Windows 7 Poor video quality

I wish it was a codec issue... I tried uninstall / reinstall every possilbe thing.
It doesn't effect anything really...

I would recommend people to try to see video quality of DVDRips, not 1080p movies, as there its very hard to notice the thing I'm talking about. Try to open a DVDRip movie and see if you see anything.

I wish it was a codec issue... I tried uninstall / reinstall every possilbe thing.

I would recommend people to try to see video quality of DVDRips, not 1080p movies, as there its very hard to notice the thing I'm talking about. Try to open a DVDRip movie and see if you see anything.

I think anyone with that problem couldn't really oversee it ... I hope I'm allowed to post this - here's a screenshot how one of my videos look in VLC
Link Removed due to 404 Error
I ripped this from one of my dvds just yesterday to test it, it works fine on my mac. You can even see the sucky quality on the text ("Test.avi") vlc is showing, but also just look at the face of the woman for a second and you'll notice how it's really blurry ... can't really NOT see it in my opinion.

regards

PS: It also looks like this when I watch the movie directly from dvd, just tried!

Last edited:
Its really hard to judge video quality from a screen shot, but yea that does look awful for a DVD-rip. I did this little comparison test on a fairly still image

VLC

PowerDVD

Media Player Classic

By far the best looking is Media Player Classic, and there are great 64 bit versions that work extremely well for everything including 1080P out there, just downloaded it actually a couple hours ago. If you change the video output in VLC settings the video dramatically improves as well. Change the video output in VLC to Windows GDI video output to get pretty much as clear an image as you could ask for.

I think anyone with that problem couldn't really oversee it ... I hope I'm allowed to post this - here's a screenshot how one of my videos look in VLC
I ripped this from one of my dvds just yesterday to test it, it works fine on my mac. You can even see the sucky quality on the text (\"Test.avi\") vlc is showing, but also just look at the face of the woman for a second and you'll notice how it's really blurry ... can't really NOT see it in my opinion.

regards

PS: It also looks like this when I watch the movie directly from dvd, just tried!

Dude! This is EXACTLY the picture I AM getting. The same thing happens to me too.
We have the same issue!

For a quick overall comparison of the different video outputs in VLC, i took these screenshots, again of a static image so there is no ghosting or motionblur to contend with.

VLC with "Default" video output

VLC with "Windows GDI" video output

You can see that the Windows GDI has a much better black, as well as a clearer image overall. Better color representation, etc.

To change your VLC video output settings:

Open VLC
Tools > Preferences
Select Video
Under Output select Windows GDI video output.
Click Save
Close VLC for settings to take effect

By far the best looking is Media Player Classic, and there are great 64 bit versions that work extremely well for everything including 1080P out there, just downloaded it actually a couple hours ago. If you change the video output in VLC settings the video dramatically improves as well. Change the video output in VLC to Windows GDI video output to get pretty much as clear an image as you could ask for.

I did it, and yes, the quality is a BIT better, but still, if I compare it to WinXP, it a LOT worse. I use the same monitor on different computuers, both with the same video card (nvidia 8600gt), and the quality I'm getting in Win7 is just plain bad comparing to WinXP.

I did it, and yes, the quality is a BIT better, but still, if I compare it to WinXP, it a LOT worse. I use the same monitor on different computuers, both with the same video card (nvidia 8600gt), and the quality I'm getting in Win7 is just plain bad comparing to WinXP.

I dont know what to say, with the Windows GDI, everything looks pretty fantastic for me. I ran several files through my xbox 360 and through Windows 7, both using the same monitor, and i cant say i notice much of a difference after tweaking a few things. Can you take a screenshot of each and upload them to compare? Wait for a nice static scene so there is no motionblur.

Last edited:
I dont know what to say, with the Windows GDI, everything looks pretty fantastic for me. I ran several files through my xbox 360 and through Windows 7, both using the same monitor, and i cant say i notice much of a difference after tweaking a few things.

Well I'm not sure it happens to ALL Win7 users... this might happening because of something we just don't know yet what causing it...
But the fact is that the video quality just "sucks" for me... if I compare it to WinXP.

Like I thought, then, it's an issue with the default renderer.. Has anyone submitted this to MS through Feedback, yet?

Like I thought, then, it's an issue with the default renderer.. Has anyone submitted this to MS through Feedback, yet?

Default rendered?
How I change it? to what??

Would appreciate any assistance...

Well now, that depends on what program you're using.. In VLC for instance, you go to Tools>Preferences, then tick "Show Settings - All" down the bottom. Open the Video group, go to Output Modules and change it there. You may have to play around to find the module/renderer that works best.

Well now, that depends on what program you're using.. In VLC for instance, you go to Tools>Preferences, then tick "Show Settings - All" down the bottom. Open the Video group, go to Output Modules and change it there. You may have to play around to find the module/renderer that works best.

Thing is, this is not only for videos I have in my computer. I notice a really poor quality also when watching a video streaming on the web....

I have done that with a ripped DVD, and the video quality in Media Player is fine.

I did, however, help my Media Center TV image.

I got rid of the Falcon II drivers that were included with Windows 7 (32-bit only), and replaced them with the original version from my 3 year old HP machine.

Now if I could only access the codec properties page, so I could set it like I really like it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thing is, this is not only for videos I have in my computer. I notice a really poor quality also when watching a video streaming on the web....

Yeah.. I'm not too sure on that one, I'm sorry.

tried Windows GDI. Things look a little better but still far worse than they looked in vista. Could it be a 64bit problem only? Maybe with the 64bit drivers from ati or something?

I hate this, besides that problem I really love W7 :-(

Dont think so... as I'm using 32-bit... and it seems we have the same issue...
Plus, my video card is NVIDIA, and yours is ATI, so I think it's something in Win7 that causing this... not drivers...

Last edited:
mh ... I got ati, x64 and upgraded ... so exactly the opposite.
but since most people don't have this problem it can't be a general problem in windows 7, so there must be SOMETHING about our systems that causes this ... but it could be almost anything ... I'm really out of ideas on this one. I'm gonna send feedback to microsoft in any case, guess they have a lot better chances finding out the cause. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, post them and I'll try it

Back
Top Bottom