Windows 7 [RESOLVED] Homegroup not working correctly

dave7182

This is a wired connection issue.
My ISP is Northland Cable of New Caney, TX
My broadband connection type is cable.
My Modem/Router Combo is ARRIS TG862.
My firewall is Windows Firewall, antivirus is iolo System Mechanic Pro Version 12.
My Homegroup comprises three computers, named CPU4, CPU7, and CPU8.
All are running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.
CPU4 is 32-bit, the others are 64-bit.
All computers access internet with no problem, and have the latest Windows updates installed.
The problem is that, while CPU4 and CPU8 can both see the other computers, CPU7 can only see CPU4 in the Homegroup folder.
Each computer can see itself and the other two in the Network folder.
CPU4 and CPU8 can freely access shared files on the other two computers.
CPU7 can freely access shared files on CPU4.
When CPU7 tries to access CPU8, it is prompted for a Network Password.
As far as I know, there is no Network Password, or if there is, I do not know what it is or where to discover it.
I uninstalled antivirus software from CPU7 & CPU8, but that made no difference.
Please advise me what else I should look at.

For each library on CPU8, I clicked the option to Share with Homegroup (Read/Write); however, I see no visible confirmation that this option was actually effected.

I'm not sure about this because I only have two PCs in my homegroup, but check if there's only one PC acting as a "host" meaning only one homegroup password is used to connect all PCs to the homegroup.

According to Control Panel, every computer has the same Homegroup password.
I do not see any way to tell which computer is considered to be the Host.

According to Control Panel, every computer has the same Homegroup password.
I do not see any way to tell which computer is considered to be the Host.

You can assign any computer as a host by connecting the 2 other PCs to it. Like, say connecting both CPUs 4 & 7 to CPU 8 using CPU 8's homegroup password only.

I do not understand what you would advise me to change.
Each computer is attached via cable to the same modem/router.
Each computer has the same Homegroup password.

My point is this, say CPU8 is the homegroup creator (and there should only be one "creator"), then CPU4 and CPU7 should both join to CPU 8's homegroup.
Is it possible that You joined CPU4 to CPU8, and you joined CPU7 to CPU4 instead of CPU8?
It doesn't matter if they are connected wireless or wired. It's how you connect the PCs together on a network.
If you think that the PCs are connected to the network properly, have a look at the limitations of your OS version (Home Premium right?). Maybe for Pro or Ultimate it won't be a problem. I don't know because we have the same version.

CPU7 was the Homegroup creator, although I see no way to document that fact, nor do I understand why that should matter.
There is only one Homegroup (as far as I can tell), and CPU4 and CPU8 both joined it after it was created by CPU7.
All computers are running the same OS version, except that CPU4 is 32-bit.
I know of no limitation in Windows 7 Home Premium that would explain this bizarre behavior.

You might try running the homegroup troubleshooter on the 3 systems. Maybe it would show a problem on one.

I assume they are all in the same workgroup..just in case.

I ran the Homegroup troubleshooter on all three computers.
In each case it reported that a problem was found that could not be fixed automatically.
It did not say what the problem was.
It advised me to remove then recreate the Homegroup, which I did.
This did not resolve the problem of some computers being unable to access shared libraries on other computers.
Given that I have discovered no utility in either Libraries or Homegroups, I would prefer to dispense with them entirely.
All computers are members of the same Workgroup.
The current status is that all computers can access shared folders on CPU4 and CPU8; however, neither CPU4 nor CPU8 can access any shared folder on CPU7.
In each case, I receive the following message:
"Windows cannot access \\CPU7. You do not have permission to access \\CPU7. Contact your network administrator to request access."
Can you explain what is going on?

The message appears to be more of a networking message than Homegroup.

When you broke down the Homegroup, you left the Homegroup on each computer. Then you set up the homegroup on which computer? After that, you joined the inplace homegroup from the other systems. They all took the password and no messages as they did so?

Do you have the Advanced Sharing set to allow Windows to manage the Homegroup? Maybe some service is not running on one system, I will have to investigate...

EDIT: I forgot to ask if you did check to make sure they were all using the same private network? If they weren't, they probably could not see each other at all, but just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:
I recreated the Homegroup on CPU7, exactly as I did in the first place, then joined each computer to the Homegroup thereafter. There were no error messages or other indication that it did not work. Unfortunately, it did not work in practice, as I have described previously.
Yes, Advanced sharing was set to the default option, allowing Windows to manage the Homegroup.
Yes, all computers are using the one and only private network that exists in my system, and all are members of the one and only Workgroup..

The last thing I could even suggest is to check the systems for two services. The Homegroup Provider and Homegroup Listener. They may not be actually running, but you should be able to start them.

My Listener is not running right now, but I have no Homegroups set up. I will do that in about an hour on 5 systems, but I can start it.

I have confirmed that Homegroup Listener and Homegroup Provider services are running on all computers.
However, I would prefer to dispense with Homegroups and try to access shared folders via the Network item in Windows Explorer.
Unfortunately, I have been advised to contact my network administrator (myself) to achieve access. I did contact myself, but have received no helpful response.

you won't like this suggestion; but I suggest re-installing windows on all 3 PCs and try Saltgrass's suggestion of creating your Homegroups from there.

If that still doesn't work, you might consider building a network server on one of the 3 PCs with say Windows 2008 server, creating a Domain, and then turn off Homegroups entirely on the 2 other PCs and join each of them to the newly created Domain in the Win2008 server. Homegroups in my opinion really doesn't do the job for networking it should. I have installed it in multiple Client sites including here at my Home network. Uggggh! Domain networking has been proven in corporate networks with upwards of 100,000 connected computers and works reliably. Even Microsoft uses that internally. The only downside is you have to do Administration of your server from time to time to keep it up and running. But, that WILL definitely solve your problem!

BIGBEARJEDI

you won't like this suggestion...BIGBEARJEDI
You're absolutely right; in fact, I don't like either of your suggestions. :) Thanks, anyway.
My need for networking is not that urgent, and the COST/BENEFIT ratio of both of your ideas is too high.
All of my computers are able to print to the network printer, a Brother Laser, and I have my trusty WD MyBook (USB hard drive) if I need to move files from one computer to another the old-fashioned way. Brother and Western Digital, unlike Microsoft, make products that work right out of the box with no muss and no fuss.

If all the CPUs are part of a Workgroup, why do you even need the Homegroup?

I don't use a Homegroup at all as I can't see any advantage to it. I have all of my computers setup in a Workgroup with whatever folders I wish to share across the network setup as shares. I am able to copy files back and forth as well as share printers and media.

Back