bdee1

I am trying to install windows t RC on my HTPC. I already installed it on my office computer and it all went smooth. but when i tried to install it on my HTPC in the living room i am havign problems. it always gets to the "expanding files" portion and at some point during this process the screen just goes black and never comes back up. i even let it sit overnight and still it never came back up - it just seems to hang.

also i could not get my HTPC to boot from the dvd. i even re-burned it from the iso on my office computer. so i ended up connecting an external USB DVD drive and now it boots from the disc every time but won't get past the "expanding files" stage.

i had no problems when i installed the win7 Beta on the htpc. any suggestions???

BTW: i am doing a clean install of the 32 bit version.

Last edited:
Have you tried installing from a USB flash drive rather than a DVD? It might not make a difference but it might make all the difference in the world..

Do you have any external devices plugged in? (Such as: USB Drives, Webcams, Microphone, etc). If so, I'd recommend unplugging them before you start the installation..

Please try Radenight's suggestion first, it that doesn't work..........

Not to brush you off, but this seems to be a common problem.

I suggest you look over the threads at the bottom of this page relating to your problem.