Windows 7 Problem configuring HDTV in Win 7

Scottyb

I have been using my HDTV as a secondary display, in Windows XP it worked fine, used a resolution of 1360x768. My problem is the only resolutions available in 7 are 800x600 and 1024x768. Its connected via VGA. I have the lastest drivers for my video card installed. There are not any display drivers from the manufacturer. (Its an Audiovox FPE3207) There are not any firmware updates for the TV either. I have connect other HDTVs though and got other resolutions, so this has to be the monitor driver that Win 7 installs. (I've tried other generic monitor drivers but with no success.)

Anybody have any ideas?

Have you gone to advanced settings and clicked on List ALL MODES? I have a nvidia and it shows that resolution.

I looked there. All the resolutions listed are 4:3 with the highest being 1024x768. If I do this starting with my primary display selected I see resolutions all the way up to 1920x1080. Just so its out there though it wouldn't make a difference I'm using a Viewsonic VX2035wm (20" 16:10 at 1680x1050 native) as my primary monitor.

Maybe it is the VGA connection. Are you able to use a HDMI cable or at least maybe a DVI?

My TV has VGA and HDMI in but my video card only has VGA and DVI out, so I'm stuck with VGA for now. But I'm dual booting 7 and XP and I can reboot into XP and turn on the TV and it works fine.

DVI to HDMI adapter. My card came with one. You won't get sound that way but the video should be the same.

Well, I'm using DVI for my primary monitor. I didn't get one of these adapters with my monitor, have any idea how much they cost? I was kinda hoping to be able to make this work over VGA. There's gotta be a way.

Good quality DVI-VGA converters are available on dealextreme for a good price, I got one from there. Sorry I can't help with getting it to work thru VGA though. I'm having a similar problem, my hdtv always reads the input as "out of range", even if its set to 800x600, and thru the hdmi or dvi-hdmi it wont work at all, but it does on my smaller hdtv that i use as a monitor on my desk. I have 7 64-bit, and it used to work fine in vistax64, I'm wondering if anyone can also help me, thanks

I was wondering if the manual on the TV gave any specs for the resolution on the PC input for that unit?

Try this it worked for me.
Okay so I went into control panal, then "device manager", I clicked on the sound drop down menu and there I saw an hdmi driver installed when according to the installed devices I did not have that installed. so what I did was I uninstalled the driver and files from my computer.
Then I got my computer to scan for hardware changes and viola!! It installed the correct compatibable driver for my television and when I went into sounds in control panel the device was there now. I did the speaker test and sound now comes out of my television. Hope this helps!!

Back