Windows 7 Poor video quality

Hi guys,
Time flies and still no solution? Hell, ppl upgrading their machines, OSs, LCDs... and other stuff to get worse picture quality than on old xp PC's. My problem is similar to the widespread/unanswered "bug" ppl talking about on forums. I had a mainstream PC and HT 5.1 speaker system with DVD player. It was not fully compatible with latest codecs, supported HDMI but only scaled to 1080i. Once I bought 42inch Samsung LCD I decided to build HTPC, soon to discovere that HTPC is not enough for my gaming needs. So I bought Very quiet PC case with Gigabyte P43 mobo, E5200 DualCore and mid range ATI 3850, bluray drive, and Win7. I got rid of old DVD player, bought Black Hawk Down on Bluray, invited my friends and.... WTF!!! It was more than a year ago, tried almost everything, from changing codecs, drivers, to swapping graphics cards and so on. Most funny thing is that I build PC's for friends and clients, some of them have similar problems, others either can't see it or doesnt bother. I have recently built my second PC for gaming purposes (P55, i5 760, gtx460, 1333 ddr3, win7 x64) combined with 1080p 22" LCD panel. I gave it a try - and?... Once again grainy, blurry picture. Dozens of different PCs, still no single HOW-TO correct the quality of a video playback. So any update?
Thank a lot

I have been having this video quality problem since I bought Windows 7, and I have tried everything without success. I work with video and had to go back to my old machine with XP. Now I am giving it a try again, but after months waiting and I see that things are at the same level.

Now I wonder... Does Microsoft knows about it? Are they doing something about it or are they just giving the finger to us? Because this is too ridiculous to believe if I wasn't experiencing it myself. It looks pretty much like the Creative case, when people are waiting for four years for adequate drivers since Windows Vista, including myself. What the heck is going on with Microsoft? Why are they saying that XP will terminate in 2014 if they cannot even handle the problems left for dead with Vista?

I am pissed, to say the least and I hope someone from Microsoft reads my message, because patience has limits and my money is very well earned to be wasted in a released software that doesn't work properly.

Nobody has a comment to make? How is the video quality so far? I am still using XP, because I couldn't find a way to fix it back then.

Cheers,

Contiusa;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
If you can provide some information regarding your current Win7 Computer. Manufacturer, Model Number, etc., along with your current hardware components (processor, motherboard (chipset), memory, video, audio, etc.) as well as any specifics as to the current driver version and date that you are currently using for your video card, it might help us provide some help. Specifics regarding such hardware is helpful in instances where other members may have had and possibly resolved similar problems with the same or at least similar hardware and may be able to provide information based on their personal experiences.
There is a place within your forum profile where you can add such information if you would like, rather than including it within a post. Your option.
Regards
Randy

Thanks for the reply, Trouble. Here are the specs of my rig (no brand):

Case: Cooler Master Sileo 500
CPU: Phenom II 1090T
CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS9900NT
Mainboard: MSI 890GXM-G65
GPU: Sapphire HD 6870 PCIE
RAM: Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 2x2GB (4GB)
PSU: Corsair HX 650W
Sound card: Creative Audigy SE (I had to uninstall it, because it was crashing the system and not reloading the Windows 7 again. I reinstalled the system several times until I figured it was the sound card – which Microsoft said to be compatible with Windows 7. I didn’t have more problems to boot the system after I uninstalled it.)
Printer: Epson TX220
Keyboard / mouse: Wireless desktop 3000
Microsoft webcam
External HD - Samsung

My last video driver from AMD was probably the Catalyst 11.1, because I bought this rig in late 2010 (when it was the Catalyst 10.12) and I upgraded the drivers. I might have used the 11.2, but I am not sure.

What happens is that I am waiting to hear from someone, because I can’t give another shot to Windows 7 (I tried twice or more). It takes me around three days to switch my OS properly. In my case, as I have two rigs, I need at least a week of work to leave the two machines working fully operational with all the drivers, software’s and upgrades installed; and this in my spare time, because I work every day. So, I need to be installing the OS in one rig and keep doing my job in another rig fully operational. Summarizing, I am only trying it again when I am 99% sure that I am safe, and this means feedback from other people. And I am not even mentioning the problems with sound cards, which no one knows for sure of a sound card fully operational in Windows 7. But this is an issue to another tread, or forum.

So, I was expecting to hear from people the status of the problem, but the forum died with my post and the post of Gulfstream28.

Cheers,

I have been having this video quality problem since I bought Windows 7, and I have tried everything without success. I work with video and had to go back to my old machine with XP. Now I am giving it a try again, but after months waiting and I see that things are at the same level.

I have recently built my second PC for gaming purposes (P55, i5 760, gtx460, 1333 ddr3, win7 x64) combined with 1080p 22" LCD panel. I gave it a try - and?... Once again grainy, blurry picture. Dozens of different PCs, still no single HOW-TO correct the quality of a video playback. So any update?

This sounds like some issue with the monitor, since both ATI 6870 and GTX460 as well as Win7 and XP give you the same grainy blur.

Offhand, I can think of:

1) set the "blurry" monitor as primary
2) try different video players - vlc/home cinema classic/km/etc.
3) try another video port - hdmi/vga/dsub
4) load Cataslyst default settings (Default button)
5) try Catalyst 11.3. Upgrade this way:

- Cotrol Panel > Uninstall all ATI components
- reboot
- run driver sweeper to clear up
Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

- reboot again
- install ATI Radeon

Thanks, Cybercore. I will probably wait a few more months and then give another try to Win7. I'll follow your steps and install the latest Catalyst available.

Cheers,

It's happening to me too. I have a brand new Lenovo Athlon II x4 3.10 GhZ box with 64-bit Win 7. I'm using an nVidea GeForce 9600 GT, with the very latest drivers. It's nothing to do with a particular application, because it happens on streaming video too, regardless of browser.

Back