Windows 7 Problem with wireless card

ben

Hi Everyone,

I recently moved back from Ubuntu to Windows because of software I needed for work. Anyway I decided to get 7 as it's the latest & greatest :) anyway it's all been great so far & I'm not missing my old OS one bit.

I do have one major problem though which I'm not sure how to solve... every now and then my wireless connection will just die completely or go incredibly slow. First I had this issue with a cheap TrendNet wifi card I'd bought and as it was also causing problems in Ubuntu I just thought it was the card so I bought a new D-Link card but the problem remains... I have the correct drivers installed as far as I can tell.

In the event viewer these appear when the problem starts:
Code:
Error    05/12/2009 12:00:37    SharedAccess_NAT    31004    None
The DNS proxy agent was unable to allocate 0 bytes of memory. This may indicate that the system is low on virtual memory, or that the memory manager has encountered an internal error.
I also get a few warnings like this:
Code:
Warning    05/12/2009 11:59:04    DNS Client Events    1014    None
Name resolution for the name video.google.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
I've installed Virtualbox as I run a linux server on there and I know that changes some network settings when installing, etc. for the guest to connect but I don't know if this is the cause? Any help would be greatly appreciated at the moment I'm running off the wifi through my iPhone as I'm 2 rooms away from the router so I can't use ethernet. :(

Thanks for your help, if you need any more info let me know.

Sounds more like a problem with your internet connection itself.
I'd suggest you contact your ISP.

This is very strange.
Might be a strange question, but is there anything directly around the computer (say within 25 feet?) that could be causing interference? Also how far from the router is this computer?

No I don't think there's anything that could be causing interference, the only other electrical stuff in the office is a printer and a cheap surround sound system I bought (it picks up my phone calls/texts and crackles & buzzes a lot but I don't know if this could effect wifi?). The sound system's main box is sitting on the computer maybe I should move it from there & see if there's an improvement? I don't think it would be this though as it's been there for ages & I've only had problems since I moved to 7.

The computer is about 30 feet from the router but the network meter I'm using says it's got 70-80% signal & again other wifi stuff works fine from the same room... It's a really weird problem, I don't think the problem is hardware related but maybe there's some settings I need to adjust in 7?

Thanks for all your help so far btw. :)

You may want to try unplugging your surround system for a day or so.
As for settings in Windows 7, there's not much you can change.
Have you tried running off Ethernet?
Try running off ethernet, if the problem stops then at least we know where to start.

I can't run off Ethernet because I'm not near the router. I'll unplug the sound system and see if there's an improvement, I'll come back in a day or two to let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Ok, I know it's only been 15 minutes and not one day lol but I've removed the sound system and even rebooted the computer. I'm connected through the wifi card and it's sort of working, it's slow as hell and every now and then dies so the problem isn't the sound system...

It definitely starts playing up once this message pops up in the Event Viewer:
Code:
The DNS proxy agent was unable to allocate 0 bytes of memory. This may indicate that the system is low on virtual memory, or that the memory manager has encountered an internal error.
I can't see why it can't allocate memory, I have plenty of ram spare & hard drive space, I've also changed the virtual memory up to 9GB because I saw a similar problem elsewhere... :frown:

Back
Top Bottom