Windows 8 Still fighting the firewall.

Hi Guys

I actually had the files in both locations.
It installed them by default into the (x86) directory but I copied them to Program Files to match the instructions.

I finally got the Change Directory CD command in the right place, it's been a long time as I said before.

It did run and took a long time to do it.

I rebooted and I still get the same message, "Access Denied" when I try to start Firewall Services.

I just don't get it.

But I think I'll stop beating a dead horse.

When Windows Blue comes out I may do a complete new install if that's possible.

What I'd really like to do is dual boot Blue with my current install and make the transition like I did from 7 to 8.

Any idea if that will be possible or if there is going to be a beta program for Blue, before it releases?

Mike

Any idea if that will be possible or if there is going to be a beta program for Blue, before it releases?

Mike
Yep... public preview of Windows 8.1 on or about June 26th during their Build Conference. Not exactly beta but something similar. And reportedly an RTM sometime in August. Not sure about the General Availability date following the RTM but likely pretty promptly.

I hope they will allow the preview to be installed in a new directory as a dual boot OS.

If it will do that then it will probably let me do the same with the final version, and I can transfer my programs from one to the other.

This would probably make it unnecessary to reintsall a lot of my stuff, as it did when I switched from 7 to 8 on my old computer.

And hopefully the firewall will start working again.

Mike

One of your attachments seems to indicate you are not using a password. Is that the situation, or is that is shown if you are using the Microsoft account to log on?

Is your mspdrv running, which you can check in msinfo32.exe?

You might look through this key. If you had another system to compare it to, it would be nice.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MpsSvc

You can compare to the BFE entry, but they will not be exactly the same, such as Required Privileges and paths. See if the ServiceSidType for both services are the same.

Hi

I'm not using a password right now but I have tried using a password a several points during this process.

Normally I don't and I'm not using the Microsoft account to log in.

Yes, mpsdrv is up and running.

Mpsdrv.JPG

Here are the registry entries, I have to say I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for here. LOL

Registry 01.JPG

Registry 02.JPG

If you can compare it to your entry and see if you can identify some variance let me know.

I superimposed the two images.

Other than the things that I would expect to be different, names etc this is the line that's not the same on the bfe and firewall entries.

Bfe on top...

Difference 2.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Difference.jpg
    Difference.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 768
Last edited by a moderator:
Those two settings for those two keys look identical on my install. We'll wait for Saltgrass to check and confirm regarding his.
In the mean time can you right click on those two keys and choose "Permissions" and confirm that both "Administrators" and "System" have "Full Control" set?

Hi Trouble

We may be onto something here.

Permissions 01.JPG

Permissions 02.JPG

Full control wasn't set for anyone on the firewall service plus the first window has a category that says Everyone, the firewall window doesn't have an entry like that.

I changed the permissions to full for my user account and I'll reboot now.

Mike

Mine looks about the same except BFE shows Base Filtering Engine for a Display name instead of the path, but probably doesn't matter.

Both BFE and MpsSvc show the attached permissions dialog. The Wfplwfs mentioned as being required for BFE is also a driver running and starting during boot. But since BFE is running, it is probably also.

I also found the following link. Perhaps if you know how to disable the firewall, it might give you a clue how to enable it. There seem to be other troubleshooting options on the link....

I Need to Disable Windows Firewall

You might also think about running one of the DISM.exe commands on your system. It is supposed to clean up images, perhaps it would find something wrong with yours. Double check the commands, but it might be something like:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

I just ran it on mine and it took about 15 minutes. If you have modifications on your system, you may not want to do this. I also assume you have run a System File Check.

You added the "Everyone" entry in one of your prior procedures.

Attachments

• BFE Registry.JPG
    BFE Registry.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 623
Neither of my two keys had the "Everyone" Group even listed in the permissions dialog box.
That is why I asked specifically about the "Administrators" and "System" permissions on both keys as they were the only two listed that had "Full" permissions set on those two keys. The remaining accounts had either "Read" or "Special"

Whooo Hooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I added a user called everyone, to the firewall permissions panel and gave it full permissions and then rebooted.

When I went to services and said start the firewall it did!!!!!!

I can't believe is worked.

I'll check back later to confirm that it keeps working.

Thanks for the help everyone this has been one of the hardest fixes in history.

Thanks Thouble for suggesting checking the permissions in the registry!

I never had a clue about looking there.

Wooooooooo Hoooooo!!!!

Mike

this has been one of the hardest fixes in history.
Not sure that this qualifies as a fix. More like a work around as adding full control to the everyone group should not be needed on either of those two keys.
Having said that.... I'm sure glad you have it running so you can get your updates and or whatever else it was preventing you from accomplishing.
Regards
Randy

Hi

It's possible that I only needed to change the permissions for my user, but I decided to go with changing everything.
I'm not sure where the Everyone user came from it doesn't show up if I look at my Users list.

I have uninstalled the Comodo firewall and rebooted several times and the firewall is starting automatically and shows as running in the security windows.

I was worried that I would have problems getting Windows Blue since it says that it will be delivered through the app store, and that won't work without the firewall.

Thanks again everyone but especially Randy!!!

Mike

I took snips of my permissions setting on the BFE key and attached them FYI, in case you want to play somemore.
Both BFE and MpsSvc are set identically. The only thing I saw that was kinda unique was the settings for Creator Owner, which were set to "Special" "Full Control" "subkeys only". for what that's worth.

Attachments

• Administrators.JPG
    Administrators.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 755
  • AllAppPack.jpg
    AllAppPack.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 681
  • CreatorOwner.jpg
    CreatorOwner.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 629
  • System.jpg
    System.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 629
  • Users.jpg
    Users.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 653
There is another key you might want to check out. Maybe some of the permissions there might be involved. Also, in the subkeys, the one that should be involved is the LocalServiceNoNetwork.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

I was also wondering why the DPS service was running in a service host where BFE and MpsSvc both seem to need permissions for Everyone to be enabled. It seems DPS is owned by the Administrator where the other two are owned by the System.

Maybe the System user does not have the correct permissions for it to run certain services. I will see if I can find out if there is a way to set those.

Hi

As far as I can tell everything is working fine.
I downloaded an app from the app store just to make sure it was working.

I have a creator owner ID too, and it is set to Special Permissions like yours.
The only thing different is the Everyone and I added that myself.
Everything else looks the same as yours does now.

I think the Everyone may not be necessary but I'm going to leave it for now, and leave well enough alone.

I've rebooted a number of times and the firewall is working normally.

I don't know how it got messed up to start with, but at least I can access the store when Windows Blue comes along.

Once Blue gets here we'll all be starting over anyway.

Mike

hi guys! Signed up today to give proper credits to you guys! Thanks a million! Firewall now working! Yahooooo

what i did was, to cut short... Hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\(bfe,mpssvc,sharedaccess), permission, add Everyone, then click full control. Thank you soooooo much bros

what i did was, to cut short... Regedit, Hk
ey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\(bfe,mpssvc,sharedaccess), permission, add Everyone, then click full control. Thank you soooooo much bros

Hi

Just here to report that since the fix, I haven't had any issues with the firewall, other than the fact that it obviously isn't as effective and the aftermarket one.

But since Windows 8 won't work without it, there isn't any option but to have it running.

Mike

AFAIR this isnt the first time i had this issue. First time is when i restored system, uninstall bitdefender, then firewall was affected. Installed hitman. Run a scan and hitman detected the culprit, forgot if its malware or virus. After removing, restart, firewall begins to work again

Back
Top Bottom