Windows 7 Poor video quality

Hello,

fresh install win7 x86 and latest vlc. nothing else (codecs or players). image is very good with "default" on video output in vlc preferences. with windows gdi I have worse image quality.
video card is nvidia 8600m gs - on my laptop. latest drivers fm nvidia website.

so my experience is opposite to yours....

Are you guys sure that your monitor settings are the same in your previous OS and in Windows 7? Same resolution, refresh rate, etc?

I am wondering if the poor video quality extends to something like quicktime videos or any video that we can all play online and compare the quality, and easily compare the quality with an XP machine. Is there a video online, preferably something of high quality so its easier to notice the differences, where you notice a big difference between XP and Win7? If you find one, please do take a screen shot of it playing to compare, so we can see if we are having the same issues but are not noticing them, or if its an isolated issue.

hi,
could you tell me which ati drivers you use? are you using the windows 7 beta ones?

Because I got an ATI HD 4870 and use the Windows 7 Beta Drivers and I have really poor video quality as well amongst all video players. they are just really blurry if you watch them full screen. I tried installing the "old" vista drivers for ati, but ati installer doesn't finish the installation (it just keeps "gathering system information" forever), don't know why.

everything worked fine using vista and the problem occurs in every video player, so it's either a windows 7 problem or an ati-driver problem. When I switch to OpenGL-video output in vlc media player the video looks fine but lags A LOT on fullscreen

regards

PS: I use the 64bit version of windows 7 which seems to have more issues than the x86 version, maybe this only occurs on x64?

PPS: Can't be a codec problem since vlc ships with all the codecs, it doesn't care at all what codecs you have or havn't installed on your system.

I use the Radeon HD 3870 512MB card in my main compy and I use both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Win 7 beta.. and yes I do use the Windows 7 Beta Driver Package from ATI on both versions and I have no problems at all with my videos.. the clarity is a 10 for sure whether the vid is payed in VLC or WMP.. I use a Samsung T220 22" LCD Display on this comp... I really don't know why you'd be having so much trouble with it...

And just to comment on the 64 bit version of the Beta.. I for one haven't had any issues at all with it in terms of compatibility or drivers.. and I do a wide variety of things on my main comp.. so I think you may have heard a bad rumour about the 64 bit verson... haha ;)

Last edited:
I use the Radeon HD 3870 512MB card in my main compy and I use both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Win 7 beta.. and yes I do use the Windows 7 Beta Driver Package from ATI on both versions and I have no problems at all with my videos.. the clarity is a 10 for sure whether the vid is payed in VLC or WMP.. I use a Samsung T220 22" LCD Display on this comp... I really don't know why you'd be having so much trouble with it...

And just to comment on the 64 bit version of the Beta.. I for one haven't had any issues at all with it in terms of compatibility or drivers.. and I do a wide variety of things on my main comp.. so I think you may have heard a bad rumour about the 64 bit verson... haha ;)

thanks for answering. I use an almost similair setup but my video looks crappy ... strange.
oh and it's not really rumour, I just tried both versions myself and the 32bit version ran better - I'm still sticking with x64, but just saying ...

Have you installed any 3rd party codecs? I recommend the Combined Community Codec Pack ;)
since I use vlc I don't really need to. I just installed ffdshow (latest version) and autoGK which installs some xvid and divx codec (but I think not system-wide).

and because vlc is having problems as well it cannot be related to any codecs or anything, since vlc does not use the systems codecs but its own.

Yeah I just installed VLC, removed my codec pack and everything is playing fine here so it looks like VLC is ok. I'll ask around and see if anyone I know has had similiar problems.

Just to confirm, are you using 32 or 64 bit win 7 and an ati or nvidia gfx card?

Last edited:
I, personally, use 64bit win7 and ati hd4870.
but, as some people mentioned in this thread, they are having the same issue with 32bit windows and nvidia cards, so it doesn't seem to be related ... .

i use the 32bit version, with an ati radeon mobilty X300.
i had a bad video quality with vlc and wmp. in vlc, i changed the renderer to directX GL, and the quality was much better. so i think it is a problem of windows gdi, maybe due to low performance of the system (cpu, gpu...)

i use the 32bit version, with an ati radeon mobilty X300.
i had a bad video quality with vlc and wmp. in vlc, i changed the renderer to directX GL, and the quality was much better. so i think it is a problem of windows gdi, maybe due to low performance of the system (cpu, gpu...)

I think that's another problem, because the people who were having this problem until now were having it with DirectX output as well. but thanks for trying :)

Well, I'm back to Windows XP... only because of this poor video quality...
I must admit that I LOVED Win7. I would probably stayed with Win7 if I didn't have this problem...

Cheers everyone

anyone solved this yet?
I'm working around it by using "Direct X video ouput" in vlc, it switches to windows basic theme as long as vlc is running but since I watch fullscreen videos while vlc is running it's not that big of a deal.
nonetheless, I would love a real solution for this.

I had to do exactly as BlackWolf said. I run it as "Direct X video output" and it is really clean.

Otherwise, no matter the player or quality of video, it looks like crap. I un-installed all codecs and other players aside from VLC (I was using CCCP w/MPC on Vista) until an actual solution comes out.

Currently running HP w2207, Nvidia 8800GT, 7057 x64, all latest drivers across the board, fyi.

As BlackWolf and NYdubber have said, switching to DirectX Video Output worked for me even tho it did switch the theme to basic. Then i installed the Windows VISTA drivers for my nVidia 8600GTS graphics card and viola perfect picture quality in VLC, MPC and WMP. VLC is back to using default as the video output option, and no longer needs to switch the theme to basic to run.

I'm using Windows 7 Beta 7022 32Bit, now with the nVidia 182.50 VISTA drivers for my 8600GTS 256MB.

Screenshot taken from an XviD video fullscreen.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Screenshot taken from an XviD video to show Aero theme still running.

Hope this helps someone out as it seems to have fixed the problem for me.

I have the same problem. Not with WMP where the image quality is fine.But with streaming mpeg-2 and streaming mpeg-4 H264. i have installed streaming codecs cyberlink,elecard,coreavc.
The quality image where is ok is in Overlay mode (and use less CPU ) but when i put wmr9 or wmr7 the image is very bad.
Here is an example.
Mpeg4
Link Removed due to 404 Error-->resized

Link Removed due to 404 Error --->>>the resolution is 1080p and that is why you can`t see the diference ,but the processor is up to 90% usage...and this seems that hardware acceleration doesn`t work.
Does anybody have a solution?

I have the same problem. Not with WMP where the image quality is fine.But with streaming mpeg-2 and streaming mpeg-4 H264. i have installed streaming codecs cyberlink,elecard,coreavc.
The quality image where is ok is in Overlay mode (and use less CPU ) but when i put wmr9 or wmr7 the image is very bad.
Here is an example.
Mpeg4
Link Removed due to 404 Error-->resized

Link Removed due to 404 Error --->>>the resolution is 1080p and that is why you can`t see the diference ,but the processor is up to 90% usage...and this seems that hardware acceleration doesn`t work.
Does anybody have a solution?

Thanks exactly the problem I have...
Where can I submit a bug report to MS about this issue?

Back