Windows 7 Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

quadcake

Hi guys. I need help.

I upgraded my Windows XP to windows 7 and now my video driver is screwed up.
It was a nVidia driver, I believe. I used to play games on my computer, but now I can't since my video driver is messed up. Also, my aero is disabled.

I remember it being a GeForce4 MX 420 (or 440) with AGP8X.
That is a windows xp driver, and I cannot download it since it's not compatible with my hardware. I tried scanning for drivers that can match up with my computer, but it's not compatible with the hardware either.

Thanks.

Hi Quadcake,
try these vista drivers: ForceWare 97.46 Windows Vista (x86) download from Guru3D.com

Any problems try compatibility mode.

Thanks, but there's a problem, when i download it and change it to my graphics card, there would be a caution sign and I thought it was outdated so I updated it and now it's back to the previous one. I know I can reinstall it again, but how do I prevent that from happening?

P.S I used the have disk method.

Last edited:
Thanks, but there's a problem, when i download it and change it to my graphics card, there would be a caution sign and I thought it was outdated so I updated it and now it's back to the previous one. I know I can reinstall it again, but how do I prevent that from happening?

P.S I used the have disk method.

Do you mean your Windows update app auto updates to the previous driver? If this is the case then change your update settings to 'Check for updates but let me choose to download and install them.' It's then simply a case of rightclicking on the update and hiding it.

If the above is not relevant then please give more information on the sign your seeing.

Untitled.png

Caution sign right here. I did the windows update thing, and it still doesn't work.

Rather than install by the 'Have disk' method have you tried to install the vista drivers as usual? Like I wrote before you can always try compatibility mode..

Rather than install by the 'Have disk' method have you tried to install the vista drivers as usual? Like I wrote before you can always try compatibility mode..

I have no idea how to do compatibility mode. I googled it up but it's confusing, because there is no compatibility tab. Sorry if I'm asking too much.

Quadcake please don't apologise, that's why we are here.. :)

Ok, compatibility mode... As you know, to get your install started with the vista graphics driver there is a certain icon that you left click and the installation starts. Instead of left clicking on the icon please right click and choose 'properties'. Look across the top and you should see the compatibility tab, click that and you'll then see where you can change settings to allow the app to run as if it was running under something like xp..

To show as an example I took a screenshot of me applying the same type of settings to a ATI driver and the process is exactly the same for you too.

Any problems please post back. Oh, Good luck! :)

Okay, I did that. What do I do now? It still has the caution sign.

Do I reinstall it using the have disk method?

I'm still wondering why your seeing the little triangle. Can you open 'Run' and type 'Dxdiag' (without the quotes) then save the information? I did a screen shot showing you where to click for the info. If you could then zip this report and include it in your next post I'll be very grateful.

Last edited:
Okay, I did the info thing. I didn't know what you meant by zipping it so I made a download. Here:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thankyou. Your card is still not being seen properly so can you un-install the graphics driver and then run this app:

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (Setup) download from Guru3D.com

Once all nvidia driver remnants have been removed then re-install using the driver I found for you earlier. Please make sure your anti virus is turned off when re-installing.

I tried it. It's not working. I am certainly positive I am doing something wrong.
Either I am uninstalling/reinstalling it wrong or the program error: when it reboots, it gives me an error that it stopped working so I don't think the sweeper fully didn't clean it yet.

From your DxDiag.txt:

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name:
Manufacturer:
Chip type:
DAC type:
Device Key: Enum\
Display Memory: n/a
Dedicated Memory: n/a
Shared Memory: n/a
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (1Hz)
Driver Name:
Driver File Version: ()
Driver Version:
DDI Version: unknown
Driver Model: unknown
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: , 0 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B70EE0-4340-11CF-B123-B03DAEC2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x0000
Device ID: 0x0000
SubSys ID: 0x00000000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Driver Strong Name: Unknown
Rank Of Driver: Unknown
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
D3D9 Overlay: n/a
DXVA-HD: n/a
DDraw Status: Not Available
D3D Status: Not Available
AGP Status: Not Available

Upgrade advisor report:

Windows Aero support

Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.
Go online to learn more about Windows Aero.

here you go:

Thanks... Unfortunately my suspicions were correct. If you check the screenshot you'll see that the card is just too old, upgrading would be a better option.

Oops, my bad, the download I gave you was the standard vga. The nvidia one shows the same thing but it's compatible with my hardware.
Just letting you know. I'll try getting a update right now.
Oh and I have code 43 on my driver, so if you can help me out with that, it would be great. I'm sure that's the one last step I need to fix to get my driver working :)

Code 43 means:

Device Manager said:
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.

One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner. For more information about how to diagnose the problem, see the hardware documentation.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

quadcake said:
I remember it being a GeForce4 MX 420 (or 440) with AGP8X.

GeForce4 Series are not compattible with Windows 7.

Back