Windows 7 Reluctant IPL (boot)

Boppa1

This is a strange issue that is occurring with my IPL (Initial Program Load) procedure. And, I do mean on 'THE INITIAL ATTEMPT'. It occurs on either of the dual-boot choices I make. The scenario is as follows: Hit Start button and watch as the process goes through the initial phases of the load, which goes swiftly by on the screen and I can't quote since I'm not a speed reader. We quickly get to the Windows Boot Manager screen where the 'OS' selection is made. I get a screen indicating that "Starting Windows" appears. Then no further activity - no more flashing LED light - no nothing. After running out of patience, let's give the restart button a quick jab and take it from the top! This time we will proceed as we would expect and will get (in addition to the normal stuff) the screen indicating that Windows did not load previously and make a selection. Of course, I choose 'Start Windows normally'. We will then see our usual IPL stuff with the Win 7 multi-color flag appearing in about 30 seconds total time. All is O.K. after this. The same is true if your choice is to go into the other OS (in my case 'Win XP'. It is rare for the system to go through an IPL in one shot. I believe the problem is not as prevalent if one does a re-boot from the other OS via the "RESTART" option on the LOG-OFF screen. The selection I make on the initial attempt to IPL makes no difference on what happens - the only thing different are the minor things in the two OS IPL procedures that one sees on the screen. This problem has not always been as such but has occurred since I had an issue with my HD and had to re-install the two OSs. Note that I also lost one of my DDR2 sticks due to a bad DIMM slot but other than that the MB, processor, CPU, etc. are the same. THANX!!!!!

Last edited:
While you are in Windows 7, please provide us with a snipping tool picture of the Disk Management setup and use the paperclip from the advanced entries to attach. Also open an Administrative command prompt and type bcdedit and copy and paste the listing.

You might also provide the listing of the boot.ini file and the make sure the boot.ini and ntdetect and ntldr files are in the system partition.

It sounds like the boot loader is not being directed to the correct location for the first boot. There is something else I need to check on the ASUS site about seeing the splash screen twice, if you are seeing that.

While you are in Windows 7, please provide us with a snipping tool picture of the Disk Management setup and use the paperclip from the advanced entries to attach. Also open an Administrative command prompt and type bcdedit and copy and paste the listing.

You might also provide the listing of the boot.ini file and the make sure the boot.ini and ntdetect and ntldr files are in the system partition.

It sounds like the boot loader is not being directed to the correct location for the first boot. There is something else I need to check on the ASUS site about seeing the splash screen twice, if you are seeing that.

Note that I am not into the Win 7 environment at this point. As a general rule, my selection in the Windows Boot Manager screen is to go into 'another Windows OS', which in my case is Win XP. It is out of this selection screen where the hang-up appears to occur. I have also tried checking the "RUN ONCE" item (which is empty) via I believe, 'REGEDIT'. I am not in Win 7 at the present but will try the steps you have suggested and report same. As far a the 'splash screen' you mentioned, I am not totally sure I understand what you define that screen as. Where in the process would I see what you call the 'splash screen'??? Also, this is an MSI X48C Platinum motherboard, capable of either DDR2 or DDR3 sticks, with an INTEL dual-core processor. With a 320GB HD I have plenty of free space. THANX!!!

Last edited:
Sorry if I don't follow all your instructions very well. I am by far not a guru of Win7, WinXP, Win98, PCs, nor other computer operating system. Despite being involved with computers since (before many of you on this forum were born) 1965 with systems that varied from (what one company called their computer - which was not more than a programmable bookkeeping machine), to mid-range IBM systems, up to very large scale digital computers (UNIVAC) at the Bureau of the Census, USA. My experience with Win7 is very limited so I am a bit baffled with trying to utilize this 'SNIPPING TOOL' and the 'PAPERCLIP' which I understand no longer really exists in Win7. The attempt to utilize the 'bcdedit' via the command prompt fails with this "the boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied." This from my command as 'C:\Users\BOPPA>bcdedit'. The only location of the boot.ini, ntdetect and ntldr items are in C:\WINDOWS.OLD\WINOWS\PSS. This WINDOWS.OLD is due, I believe, to my having re-installed the OS. The 'ntdetect & ntldr' items are in D:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. If memory serves me (and at 75 perhaps it doesn't) there is no boot.ini in 'D'. The following was opened via 'Notepad' and is the boot.ini backup in C:\WINDOWS.OLD.
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
Do not know if any of this helps but I can try the other items if I can figure out how to utilize same and attach them here. THANX!!!

