Windows 7 Second HDD Issue

AKM87

Hello,

I have just purchased a new 3XS system from SCAN computers (Vengence). The system has a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. The SSD is used for the OS and programs and the HDD is supposed to be data. The SSD seems to be working fine and Windows 7 agrees. The same can be said for the HDD, however when opening the HDD folder in Explorer and clicking properties, the system reports that there is only 300MB or so on the drive.

I have enabled, intialised and assigned a letter to the drive myself, after it was not detected by the OS. I did so in device manager/disk drives by right clicking the drive. When in Properties/Volumes and populating the data, the HDD is recognised as 1TB. It just seems to be the (E:) folder in Explorer that the device is shown as 300MB. I have tried to drag and drop a 15GB program folder into the Device folder, but it informs me that there is not enough space on the disk to do so.

All drivers are up to date.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you. :)

Ok, here's a picture of the Drives, not too sure of what's going on here >.<

Thanks again

Attachments

• Drives.png
    Drives.png
    419.5 KB · Views: 466
The 1GB partition isn't actually partitioned yet. You can partition and format from the right click menu. Did scan send the machine out like that?

Last edited:
They most certainly did send it out like it! I've already had to send it back once! I'm also having freezing issues, although I suspect firefox may be the culprit, as I've experienced the same thing before.

I've turned the remaining 931 or so GBs into a 3rd partition... seems kind of messy though... is there a better option?

Thanks for getting back to me :)

Well if it was me, I'd repartition and start again with a reinstall, could even solve your freezing problem with FF. I'd always thought scan were a decent company. Sending a machine out with a HDD unpartitioned is unforgivable. Just a thought delete the E: Part and then right click on the c: part and resize it to fill the ssd.

Please do not delete nor otherwise mess with the E partition on Disk 0 as it is plainly marked in the disk management utility as "System" and "Active" and doing so will in all probability hose your install, and will propably require some serious repair efforts that may or may not be successful.
It would seem that your OP indicates an issue with the 1TB drive, Disk 1 (931.51 GB available), which it sounds like you have already managed to format and should be showing up now as useable space both in Disk Management as well as Explorer (with the next available drive letter.

D*mn I missed that. Really wouldn't expect that layout. Definitely do not remove that partition.

Good call Trouble, however, he would not be able to delete that E: partition even if he tried, Windows or any 3rd party partitioning tool would not let him delete it as it is a "System" drive/partition, as you caught. Link Removed - Invalid URL
It does seem very strange that they would put a "System Reserve" partition after the OS and to leave 11Gb's at the end of the drive and a 1Tb drive unallocated. Link Removed - Invalid URL

If it were me, I'd take it back and have them do it right or they can keep it. Link Removed - Invalid URL

Good call Trouble, however, he would not be able to delete that E: partition even if he tried, Windows or any 3rd party partitioning tool would not let him delete it as it is a "System" drive/partition, as you caught. Link Removed - Invalid URL
It does seem very strange that they would put a "System Reserve" partition after the OS and to leave 11Gb's at the end of the drive and a 1Tb drive unallocated. Link Removed - Invalid URL

If it were me, I'd take it back and have them do it right or they can keep it. Link Removed - Invalid URL
OK, if you say so, but I can pretty much guarantee, that if I boot to my Acronis Disk Director Suite CD, I can pretty much do anything I want to do with my HDs and partitions, not even sure that I would get a warning. And the 11 GBs at the end of Disk 0 is actually only 11 MBs, according to what I'm seeing.
But I do agree about having it done correctly, it would at least look a little neater.

I guess Acronis Disk Director Suite CD will let you do that, so, I stand partially corrected. The Gb thing was a typo, thanks for bringing that to my attention. Link Removed - Invalid URL

I use EASUS Partition Master Professional and it will not let you delete a "System/Boot" partition, you can move/resize it, but the option to delete is greyed out as with Windows Disk Management.
I have also used Acronis and Seatools and they too would not let me delete a system/boot partition.

I'll have to look in to Acronis Disk Director Suite, thanks for mentioning it, learn something new everyday.

Don

How about using windows backup to image the windows partition to the 1TB drive. Then create a windows rescue cd\dvd. Use a gparted live cd to repartition the ssd the way you want it. Then use the restore disk to put windows back to the drive.

Back