Windows 8 Start / Desktop Screens

donb2012

Extraordinary Member
When I start/restart my pc it goes to the start screen, but then it immediately changes to the desktop screen by itself. I thought an application might have cause it to do this, but I disabled all the apps that automatically start up on boot and still the same result. I want it to stay on the start screen and I switch to the desktop screen myself. I'm really confuse, any ideas?

Do you have a thrid party legacy start menu installed? Sevral of these have the through boot as an option. Otherwise, if not, you may have a program called "Skip Metro Settings" installed, which also does it. In either case, if you open one or the other, you will find an option to switch the fucntion off.

Do you have a thrid party legacy start menu installed? Sevral of these have the through boot as an option. Otherwise, if not, you may have a program called "Skip Metro Settings" installed, which also does it. In either case, if you open one or the other, you will find an option to switch the fucntion off.

I did installed an app called "Power8" which is start button for windows 8, but uninstalled it and still same result. I definitely didn't install "Skip Metro Settings" does it come with W8?

No it does not. I am not familiar with the program, although I did have a brief look at it,but I am certain that, in the options, there was one to by pass the Metro screen. It could have left some registry entries which are causing your problem.
But I also recall that it introduced a Service. Open Services.msc and scroll down and see if there is such. If so, disable it and reboot and see if the problem has gone.
Alternatively (same as above really) Open a command prompt as administrator. Type sc delete "Start 8" and then enter. Reboot and check.

I opened Services.mcs and nothing out of the ordinary, I also tried sc delete "Start 8" all I got was this message "The specified service does not exist as an installed service." Now that I think about this happened even before I installed Power8 so I doubt it's the problem. I'm mystified.

Just to clarify? When you say it goes straight to the desktop screen, you do mean the the legacy screen (as in Windows 7), and not the so called "Metro" screen?

I would suspect that Power8 set something in the registry to automatically go to the Desktop. When you uninstalled Power8 it did not reset this registry value. This article may offer some clues about where to look for this registry value.

Personally I have used both Classic Shell and now Start8 and do have them set to bypass the Win 8 Style Start Screen. Both allow this to be set to NOT bypass the Win 8 Start Screen as well. Perhaps installing one of these apps, setting the option to NOT bypass the Win 8 Start Screen, then uninstalling would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I figured it out now, it was the desktop background. I had it set to change picture every 15 minutes (shuffle) and so I disabled it, restarted my computer and it stayed on the start screen without switching to the desktop. Funny thing is always had a feeling that the desktop background might be the culprit, but I never ran with it until today. I guess problem solved, thanks to everyone who replied, greatly appreciated.:tears_of_joy:

Back