BCDEDIT has to be run from an Administrative command prompt. Right click on command prompt and select Run as Admin, or use the Winkey and type cmd then CTRL+SHIFT+Enter. Then type bcdedit and after the entire thing shows in the window, and you may have to expand the window, right click and select mark. After Marking, hit enter and it will be useable to past to the forum, or put it in a text file first. Or use the options described below to copy and image of the window.

The Snipping tool is a Windows 7 accessory, like any other utility. You can use it to select a portion of the screen and capture. You could also just open Disk Management and use ALT+Print Screen, then paste into Paint and edit and save. After that, use the paperclip on the Advanced Reply option in the forum to select the file and upload.

diskmgmt.PNGCapture.PNG
BCDEDIT has to be run from an Administrative command prompt. Right click on command prompt and select Run as Admin, or use the Winkey and type cmd then CTRL+SHIFT+Enter. Then type bcdedit and after the entire thing shows in the window, and you may have to expand the window, right click and select mark. After Marking, hit enter and it will be useable to past to the forum, or put it in a text file first. Or use the options described below to copy and image of the window.

The Snipping tool is a Windows 7 accessory, like any other utility. You can use it to select a portion of the screen and capture. You could also just open Disk Management and use ALT+Print Screen, then paste into Paint and edit and save. After that, use the paperclip on the Advanced Reply option in the forum to select the file and upload.

Well, I have to say, you certainly have an interesting Disk Management presentation...:)

Did you set up all of those partitions? Do you actually use them for separate data?

I do not see the XP boot entry in the attachment. Probably you are getting misfires because the system is having to look for some place to start up or had to reboot to start over to load the other OS. You can use a utility called EasyBCD to set up a dual boot in Windows 7. It will add a "Legacy" entry in your boot list for XP.

Windows 7 is a fairly large OS compared to what you might be used to. I do not know what the minimum partition size recommended for use with Windows 7, but I would guess something larger that 50 GB. 40 GB may work, but it would be close if you install the normal type of software.

Well, I have to say, you certainly have an interesting Disk Management presentation...:)

Did you set up all of those partitions? Do you actually use them for separate data?

I do not see the XP boot entry in the attachment. Probably you are getting misfires because the system is having to look for some place to start up or had to reboot to start over to load the other OS. You can use a utility called EasyBCD to set up a dual boot in Windows 7. It will add a "Legacy" entry in your boot list for XP.

Windows 7 is a fairly large OS compared to what you might be used to. I do not know what the minimum partition size recommended for use with Windows 7, but I would guess something larger that 50 GB. 40 GB may work, but it would be close if you install the normal type of software.

YES, I purposely set up multiple partitions as I saw no need for huge partitions on a 320 GB HD. Being from an old school (back in the WIN98 days) I recall having to defragment and was not looking forward to doing this on big partitions. Yes, I do have data in all of them, although not necessarily at lot. I do not recall seeing any info as to necessary partition size for the Win 7 install and I will admit that my 'C' partition has less than 3 GB available. The 'WINDOWS' folder itself is less than 11 GB. The present Windows Boot Manager lists the two available systems as (and, I hope I'm quoting this correctly): Earlier version of Windows & Windows 7. I recall being able to edit the Boot Manager file in WinXP and naming the alternate OS and I had done that to reflect the Windows 98 SE and Windows XP. Don't know if one can still edit this in Win 7 but it really doesn't matter. Do not dare, at this point to attempt to utilize this EasyBCD you mentioned as I already have a dual boot setup and have no idea what 'can of worms' I might open (but, I may read up on it). This system is home-made by an old codger (namely me) who is still living and learning new tricks and hopefully will continue to do just that (my dad just passed away in November at the ripe old age of 94). Am really hesitant at starting over with this dual-boot install (which might rectify the issue) but it's strange that this problem doesn't pop-up until the selection has been made in the 'boot manager' screen. So, does this mean it is not really an OS issue, but rather something in the 'original initial program load' procedure??? I have done a BIOS flash as suggested by MSI during an earlier MB issue. Thank you for your help and concern (I'm not sure I gave you all the info you asked for!) There is reference in a boot.ini (in the Windows.old) to Windows XP in an earlier response of mine a day or two ago.

To be perfectly honest, your system is one I am not really comfortable trying to change. Since I cannot see exactly where XP boots from, anything I suggest may end up causing more problems than you have now. Take Care..

Back