Windows 7 Realtek HD Audio Issue

THIS WILL WORK

So I just got a new laptop (Acer Aspire 5534) and there is an issue when using the built in microphone, and I think the issue has to do with the driver (Realtek HD Audio). Under the preferences for the mic, there is an area called "enhancments". Now if the "disable all sound effects" box is not checked, when recording with the mic there is the strangest problem. The recording will sound fine for about a second, but it will suddenly fade into this weird static, chorus like effect that is about half the volume of the recording. Now if I do check the "disable all sound effects" box, the problem goes away. However, then the mic is too quiet to even bother with, probably because that also turns off the mic boost which it apparently needs.

So is there any thing I could be forgetting to look at or something? I've looked everywhere I could think of, but nothing did anything to improve this.

Hmm... Have you got the latest driver or you try re-installing and see if that helps: See screenshot.

I know it's a pain but if it's a brand new machine shouldn't the supplier be sorting this out?

Yeah I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but I emailed them and I'm fully prepared for them to be like "we have no idea, just send it in and we'll replace it without telling you."

Downloading drivers from ACER's site is what I would try first, but make sure you get the right driver for your Realtek model and then uninstall the old driver first, via Control Panel > Uninstall programs, and then reboot before installing the new driver.

Another place to download Realtek drivers:

Realtek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A strange issue, I also use my onboard Realtek sound with Vista drivers installed in compatibility mode. No issues and I have all the "bells and whistles" including mike.

Yeah I have the latest drivers and stuff, that's not even an issue.

So I tried to use the built in mic today and it was working just fine! The problem that which I described had disapeared. Then I wanted to see if my external mic worked, so I plugged it in. It didn't work, and when I unplugged it the internal mic went back to its same problems.

Please, someone please help me. I'm talking to tech support over email, but it doesn't even seem like he understands what my problem is. He wants me to do some system recovery thing, but surely that isn't necessary? It worked fine before I plugged in a mic. That has to mean something.

After messing around with the setting in the Realtek Sound Manager program and the built in Windows thing I was able to get the internal mic working properly. Does this mean there could be a conflict or something? I don't think it's hardware at this point, if I can get it to work fine after some tinkering. Of course though, once I plugged in the external mic everything stopped working again.

Last edited:
When you plug the external one in does the internal mic shut off by default or do you have to do that?

Back