worth doing a completely new install, rather than using the upgrade option

format the hard drive, then load the RC1 on to the empty hard drive

I agree with you adduncan.

Trying to upgrading Vista to W7 isn't really desirable.

Will re-try`

I am going to try a dual boot install. Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for replies.

Some guys reported that this effect occurs when they have connected their screen twice: Once via VGA and second via HDMI. So Windows think there are two screens and switch to dual display view. And you see only the second screen without the taskbar. Try this:

Win+Shift+left arrow = Move current window to the left monitor (with dual monitors)
Win+Shift+right arrow = Move current window to the right monitor (with dual monitors)
Win+P = External display options

Or disconnect one cable - VGA or HDMI.

Reinstall successful

I was able to do a dual boot install after reinstall of Vista. All is working great.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Back