Windows 7 Remote Desktop Connection Issue

doug2255

I usually work form home and NEED to connect to a server at my work location.

While at work, I sucussfully configured my remote desktop connection to my server. A task I had to verify before I spent the next week at home.

Well, when I got home and tried to connect - it did not work??

I get the following error message:

"Remote Desktop can't find the computer "<name>". This might mean that "<name>" might not belong to the specified network. Verify the computer name and domain you are trying to connect to."

The setting are identical to when I sucussfully connected at work using the remote Desktop connection. I thought it might be due to a firewall issue, so I disabled all firewalls and still have the issue.

I am a contractor (not a direct hire) therefore, I am not able to obtain any support from the "company" plus they also do not support Windows 7 - so any request for help from them will not get too far.

Can anyone help?? I MUST make this work or my days of working remotely are over.

Do you own a time machine or something? Just kidding. I've had problems trying to connect to other non win 7 comps. Sorry can't give any more help :(

Do you own a time machine or something? Just kidding. I've had problems trying to connect to other non win 7 comps. Sorry can't give any more help :(
lol- I am trying to connect a Win 7, on a new install on anew laptop, to the 2003 server at work.

Like I said, it connected "remotely" while I was work. When I got home it would not connect.

The settings appear to be identical to my "old" laptop (Win XP). Why it worked from work and not from home is confusing. at work, I disconnected from the network, even removed the network cable, then connected to their network using ATT network client, as I do from home.

It could work ok at work because you were on the work network!
It could be the permissions on the work server wont let you through because it dosen't recognise your pc (Just a guess).

Basher

I haven't had an compatibilty issues, so maybe that's why I haven't run XP mode. The only issue was a couple of programs not running in a x64 enviro, so I assume I could install XP 32 mode, but wouldn't have access to my sata card, so wouldn't really help.

Question though (so I don't start a new thread). Can I remote in to an XP machine from my Win 7? I used to use MSN messenger to remote in, but new MSN doesn't have the option, but my mom still tries to connect and it just hangs on her end. I guess I'll try VPN or something... Any ideas?

It depends on your processor etc - XP Mode starts as a virtual pc and now has access to your usb and other attached devices. :)

MSN still has "Request Remote Assistance" and it works fine from Windows 7 to XP.

Basher

lol- I am trying to connect a Win 7, on a new install on anew laptop, to the 2003 server at work.

Like I said, it connected "remotely" while I was work. When I got home it would not connect.

The settings appear to be identical to my "old" laptop (Win XP). Why it worked from work and not from home is confusing. at work, I disconnected from the network, even removed the network cable, then connected to their network using ATT network client, as I do from home.

I run into this with remote users. If your home router is set to the same ip standard as your work network, then it will not allow you to connect. I recommend changing it. ie: 192.168.0.1 change to 192.168.1.1
Another possibility is that your home ip is not white listed in your works firewall. Check with your network admin.

Back