Windows 7 Stuck in Selective Startup

BootStrapped

I got a new laptop recently (Windows 7 Home Premius SP1), and but there were several dozen updates that wouldn't install. After looking around online a bit, I eventually decided to go to msconfig and change the startup to only boot with windows programs, which solved that particular problem.

Now however I can't change it back to normal startup.

If I change it back and click apply, then when I go back in the setting is as before. If I just click "okay" and restart with new settings, then it does a selective startup anyway and reverts the settings.

Is there a way out of this?

When you buy a new computer, or a car or a refrigerator, it's supposed to work. You just plug it in, or turn the key... it's supposed to work.

The fact that updates wouldn't install indicates that something was wrong from the start. In stead of fighting with it yourself, I'd suggest you take it to the seller. You have a warranty for a working machine, don't you?

Titanic is correct about the system should work when you get it...assuming something about your setup, internet or firewall, or anti-virus is causing the Windows Update problem.

But my system always boots using the Selective Startup option. Over time, I have disabled some items on the Startup Tab in msconfig, but did not remove them from the registry. I don't think it will do a normal Startup unless everything is enabled.

Maybe if I would go ahead and get mine back to normal, I would know what to do for yours..... :redface:

When you buy a new computer, or a car or a refrigerator, it's supposed to work. You just plug it in, or turn the key... it's supposed to work.

The fact that updates wouldn't install indicates that something was wrong from the start. In stead of fighting with it yourself, I'd suggest you take it to the seller. You have a warranty for a working machine, don't you?

The company's software warranty doesn't seem to be particularly good. I think I could get basic technical support (although damage caused directly or indirectly by such support is explicitly not covered), and if all else fails they are willing to replace it with a "comparable" "not necessarily new" computer. If the original shipping was anything to go by, the used replacement might well take a month to arrive, and I wouldn't be surprised if I had to pay the shipping both ways.

It would be a lot better if I could sort through this myself, but since I can't find any help with the MSCONFIG problem, I guess I'll have to try going through whatever tech support system they have (I doubt that will work either though).

If it can't be fixed I think I'll just return the damn thing and pay the "restocking fee".

I was expecting some feedback about the Startup Items I suggested...

Go to the msconfig startup tab and disable and then enable all....but we need feedback as to what you are seeing..You may still have the original problem and cannot reselect that entry. but you have to track it down by deselecting some of the others. But it will probably stay in the current status until you remove the offending entry from the registry so you don't have to leave it unchecked.

Are you seeing any errors or warnings in the Event Viewer around the time your start your system?

I was expecting some feedback about the Startup Items I suggested...

Go to the msconfig startup tab and disable and then enable all....but we need feedback as to what you are seeing..You may still have the original problem and cannot reselect that entry. but you have to track it down by deselecting some of the others. But it will probably stay in the current status until you remove the offending entry from the registry so you don't have to leave it unchecked.

Are you seeing any errors or warnings in the Event Viewer around the time your start your system?

All the startup stuff is already enabled. The services are all enabled except one (that can't be changed either). I haven't seen anything in the event viewer that stands out, although it notes some of the services that stop on startup (even though they're enabled in msconfig).

Could it have something to do with the hybrid drive? I think it's supposed to cache these sorts of files to speed startup. But why would it register the first time I changed settings msconfig and not afterwards?

The services are all enabled except one (that can't be changed either)
OK, I'll bite, which service is not enabled...?

I think it's supposed to cache these sorts of files
What do you mean by "These Sorts of files"?

You need to understand, we can check our systems against yours to see if the service might be important. And many problems have been solved by something that the poster originally did not consider important.

The service that isn't checked is some proprietary thing called "fast boot service of Lenovo." I think it boots at the same speed anyway though. (It's a Lenovo U410 ultrabook)

The small SSD is supposed to be something that can't be accessed, but which automatically copies heavily used files to make the PC seem to have a faster memory than the HDD itself can actually provide. Because of its limited size, it primarily ends up storing files from the OS and it's main benefit is faster boot and wake-from-sleep times.

I can't seem to find your system on the Lenovo site. But the Rapid Start might be a version of the Intel Rapid Start. I have no experience with the Hybrid drives, but maybe that service is involved with the Hybrid... You should be able to find out on the support site for the unit.

I do run a SSD, but not one used just for fast response. Looks like Seagate makes that type of drive, maybe something on their site would be helpful.

Anyway, if you get that straightened out, maybe your system will be able to boot normally.

Back
Top Bottom