Windows 7 Red X Wireless Not Working

esema

I suddenly lost my Wireless today on my Gateway laptop. I can access the router via ethernet cable and the network works perfectly however I have a Red X on the Internet Access icon on the taskbar and there are no networks detected. Adapter is on via the switch on the keyboard and the LED light is on. Device Manager says Marvell Topdog Adapter is OK.

I searched and tried various fixes but nothing works. Windows 7 Ultimate OS.

Here is the ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Gateway-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell TOPDOG (TM) PCI-Express 802.11n Wireless (EC85)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-44-87-93-27
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-B8-E4-77-DC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{273FD152-2BEB-4EF5-84AC-5FCF59F4AF13}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Brand new to forum...I need help :sad_smile:

It looks like a lot of the info is missing in your attachment. Did you remove that or is it all the comes up with the ipconfig command?

Did anything happen that might have effected your connection?

Have you tried resetting the router and your computer?

That is the full content of my ipconfig. it does seem to be missing a lot of info. Router is working and wireless to another computer on the router is perfect. I tried System Restore with no luck. Disabled ESET and firewall no luck. Uninstalled drivers. Reinstalled and updated them with no luck. It is unable to detect ANY wireless networks. I'm stumped.

It looks like because the wireless adapter is shown, it is enabled.

What type of signal strength are you getting?

Have you checked your settings against what is on the other wireless computer?

With the Media State showing Disconnected that is pretty much all you are going to get in ipconfig /all
It seems that in many instances that Gateway laptops have both a physical switch as well as a combination of the Fn key and F2. Make sure that both the switch is in the On position and that you use the Function Key + F2 to turn it on.
Additionally double check the driver Advanced settings to make sure that there is not a Radio On/Off setting that has been set by default to Off, by a driver update/uninstall/reinstall.
Click the start orb and type
ncpa.cpl
and hit enter
select then right click the problem wireless adapter and choose properties
Click the Configure button
Select the Advanced tab and look for something like attachment

Last edited:
Wireless adapter is enabled. Physical switch is on. F2 lights blue LED. The LED is not as bright as HD blue LED. No networks detected. Red X on taskbar signal strength icon. Troubleshooting indicated wireless is not turned on. Only radio setting on advanced driver tab is "Radio off if disconnected" with value set to "0". Tried resetting value to "1" and it disabled the wireless adapter.

How about the wired adapter can you test just to make sure (confirm) that the issue is not with Windows 7 networking (winsock or TCP/IP Stack).
What router (wireless are you using) have you tested at another location (hotspot, coffee house, McDonalds, friends, relative, neighbors)
Have you tried to boot into safe mode with networking (F8 key as computer is starting up) just to see if the problem persists.
Have you tried completely rebooting the network?
Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

First off...Thanks so much for trying to help. Ethernet cable connected works perfect. Router tests perfect and works wireless to other computers. Wireless does not locate any networks in any location. Swapped with another internal wireless adapter and no networks found. Same result (Red X) in Safe Mode. Changed wireless network channel. I don't know how to completely reboot the network.

It seems I get a red x on my wireless icon for two reasons. If I disable the adapter or if I turn it off using the Fn+F2 keys on my Dell. If you open the network adapter panel (ncpa.cpl) it will show you if the adapter is disabled or turned off.

So, what does your wireless adapter show in the Network Adapter control panel? Are there any messages, like disabled or Not connected?

If you need another way to get to the panel, use the Network and Sharing Center and the Adapters option on the upper left.

This behavior occurs on a system where the wireless works normally. If you adapter is not installed correctly, or missing a driver, or the antenna wire has come loose from the card it may behave differently.

ncpa.cpl indicates "Wireless Network Connection Not connected" with a red X. I'm thinking this could be a bad physical switch or a shorted path on the motherboard. The dim LED wireless indicator could be a symptom.

Is there a way to check the physical switch?

Have you tried changing its position of the switch and turn it to off? Does it make a difference?

I will check for you computer model number (if you have given it) but you do not have a keyboard key sequence to turn the adapter on or off? There are no Broadcast (antenna) type keys on your keyboard?

Is there any chance of physical damage to the switch may have occurred?

Have you tried re-seating the card?

I tried turning the switch on and off - no difference. Gateway m6750 F2 to use keys to turn on and off - no difference. F2 is the broadcast key. There may have been physical damage to the switch (older laptop) but it seems to be solid. I have tried removing the card and reseating it, reconnected the antenna wires and have tried placing it in the adjoining slot with no success. I swapped another card into the slot and the drivers load OK with the new card but I still get the Red X with no networks seen.

I'm thinking it is behaving like the switch is not functional and the wireless is turned off. Is there a way to check the switch?

You sort of lost me with the Adjoining slot reference. I was unable to find your model on the Gateway site, possibly country specific, but the one I did see only seems to have one slot. But since you have the antenna wires, I suppose you must be in the correct place.

If the switch was working and the card was good, it would seem turning it on and off would make a difference. The fact it does not seem to, is troublesome.

If you mean physically checking the switch, I cannot tell from any pictures, but you would have to get to some connection and if you are not experienced, doing that might create more problems.

I don't suppose you have another laptop you could check the card/s in?

If nothing else, you might try moving the switch many times in case it has gotten corroded and will not make contact. You may want to have the system unplugged and the battery removed when you do that.

Attachments

• Wireless card.GIF
    Wireless card.GIF
    20.4 KB · Views: 513
Just another thought. Is it possible you are using some third party software (possibly from Gateway) to manage your wireless connection? You may be able to find it in the services console
Click the Start Orb and type
services.msc
and hit enter
Scroll down to
WLAN AutoConfig (that's the Windows Wireless Network Management Utility)
Check the status. Is it currently running? Is the startup type set to automatic?

Back