Windows 8 somehow I have lost the ability to not use my microsoft account password to get access

charliko

Extraordinary Member
to my home computer. How can I get this back to my old password not connected to Microsoft account?

You will have to switch to a Local Account.

Press the Windows Logo key+I, click or tap Change PC settings (at the bottom) > Accounts (in the left pane) > Switch to a local account and follow the wizard, which will allow you to log in as you did with previous versions of Windows.

Last edited:

Press the Windows Logo key+I, click or tap Change PC settings (at the bottom) > Users (in the left pane) > Switch to a local account and follow the wizard, which will allow you to log in as you did with previous versions of Windows.

Unfortunately, I do not see any Users option in the left pane after doing the initial step. I wonder if this is something about Windows 8.1 that I recently updated from win 8.

Hi

I read your question wrong completely.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows-8/disable-remove-password

See if this helps, my interface doesn't look exactly like the one here.

Did you lose your ability to log in without a password when ]you updated to 8.1?

That happened to me, I think it dumps your old account information.
I switched back to Windows 8 because of issues I couldn't resolve so I never changed it there.

Mike

PS Another thing that drives me crazy about Windows 8, it you search for Change Sign In Options, you get nothing, you have to search for "sign" to get to the correct place.

Last edited:

Press the Windows Logo key+I, click or tap Change PC settings (at the bottom) > Accounts (in the left pane) > Switch to a local account and follow the wizard, which will allow you to log in as you did with previous versions of Windows.

I am not seeing the Users option after selecting Accounts. Perhaps the latest 8.1 does not allow one to use a password as in the past.

Back
Top Bottom