Windows 10 setting up new pc - can't connect to network

JudyS

I took it out of the box this morning -- Lenovo Desktop 510S with Win10. My first new PC since Win7!

I have received 3 different messages while trying to connect to my home network: First, I got this message: IRQL_UNEXPECTED_VALUE. I rebooted and this time I got the message WINDOWS 10 CANNOT CONNECT TO THIS NETWORK. I rebooted the router and now my PC cannot see my wireless network.

I'm feeling pretty stuck. Any help appreciated.

Hi,
the IRQL_UNEXPECTED_VALUE. message is actually a blue screen. If you check the sticky here: How to ask for help with a BSOD problem
The sticky advises on how to post dump files.

I also checked you system support page : desktops and all in ones :: 500 series :: 510s 08ish Lenovo PC Support

You do have an update for the wireless Network driver which is marked as urgent:

Networking: Wireless LAN
Intel 3165 & 8260 WIFI driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Desktop Urgent.

Before applying the above driver make sure the old one is uninstalled first

This might be of some use: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17137/windows-setting-up-wireless-network

Post back if you have any issues or more blue screens. Please include the dump files

Hi Kemical,

Thanks for that information. I haven't had a BSOD for 15 years--guess I've been lucky.

Just to be sure I understand, when you say uninstall the old driver, are you referring to the Wireless Network Adapter or something else?

Just to be sure I understand, when you say uninstall the old driver, are you referring to the Wireless Network Adapter
Yes but do make sure you download the update first

I followed all the steps. Using my roommate's PC, I downloaded the driver file onto a flash drive, then I uninstalled the current driver (Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter), and installed the new driver file (Intel WIFI driver for Windows 10).

I rebooted and the old Qualcomm driver was still installed. I attempted to force the new driver by clicking Update Driver and pointing to the new file, but I got the message that Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date -- Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter.

I followed all the steps. Using my roommate's PC, I downloaded the driver file onto a flash drive, then I uninstalled the current driver (Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter), and installed the new driver file (Intel WIFI driver for Windows 10).

I rebooted and the old Qualcomm driver was still installed. I attempted to force the new driver by clicking Update Driver and pointing to the new file, but I got the message that Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date -- Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter.

Sorry JudyS I asked you to install the incorrect driver. I didn't see the Qualcom Atheros drivers just the Intel.

So the actual update for your Qualcomm Atheros is here:

Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Desktop

Apologies once again.

Last edited:
No need to apologize, I'm just grateful for the help.

Unfortunately, I still get the same answer ... that Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date -- Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter, and I still have no network connection.

It's odd, because I *did* have one the very first time I tried to connect, and then I got the BSOD.

Hmm... I have a suggestion, as the system is brand new try a reset back to factory defaults. This guide or the manual that came with the system will tell you how:
How to reset Windows 10 to factory settings

If you do decide on a reset then once your back in windows try connecting to the net using a wired connection. If successful run Windows update as it may download a driver specifically for your machine.

It's pretty late here in the UK so I will check back after a few hours of sleep.. :)

Hi Judy,
If you get no results using kemical's very good suggestions here. There are some things you can do if you can't get your new computer to work on your wireless network.
First, try returning your PC back to your place of purchase, if it's a retail store such as Best Buy, or Frys, or Staples. They may be able to help you as they all have Tech repair departments. Ordinarily, computer retailers such as Costco and Walmart will simply refer you to the manufacturer (Lenovo) as they don't typically have repair departments with Techs on hand.

Since your computer is brand new, usually the only way a retailer will fix it for you, is if you bought some kind of Protection Plan (e.g.: Extended Warranty) from the store you purchased your PC from; usually 2-3 yrs. or longer. If you did not, most likely they will blow you off and tell you to call Lenovo (the manufacturer). If you didn't buy an Protection Plan, you will have to call Lenovo, and go through a lengthy phone troubleshooting session where the Tech will try to fix it remotely for you. If he cannot connect to the Wi-Fi or via a Cable (Ethernet) he will most likely ask you to box it up and send it back to the factory. This will cost you $60 for shipping and insurance, and you should make certain that you insure the PC for the FULL PURCHASE VALUE YOU PAID FOR THE COMPUTER!! If you don't and the carrier you use to ship loses or damages it, you'll be responsible for that repair or replace cost. Good news here is that when Lenovo finishes the repair they will ship back to you on their dime. So, you only have to pay 1-time shipping.

Of course, if you did NOT buy your PC in a retail store (brick & mortar), then you have to deal with an online store or buyer such as Amazon or eBay. You'll need to contact the seller, and go through a return procedure, which is usually not too bad. Depending on the store policies of the online seller, don't expect to get a new PC, but rather they will most likely repair your broken PC, and if it's beyond repair they will replace with a similar or identical item (PC), but, often if they must replace, they will send you back a REFURBISHED model either the same as you had or similar specs. So, don't be surprised if this happens! The last thing the manufacturer wants to do is to replace your PC with a brand new one, as they will lose money that way.:cash:

Another thing you can try, is to take your PC over to your friend's house where you borrowed their computer to download the wireless driver, and ask them if they wouldn't mind trying to connect your PC to their wireless network if they have one. If it works, then you know the PC is actually Ok, but you have a problem with YOUR network, such as a failed Router or Modem/Router. You can try resetting the Router, which you can obtain instructions from using your friend's computer via their support website; such as Cisco/Linksys or Netgear. If this still doesn't fix it, you'll need to hire a good Tech who has home networking skills to come out to your home and fix the problem with your home network. Often, it's a simple router replacement.

Let us know how it goes.
Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

First of all, many sincere thanks for both your suggestions. It is very generous of you to spend time trying to help strangers.

Also, it should be noted that it was my roommate's PC that I used to make contact here and to download suggested fixes, so I know my wireless network is functioning properly (I can also connect to that network with my old laptop, Galaxy phone, Kindle, Wii, etc.)

The fact that I keep getting different messages (BSOD, Cannot Connect to this Network, and finally showing there is no wireless network) convinces me that there is an actual problem with this hardware.

Again, while I certainly appreciate all the assistance here, I'm returning the unit to Best Buy this morning.

while I certainly appreciate all the assistance here, I'm returning the unit to Best Buy this morning.

Judy I couldn't agree more. You don't want to be dealing with blue screens and the like especially when the technology is brand new.

Best of luck with the return and if we can help please just ask.

If you can't connect your network, try the methods below
  • Update network adapter driver
  • Reset TCP/IP
  • Disable Proxy Settings
With error IRQL_UNEXPECTED_VALUE

1. Perform Automatic Repair
2. Run System File Checker scan
3. Try updating all the drivers from the computer manufacturer's website

If you can't connect your network, try the methods below
  • Update network adapter driver
  • Reset TCP/IP
  • Disable Proxy Settings
With error IRQL_UNEXPECTED_VALUE

1. Perform Automatic Repair
2. Run System File Checker scan
3. Try updating all the drivers from the computer manufacturer's website

I think she has returned said machine to either get it fixed or for a replacement.

You said it, Ross! We just have to wait for OP to get results back from Best Buy after returning the unit. From her description of other mobile devices operating correctly on her home Wi-Fi network, it appears to be the new PC.

Cheers!
BBJ

Back