Windows 10 Roll back to Windows 7 from 10

Pawl

I have a problem in that Windows 10 is not working for me, and I am trying to roll back to Windows 7. One of the difficulties is a non functioning Start Menu. So how to I get to Settings and then Update and Security etc to begin the roll back process to Windows 7?

If you really need to go back now and not try to get it worked out, check the Settings, Update, Recovery section. It should have the option to restore Windows 7.

If you right click on the Start Button do you get the context menu? If so, go to control panel and choose recovery. The Reset option should put you on that same page.

If you get a chance, you might try switching to tablet mode. I have never done that so that option may also not be available.

You can also try ending the Cortana process in Task Manger and then quickly see if the Start Button will react.

No context menu. The start menu button doesn't respond at all.
How do I get the control panel up?

Try Winkey+R and type control.exe and run that.

Or Winkey+X for a menu.

If certain things work and some do not, it might give some insight into your problem.

I have an HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, with installed memory of 6.00 GB, 64 bit OS, Computer Name: FREEMAN HP, Workbook, Windows is activated and Product ID is 00359-OEM-8992697-00010.

I recently tried to upgrade to Window 10 but just could not deal with it so I rolled back to Windows 7.

Unfortunately this corrupted my Windows Live Mail 2011 and I got a message of "Recovering Windows Live Mail database" when I tried to open my email. It apparently did not recover it or recover it correctly. How can I get my mail working correctly again? I am not technically inclined so would need specific directions as to show to do this. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS ISSUE?
I am frantic about it!!

Thank you so much to anyone who will help me.

Tiny Trish

You may want to start a new thread and choose whether you need a Windows 10 or Windows 7 forum. Sorry, but I have no experience with rebuilding a Live Mail database.

I have an HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, with installed memory of 6.00 GB, 64 bit OS, Computer Name: FREEMAN HP, Workbook, Windows is activated and Product ID is 00359-OEM-8992697-00010.

I recently tried to upgrade to Window 10 but just could not deal with it so I rolled back to Windows 7.

Unfortunately this corrupted my Windows Live Mail 2011 and I got a message of "Recovering Windows Live Mail database" when I tried to open my email. It apparently did not recover it or recover it correctly. How can I get my mail working correctly again? I am not technically inclined so would need specific directions as to show to do this. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS ISSUE?
I am frantic about it!!

Thank you so much to anyone who will help me.

Tiny Trish

First question is where is your postbox 'housed'.
Have you
- one of the Microsoft email addresses like Hotmail, live or outlook
- perhaps a Google gmail postbox
- or a postbox from your internet provider.

They all have Webmail, a way to look into your mail by opening the internet explorer, than go to some host, type in your account data and proceed to your mail.

If you can do this you are save, then you are able to rebuild your live email on your PC.

Could you check this out first?

Last edited:
Have you

They all have Webmail, a way to look into your mail by opening the internet explorer, than go to some host, type in your account data and proceed to your mail.

If you can do this you are save, then you are able to rebuild your live email on your PC.

Have you

And could you open your email by opening the webpage of Cox and signing in there?

Yes, I can.

If you see all your email on the webpage then I think you should be able recreate your livemail.
- remove the account from the livemail client: right click in the left column on the account name and select remove
- and add it again in the livemail client
- all your mail should then be downloaded again from Cox

I really hopes this will solve it, keep my fingers crossed :pray:
Henk

If you see all your email on the webpage then I think you should be able recreate your livemail.
- remove the account from the livemail client: right click in the left column on the account name and select remove
- and add it again in the livemail client
- all your mail should then be downloaded again from Cox

I really hopes this will solve it, keep my fingers crossed :pray:
Henk

Henk,
Your references to the livemail client are confusing to me. Where do I go to get to the livemail client? Please be specific as I am not technically inclined.

I think they mean the Mail app in windows 10. Remove the account from it. Then re add it and let it sync all your mail. Should rebuild the corrupted mail box in windows.

Yes, sorry to be confusing.

With the livemail client I mean the program "Windows Live Mail", just to distinguish it from a MS Live Mail account like I am using. And that is not the new Windows 10 mail app, but the program you used in Windows 7 and in Windows 8.1 and continued to use now in Windows 10.

Please feel free to ask more,
Henk

Last edited:
Yes, sorry to be confusing.

With the livemail client I mean the program "Windows Live Mail", just to distinguish it from a MS Live Mail account like I am using. And that is not the new Windows 10 mail app, but the program you used in Windows 7 and in Windows 8.1 and continued to use now in Windows 10.

Please feel free to ask more,
Henk

Back